Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a way to know which channels Genie is tracking?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

In the promotion for Genie they say you can tune in late to a show and watch it from the beginning. This is misleading since it is only true if one of the Genie's five tuners is tuned to the channel you want to watch. So the question is how do I know which channels the Genie is tuned to?

I almost never watch live TV and have all the shows I watch setup as a series. But every once in awhile I hear about a program that I don't want to watch regularly but they are running an episode I would like to watch and if I forget to tune to it when it starts it might be useful to know if it is being buffered on one of Genie's tuners. NOVA would be a good example. I'm not interested in everything they run but occasionally they run something I want to watch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,477 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

In cases like that, I generally set a one time recording of the series, to pick up that one episode.

#3 ONLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

There was a feature on DISH that would auto-tune to a program yet not record it. It probably disappeared because it was not really a popular concept. Also, it made less sense once multiple tuners arrived, because a single tuner always showed the single channel the tuner was tuned to, while multiple tuners do not.

A workaround is to set a 1-minute manual recording of a show prior to the one you want in the buffer (for DVRs that can select among the buffers of channels that they are "tuned" to on the tuner side but not otherwise visible on the output side). There is probably a way to make that work for conventional 2-tuner DVRs as well, but you would probably have to set two concurrent recordings, or set one for 2 minutes and another for 1 minute ( and 1 minute later) to make the second one select that tuner and route it to the output.

But that's a lot of work.

If you regularly wish you had a one-off of the latest ep of a show but don't want to pile up a lot of old eps, I like dpeter's idea. Set a SL and set it to keep one ep.

I've been using that technique for a similar reason, which is that I lost most of the final season of Smallville. TNT or someone is running Smallville in sequential order 5 or 6 nights a week at about 3 AM, and I don't want to record all of the previous shows in the series, so having it keep one ep means that it will constantly be in the To Do List, and if I check that regularly I will know when to record the missing eps. I can also delete the eps scheduled that I don't want ahead of time and it will not take any HDD space at all for them, but even if I don't check in more than once every 9 or 10 days it is unlikely that I will miss the ones I want.

Edited by TomCat, 11 June 2013 - 07:57 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

In cases like that, I generally set a one time recording of the series, to pick up that one episode.

Exactly. Far easier to do, and requires no clock watching to tune it.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,576 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

The only way I have been able to "go back" is if the channel is being watched on a client. or it is recoding live

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,477 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Autotune is available on non DVRs on DirecTV. I never remember it's there, but was reminded last night when I saw them set up an autotune on one of their 80 TVs.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

When I was using an H25, I tested autotune a few times, and found it useful only as a timer. If I am really concerned with watching something, I record it. No ifs, ands or buts. 

#8 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Autotune would be nice on DVR's especially for people that watch more LiveTV than recording, but also to remind you of a program that you didn't remember and decide to record it on the spot after setting up to Autotune that specific channel and time.

Edited by acostapimps, 14 June 2013 - 10:40 AM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Autotune would be nice on DVR's especially for people that watch more LiveTV than recording, but also to remind you of a program that you didn't remember and decide to record it on the spot after setting up to Autotune that specific channel and time.

If you remembered to set an autotune, you would have then the opportunity to set a recording. 

A recording is always safer than autotune or a buffer. People sometimes leave the room just before a critical juncture in the process. 

spam firewall