Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

King & Maxwell

* out of ***** from me

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

Well that was a giant disappointment.

When I saw that they had paired possibly the hottest supermodel/actress of all time with Jon Tenney, who has a boatload of credentials as one of the best dramatic/comedic appealing actors out there, I was really rooting for this to be a hit.

It will not be a hit, I fear, unless we have really lowered our standards.

Even as good as those two leads can be, they have little to work with. The entire idea is preposterous. The writing is as amateurish as it gets. The production values are cheesy, and the production music matches the rest of the show perfectly, as both are boring, tentative, poorly-executed, and gutless. There is no sexual tension between the leads whatsoever; in fact we can't figure out if they have a history, are possibly brother and sister, or if they even like or trust each other. They appear to be handcuffed together somehow, and the only clue to this is that each separately screwed up a plum assignment in a past life. Who cares?

They are not Nick and Norah; they are not Mr. and Mrs. Smith. And they are not even workable rip-offs of either much-better idea. I don't know what they are trying to be, but what they aren't is interesting.

I knew we were in trouble when things started with a meaningless bus chase, a guy in a squirrel suit, and them getting arrested for a reason we can't even understand (none of which is germane to the story), all to let us know they are unconventional. Unconventional can be interesting, but not as portrayed here. And those are not spoilers; the spoiling had already happened in the writer's room.

This show actually makes all of the other ampersand-based shows, such as Franklin & Bash, Rizzoli & Isles, and any other number of really hacky cable shows look a lot better, but none of them are, sadly, watchable. And this may be the least-watchable summer cable show since the dreadful Memphis Beat, which proved that completely useless and boring shows can get multiple-season runs on cable. Lets pray that this one gets a merciful euthanasia long before it gets a second season; the only reason to keep this show in production is so that the untalented producers and hack writers don't move on and pollute other shows.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,741 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

You weren't paying attention, It was a beaver suit.

• trh likes this

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

This pilot was based on David Baldacci's King & Maxwell book "The Sixth Man". Not only did they try to condense a 400+ page book into a one hour TV show (43 minutes?), but also provide background info on the two characters that had been previously developed in the first four books.  As my kids would say: "Fail".

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Well pilots are squally shot and scripted separate from the rest of a the series. Hopefully it will get better cause I gee it was a bit scatter to say the least.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

I liked it. It was funny and a mystery at the same time, kinda like Castle.

• tnd777 likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

The books are awesome.  And Baldacci says he consulted and according to his Facebook page, he approved the scripts.  I haven't watched yet.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

I liked it and for what it is worth, I also like Rizzolli and Isles and the Finder. They didn't even have to have a gay person like all seem to do now. Nor did they have to bash capitalism. To me, it was just good clean fun. I don't expect War and Peace in a one hour show! I sure hope they don't cancel it.

• tnd777 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm with you.  I thought it was a very enjoyable show to watch.

And I like most of the '&' shows as well.  I guess my pinky isn't raised high enough to turn my nose up at fun shows yet!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,118 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Mrs. Fluffybear thought it was kind of boring but didn't rule out giving another episode a try..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

You weren't paying attention, It was a beaver suit.

Oh. OK, then. I take it all back.

Actually, I was paying attention, and now I remember it being a beaver suit. So I am happy to stand corrected (which explains the orthopedic shoes). But the importance of whether it was or not did not register with me enough for me to remember it 12 hours later. Sue me. That this did not register with me is a writing failure, BTW, not a watching and remembering failure.

For the rest of you, you are entitled to consider this show "fun". Enjoy. Somebody should, or they wasted EV-eryone's time. But that some of us do not see it as fun in any way does not make our opinion of it elitist in any way.

Whether it has gay or straight characters is not important to me; I don't even care if they shoehorn in a gay character because they feel the need to. Even Ross the intern is not flamboyant enough to rile me. If the characters had some sort of human vitality beyond their apparent pervasive asexuality, even if gay, that would have been much more interesting than what these characters are portraying.

I also don't care if the stories or character's opinions are politically polarized, which is apparently the criterion for some of us.

And I am not bashing this show because it is fashionable or I think that might make me look smart or sophisticated. As I said, I really wanted to like it. I am bashing this show because I was so very disappointed in it, and because IMHO it is beyond terrible and deserves it.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hmmm. Well, within my ranking scale of the cable summer scripted offerings, I'd give the pilot a "average summer fare with greater potential" rating . Like so many of the cable channel summer series it's light and is no more or less believable than "Rizzoli & Isles" and "Royal Pains". Sure, I think "Longmire" and "The Killing" are stronger dramas but they are darker. I'll certainly give this Baldacci characters a chance given the cast.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

OK, but that's a little like saying that of The Three Stooges, Moe was the smart one.

Edited by TomCat, 15 June 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

OK, but that's a little like saying that of The Three Stooges, Moe was the smart one.

In your opinion. Why can't people let others have their own tastes and opinions?
  • tnd777 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

OK, but that's a little like saying that of The Three Stooges, Moe was the smart one.

He was.:)

#15 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

I didn't think the pilot episode was so bad!  The one thing that struck me is that Rebecca Romijn is no actress.  And apparently the producers didn't cast her as window dressing either with those awful pantsuits she wears.  If anything keeps viewers interest it will be Jon Tenny who is an awesome actor.  Oh, and maybe the stories.  :cool:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

In your opinion. Why can't people let others have their own tastes and opinions?

Well yes, Captain Obvious, in my opinion.

What part of this is a forum on the internet do you not get? This one in particular is all about opinion.

And who says we can't have different opinions? I never looked down my nose at anyone for liking a TV show I am disappointed in, after all. Stop trying to make it look that way. I am never defensive regarding my opinion in an issue of taste, only when someone tries to have an opinion regarding facts that belie that opinion. Facts are facts and there is only one interpretation, but opinions, especially about something as objective as art, can be of any flavor and still not invalidate each other. This is exactly why Baskin-Robbins has 32 flavors.

You can have whatever opinion you want. Because I am passionate about mine, does that mean I can't have an opinion? Or that my passion regarding my opinion somehow infringes on your right to have your own?

Please.

And even with that opinion, I am still actually watching, hoping it gets better. So far, maybe a little bit. Ep 2 gained ground and then lost it with an ill-choreographed takedown that completely defied the laws of physics as well as violated every rule of professional film editing. The guy is clearly falling on his backside and magically is somehow instantly thrown face down. To add insult to injury, and as every secret serviceman or law enforcement person or viewer of a fake law enforcement person on TV knows, it is a rookie mistake to not kick the gun away from a perp who is lying on the ground 8 inches from that gun. Nitpicking, maybe, but still just one of a series of ridiculous production choices by a bush league production team.

#17 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Well yes, Captain Obvious, in my opinion.

What part of this is a forum on the internet do you not get? This one in particular is all about opinion.

And who says we can't have different opinions? I never looked down my nose at anyone for liking a TV show I am disappointed in, after all. Stop trying to make it look that way. I am never defensive regarding my opinion in an issue of taste, only when someone tries to have an opinion regarding facts that belie that opinion. Facts are facts and there is only one interpretation, but opinions, especially about something as objective as art, can be of any flavor and still not invalidate each other. This is exactly why Baskin-Robbins has 32 flavors.

You can have whatever opinion you want. Because I am passionate about mine, does that mean I can't have an opinion? Or that my passion regarding my opinion somehow infringes on your right to have your own?

Please.

And even with that opinion, I am still actually watching, hoping it gets better. So far, maybe a little bit. Ep 2 gained ground and then lost it with an ill-choreographed takedown that completely defied the laws of physics as well as violated every rule of professional film editing. The guy is clearly falling on his backside and magically is somehow instantly thrown face down. To add insult to injury, and as every secret serviceman or law enforcement person or viewer of a fake law enforcement person on TV knows, it is a rookie mistake to not kick the gun away from a perp who is lying on the ground 8 inches from that gun. Nitpicking, maybe, but still just one of a series of ridiculous production choices by a bush league production team.

I like it.

It is entertainment, not a documentary. In entertainment you can do pretty much whatever you want to do.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Notwithstanding all the various posts in this thread, after watching the finale my wife who had doubts about this show declared: "It really works. I hope they renew it."

I too am glad we gave it a chance. Now will TNT?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,741 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

I like the characters, but the show itself is only average.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Drucifer is pretty on target here. There are no cast problems, both leads are very charismatic and attractive, and each has enough chops to portray likable characters. Were I casting this show, I would be ecstatic to get two actors of this caliber.

There are two problems dragging down the show. .

1. Weak writing, and I've made that point already. And whatever character development there is suffers due to that. These actors portraying these characters with better writing could be pretty formidable. Without that support, they really aren't. Thus, my crushing level of disappointment in a golden opportunity squandered.

2. Weak directing.

For instance, the opening scene of ep 1 is a very dangerous car chase through a busy downtown urban setting, the point of which was never really explained, and something the viewer was never allowed to become invested in (see problem 1 above). But our first glimpse of Maxwell is her driving through all of this as if she is completely in control and nothing fazes her in the least.

Really? To a 9-year old that probably says "she's cool under pressure", but I am not a 9-year old. To me this says "this woman is an insane psychopath". Even ever-stoic Jason Statham in all of his car-chase-based scenes does not emote (or fail to emote) like this; for someone like JS, it is easy to understand that he understands how dangerous the risks are that he is taking simply by observing how the character acts. And the tone of what the character presents is decided by, you guessed it, the director. Which means the director here is not a very skilled one or a very good one. We as viewers need a reason to identify with the characters, and not to be forced into gaping at them as if they were some sort of human train-wreck. Serial killer Dexter, SERIAL KILLER Dexter, who actually IS an insane psychopath, is much more easy for a normal viewer to relate to than these one-dimensional cardboard cutouts.

I'm trying to stay with it, really I am, but they are piling up on my DVR and fall is coming, which promises a lot of probably better choices. The show did get a little better around ep 3, but that's about as far as I got.

Edited by TomCat, 14 August 2013 - 07:55 PM.

spam firewall