Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Content protection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gpauljr

gpauljr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Just got a new Panasonic TCP65st60.  When I go to access premium channels such as HBO, a message comes up for a short (and I mean short) time saying that "This TV does not support content protection and you need to use component cables...)" or something like that.  I changed cables, ports on the TV with same result.  DirecTV says it is not their problem and of course Panasonic support is shut down for the night.  Any advice?  I have the latest software update for the TV.  Not sure if this is the right forum, but had to start somewhere.  Have never had this problem with any other TV including Panasonic, and I have seven of various brands.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Putting the TV aside for the moment, do you have anything else connected to either the composite or component outputs of the dvr (such as a slingbox, vcr, dvd recorder, etc)?

If so thats the reason your getting the nag message screen.

If your solely hooked up to the TV however, try one of the following to correect the sistuation:

1. Have you rebooted the DVR? If not do so.

2. If the problem still persists, try a different HDMI cable. If the problem persists go to the next step.

3. Is your TV on the latest firmware available from Panasonic for your specific model? If not, then upgrade the TV's firmware by the procedure indicated in it's manual for doing so.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

If the message comes up and then goes away and the movie / program plays,

it might just be a slow HDMI handshake.

Do you have the resolution set to just 1080i and the Native to OFF ?

If not, I would try that and see if this changed channels a little bit quicker and avoids this message.

If the message comes up and goes away and the picture goes away then none of the post is relative.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   gpauljr

gpauljr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for your replies.  Nothing else connected to component outputs, only an optical cable to receiver.  I rebooted the DVR, same message, then program flashed off and on (same as before).  Tried a different high quality HDMI cable, and made sure firmware on TV was up to date.  Still same problem.

Update.  I turned TV off as well as DVR and came back after a little while to see if my new Oppo DVD player would work with copy protected material.  No problem.  Then turned DirecTV back on and everything worked.  Perhaps turning the TV off and then on cleared it somehow.  Am still concerned and will call Panasonic tomorrow.  Weird!!!

Thanks again for your help.  Was getting a little concerned as the TV is brand new, and am mounting it on wall tomorrow.  Didn't want to go through taking it down if the set is broken as it is heavy and bulky.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Sounds like the handshake just got messed up the first time.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

You will occasionally get that message to flash on the screen, its just a delay in the handshake, as long as it goes away, and on mine it always does, its just a slight annoyance.

Edited by CCarncross, 12 June 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

You will occasionally get that message to flash on the screen, its just a delay in the handshake, as long as it goes away, and on mine it always does, its just a slight annoyance.

+1......I had that issue with my HR24-500. I just ignored it. Have yet to experience it with my HR34-700.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

This happens all of the time on 2 of my 3 TV's.  Even calling it a "slight annoyance" is a overstatement.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

What is the model of this receiver?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall