Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New house, questions about multi rooms

Multi Rooms

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thedonn

thedonn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hey guys.  I been a directv sub for way over 10 years now.  Currently in a new house, coming up on 2 years.  I only have a dual line HD DVR in my man cave and a standard HD box one of the 3 other bedrooms.  So I have 2 bedrooms and a living room with no Satellite hookup.  I wanted to see if I can add 2 lines running to 1 bed room and the living room but only get 1 extra HD box that I could move around when needed.  Is this feesible?  I actually called them and I got a sort of run around answer.

HD DVR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

You can do that.  You can have the two locations wired then move the receiver from one room to the other when you want to.  Or you could just use an HDMI splitter and constantly have both rooms connected.  In that case, I would get an RF remote for the second location so you could still change the channel from there.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Well, it's feasible if you do it yourself! And possible the installer will do it, for a fee, or for free. I doubt DIRECTV will tell you it can be done that way as a standard practice; pretty much seems to be between you and the installer. This is my guess; I am not an installer myself. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

Hdmi splitter likely wnt work right, they often cause lots of hdcp issues. Same with using a hdmi and component out at the same time.

With that said, it can be done.maybe even have them hook up an extra box and then after the install by a week, deactivate one box and return it...m that will get it installed for ya, and you'd just need to learn how to move the box and make sure you terminate the unused location.

#5 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

With that said, it can be done.maybe even have them hook up an extra box and then after the install by a week, deactivate one box and return it...m that will get it installed for ya, and you'd just need to learn how to move the box and make sure you terminate the unused location.

He could just have the first receiver setup as a relocate so that the technician is expected to wire it in a new location, then move it back when the technician is done.  Just be clear with the technician that he is to leave the first location connected to the switch/splitter.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Much nicer solution. 

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

while this is possible as posted, I find this to be very inconvenient. I like my TV to be ready when I am ready

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

while this is possible as posted, I find this to be very inconvenient. I like my TV to be ready when I am ready

To what do you refer? What is inconvenient? No antecedents make it difficult to understand your post. 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

To what do you refer? What is inconvenient? No antecedents make it difficult to understand your post.

I find swapping receivers around to be inconvenient. disconnect receiver, haul to other room, connect receiver, wait for it to boot up,,,,I like pressing ON and be done

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Ah, I see. I was referring only to the installation. And I believe the OP intends to move the receiver infrequently.

Another way to go is an owned receiver which could be deactivated as needed. 

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:33 AM

He could just have the first receiver setup as a relocate so that the technician is expected to wire it in a new location, then move it back when the technician is done. Just be clear with the technician that he is to leave the first location connected to the switch/splitter.

Or yeah, do that..:)

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Ah, I see. I was referring only to the installation. And I believe the OP intends to move the receiver infrequently.

Another way to go is an owned receiver which could be deactivated as needed.

Exactly, that would be a more "elegant" solution

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...