Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR playback doesn't fill the screen (16x9, 1080)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scscsc

scscsc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

I've searched the Hopper/Joey forum, but I couldn't find anything that described the problem I see.  There was Display Standard Def in 4:3 and not Stretched and Picture is cut off, but neither matched what I see.

Ok, so the same TV and same input (HDMI) as my old ViP722 was connected to, but now with a Hopper+Sling (the actual Hopper, not a Joey).  Configured to 1080p/1080i, 16x9, and properly adjusted in the Settings->Format TV menu (during the adjustment, one up overflows the screen, one down leaves black space on the edges).  For some reason, DVR'd shows do not fill the screen (see the attached photo).  I would have blamed my TV, but the ViP722 worked just fine - and the half fill is even visible in the tiny window while the menu is open (see second photo) - and the menu fills the full screen... Also, watching anything live fills the screen.  But, if I record a live show that is filling the screen, and then play it back, it only fills about half the screen.

I'm familiar with the * zoom button, as it has been on Dish remotes forever.

• Normal: shown in the screen shot
  • Stretch: Fat people, with black bars on the top and bottom
  • Partial Zoom: Slightly wider than my screen (some cropping), but doesn't fill top to bottom - and looks pretty grainy
  • Zoom: Too large in both height and width (cropped in both directions) - and looks pretty grainy
  • Gray bar: same as Normal, but with gray bars instead of black

The channels I'm looking at have the HD logo in the guide (I am not on SD channels).

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

That is very bizarre.  Do live programs fill the screen?

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Looks to me like it is filling the screen, because the bugs overlay the letterboxing on the top and bottom. History has several odd-shaped programs that don't quite fit 16x9. 

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

try next to HDTV icon - there you can increase/decrease/shift size of DVR picture to fit it into your TV screen

#5 OFFLINE   scscsc

scscsc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

That is very bizarre.  Do live programs fill the screen?

Yes, the same show live fills the screen.  If I watch the recording while it is still in progress, it fills the screen.  If I watch it after it is done recording, it no longer fills.

#6 OFFLINE   scscsc

scscsc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Looks to me like it is filling the screen, because the bugs overlay the letterboxing on the top and bottom. History has several odd-shaped programs that don't quite fit 16x9. 

I noticed that too... very strange.  I'll have to find that show live to see if the bugs are cropped or if that show is also shruken when live.

#7 OFFLINE   scscsc

scscsc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

try next to HDTV icon - there you can increase/decrease/shift size of DVR picture to fit it into your TV screen

Are you referring to the FormatTV menu where it shows the guide and I hit +/-?  I already did that (per my original message).  As you can see, the Hopper menus properly fill the screen.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

well, then you could investigate the stream ... perhaps it's not good for internal scaler

#9 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

I would say you are recording the "SD" channel instead of the HD channel for some reason.

I know "seek & record" timers will do that.

Check the info banner to verify which was actually recorded.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#10 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I agree with n0qcu, be sure your timers are set for the HD version of the channel not the SD version.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...