I've searched the Hopper/Joey forum, but I couldn't find anything that described the problem I see. There was Display Standard Def in 4:3 and not Stretched and Picture is cut off, but neither matched what I see.
Ok, so the same TV and same input (HDMI) as my old ViP722 was connected to, but now with a Hopper+Sling (the actual Hopper, not a Joey). Configured to 1080p/1080i, 16x9, and properly adjusted in the Settings->Format TV menu (during the adjustment, one up overflows the screen, one down leaves black space on the edges). For some reason, DVR'd shows do not fill the screen (see the attached photo). I would have blamed my TV, but the ViP722 worked just fine - and the half fill is even visible in the tiny window while the menu is open (see second photo) - and the menu fills the full screen... Also, watching anything live fills the screen. But, if I record a live show that is filling the screen, and then play it back, it only fills about half the screen.
I'm familiar with the * zoom button, as it has been on Dish remotes forever.
- Normal: shown in the screen shot
- Stretch: Fat people, with black bars on the top and bottom
- Partial Zoom: Slightly wider than my screen (some cropping), but doesn't fill top to bottom - and looks pretty grainy
- Zoom: Too large in both height and width (cropped in both directions) - and looks pretty grainy
- Gray bar: same as Normal, but with gray bars instead of black
The channels I'm looking at have the HD logo in the guide (I am not on SD channels).