Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Different Commercials?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Really weird and maybe I'm just seeing things, but I could swear that I saw two different commercials on my HR24-500 and my HR34-700 while watching CNN. I can see both from one room and I swear while watching CNN (202) one box had a different commercial.....maybe thats not possible....dunno

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Yes, quite possible. Was at least one of them for a local concern? Local ads can be inserted, and it seems they are already downloaded and reside on the HDD.  One box did it, and the other didn't, or it inserted a different ad. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Thanx!

That's why I come here, didn't know that, and it definitely could have led to a 'Twilight Zone' moment someday, and I have enough of those as it is.

:eek2:

#4 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Heh. It's only when the ad addresses you personally do you have to worry...... :hurah:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Not just locals, but regionals and nationals as well.

One of the great drawbacks of the broadcasting model is that it is difficult to target different demos with different commercials. But there is a lot of recent tech in cable/sat/OTA that is making it easier, so it is beginning to proliferate.

As a broadcaster, I have considered this a lot, and it would not surprise me to see different commercials going to OTA customers than to cable and sat customers. And one of the reasons it would not surprise me (and I am talking about that tech being driven by the station itself) is because it is already happening in most Cox and Comcast larger markets, for commercials for those cable companies (the station sends a different Cox cable commercial to OTA viewers than it does to actual Cox cable subscribers).

This allows them to target their current cable TV customers with adds about bundling in phone and internet, while targeting non-subscribers with commercials urging them to subscribe. After all, sending those commercials to folks who are already subscribed doesn't really buy them much.

I would also not be surprised to see the content itself begin to diverge, with different content going OTA than to cable and sat subs. This may even be driven to us faster than we expected due to FOX and CBS and ABC's reaction to the Aereo ruling.

Back to your question, I would suspect that if both DVRs had the commercial downloaded and had the capability to play it back, that both would have done just that, which means this may be a rare instance where both did not have this capability at that particular time, which implies that a great deal of commercials may already be reaching us by this sort of technology via DBS and cable, and we have no real way of knowing because other than a spot occasionally missing on one DVR or the other and someone watching both at the same time, we would never know.

Edited by TomCat, 12 June 2013 - 08:01 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Heh. It's only when the ad addresses you personally do you have to worry...... :hurah:

Like in "The Game" where the newscaster talks directly to Michael Douglas???  That was great!!!  I'm sure DirecTV is workiing on it.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well I did saw a mavtv June 10th commercial on a old recording I have from early this year which I don't remember seeing that at the time. Unless it was local inserted ad.

Edited by acostapimps, 13 June 2013 - 09:42 PM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...