Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 interferes with phone

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Speedracer007

Speedracer007

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Alabama

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

Got my HR44 and 2 C41 clients installed on Monday. 

Yesterday when I got home from work I went to use my home phone (yes, I still have a landline) and it did not work.  I use a local cable company for my phone and internet service -- everything comes into a box on a coax, then the box is plugged into the phone jack to "power" all the phone jacks in the house.

After talking to the phone provider and not getting anything fixed, I called the Tech who did the HR44 install.  He told me that they were just informed that day that there was an issue with the Genies interfering with the phones and to unplug it from the phone line.  After doing that the phones worked.  However, now I don't have the Caller ID option on the TV.

Anyone else heard of this or if there is a resolution?

Edited by Speedracer007, 12 June 2013 - 08:36 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Verify that the phone line was plugged into the phone jack and not the Ethernet port.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,198 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

I've not read of anything quite like that, but since I prefer my caller ID on the phone, and no message on the screen, I wouldn't have experienced it myself. 

You don't need to have a phone line attached, in spite of a few old messages to that effect. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,476 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

The caller ID does not work well with most of the HD receivers is what I read in a lot of posts.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I dumped Verizon, voice, internet and cell phone a year ago, and went with TimeWarner for internet services only, then got 2 magic jacks stand alone unites one for fax, with a year of service and I think 5 more years for a 100 bucks. I can't tell the deference. My DirecTV system uses the TimeWarner internet, and the magic jack has caller ID. I unplugged the phone years ago as I found it to be a pain in the neck.

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Internet phone varies from cable co. and Telco's.   There isn't any mandatory standard anyone has to follow.    The STB manufacturers typically design for standard Copper wire specs (like Ma Bell) but if your cable company wants to save a few bucks on the EMTA, they can do what they want.  

I have a traditional phone line and CID has worked perfectly for every Directv box I've ever had going back many, many years. Including the HR44.

VoIP phone and magic jack and cellular telephone interfaces are good for many folks but each have plus and minuses.

#7 OFFLINE   mark_winn

mark_winn

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Verify that the phone line was plugged into the phone jack and not the Ethernet port.

Wow ! I was having the same issue and checked. I was actually plugging into the Ethernet port. This little tip saved me a big headache. Definitely need to be careful and use a flashlight :-).
2 HR24's,1 HR20,2 HR21
2- 46" Samsung LCD,,32" Samsung LCD, 27" Samsung LCD,HDMI Connected to Sammy's
Native On,Slimeline 5LNB, AT&T DSL 6MBPS All HR2X networked enabled Network Enabled, VOD

#8 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

You would think this was pretty basic, but in my Monday morning install, my wife came in and reported that halfway through a detailed phone call with USAA about our credit cards the phone had cut off.  I couldn't imagine what could have caused it and swore to her that it must just be a glitch in the (ATT) phone service (which is not all that unusual at our home), and she went away, not  happy, but mad at ATT and not DTV or me.    After the installation was completed I went to the place where the phone service comes into our house so that I could assure ATT that the problem was NOT in our house and not to threaten me with an $85 service call because it was THEIR line that was dead before it got into my home and lo and behold, I had a dial tone there.   I went back to the den where the installation had taken place and unplugged the phone line from the HR44 and the phone line was miraculously repaired.   I told my wife that it was obviously a short term problem with ATT but that it was now fixed.   I found that the phone line had been plugged into the Ethernet port, which obviously caused the line to malfunction, so be alert to this.   Although it was the tech who did it, I should not have been so glib about it not being possible that the DTV installation could have anything to do with the problem, but frankly, I didn't even remember the phone line being attached since it is never used except for caller ID.

#9 OFFLINE   maerativo

maerativo

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationN. California

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Last month I dumped AT&T after 22 years and "upgraded" to Ooma. Caller ID works just fine with the new "landline" :righton:

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1996

HR44-500
HR24-500
Roku 3

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Last month I dumped AT&T after 22 years and "upgraded" to Ooma. Caller ID works just fine with the new "landline" :righton:

Be sure to call 911 before you need it and verify the call is going to the right public safety center.  They won't mind a call if you tell them you need to test your phone.  Ask them if they see your location accurately.  Just don't call and hang up.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,682 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Be sure to call 911 before you need it and verify the call is going to the right public safety center.  They won't mind a call if you tell them you need to test your phone.  Ask them if they see your location accurately.  Just don't call and hang up.

doesn't these VoIP phones used E911? where you set up the location of the device to be shown to the 911 operator

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas (Tyler DMA)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I would not call 9-1-1 for a test call without first calling their regular 10-digit number to clear it with them first.

Slimline-55 (SWM)  >  HR 44-500 (AM-21)   +   HR 24-100  

#13 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

doesn't these VoIP phones used E911? where you set up the location of the device to be shown to the 911 operator

Yes, they all have 9-1-1 in some form or the other. Set up properly it will route to the correct 9-1-1 call center. If it is not set up correctly it will route to a national call center which will transfer you to the correct 9-1-1 call center.

#14 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

I also use Ooma and have no issues with caller ID on the 44 or no issues with the phone working.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...