Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switch to spouses name?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I know this has probably been asked before, but I have a few questions. I'm thinking about cancelling my service and either switching D* to my fiances name or getting Cable.

I know this has caused some controversy and is kind of a gray area. I don't think it's a big deal, if I legitimately cancel my service and my fiance legitimately gets a new install under her name.

Some people call this "fraud" and it's "illegal", I find it no different than standing in line at a store with coupons that say "One coupon per customer", so I take one and stand behind her. We're technically 2 different customers. Is there any rule or regulation with D* that prevents a spouse from getting service in the same household?

Also, if I do this, how likely is the tech to reuse the old Slimline dish? It would be incredibly stupid to install a whole new setup when we already have one. (This is an apartment building and it only has our 1 dish).

I'm just asking for opinions, I may just switch to cable for awhile or stay with D* and see if I can get some discounts.

Thanks

Edited by F1aReD, 12 June 2013 - 08:46 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Not only will the tech use the old dish and wiring if he can get a good enough signal, he will use the old remotes if you leave them laying around.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

A 'spouse' and 'fiance' are two whole different things.  When you are married, the two are looked upon as being one entity while with a fiance, they two are not. 

DirecTV could restrict someone from getting service if it is determined that two of you are residing in the same house and the point of establishing this new service is to obtain  promotional 'new' customer discounts or in order to continue to receive services while having an outstanding debt.

If your goal here is to save a few bucks - why not call DirecTV and speak with them and see what they can do for you..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

some ppl think it is legal to have more then one wife :D ... so the your situation is just a piece of cake

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

"Illegal"?  Probably not.  A lot of it is just the lengths people will go to get around the rules that companies try to put in place.  If you can live with it, you'll probably find a way to get away with it.  I do suggest you call in and try to work with what you have.  Probably looking to get a Genie but they didnt offer it to you for free, or looking for an upgrade that you feel entitled to for free?

#6 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm going to call. I just looked at the D* website, and we would only be saving $17/month. Right now I have HD-DVR and 2 TVs, with taxes and fees it's about $77/ month and I'm not getting any promotions or discounts. First month total for new customer is $58.99/month, but of course you'd have new equipment and a better package/programming.

All the new fees are really getting out of hand.

#7 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

"Illegal"?  Probably not.  A lot of it is just the lengths people will go to get around the rules that companies try to put in place.  If you can live with it, you'll probably find a way to get away with it.  I do suggest you call in and try to work with what you have.  Probably looking to get a Genie but they didnt offer it to you for free, or looking for an upgrade that you feel entitled to for free?

Nope, not at all. I'm just looking for a way to lower my bill.

#8 OFFLINE   gopherscot

gopherscot

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Good for you ... go for whatever works.  I just called retention after 4 years with Direct and they gave me a free HR44 ... only fee was 49.00 for the install.  Did it all legit ...

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

Dont see how could this be fraud, they are not married yet, and even if they were, they can be separated and each having their own service if they wanted to

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

It used to be that DTV used the address and the name.  It probably still does.

When my son moved out and I wanted to get my own service I couldn't get it until he reestablished service in the new location.  However, I believe if I buy a house that had DTV I wouldn't have any problem picking it up under a different name.  So, there is a good chance you could "move" and your fiancé could pick it up under her name.

#11 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Ok thanks for the replys. We're not married, so I think that's the main thing. It would be different if we were married with shared bank accounts and phone numbers. We don't share anything.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

We don't share anything.

Hmmmmm. I hope that's not predictive! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

:rotfl:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#14 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,449 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

That will be over with as soon as they get married.  

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

I wouldn't consider that to be fraud as you are not yet married...

Edited by Volatility, 14 June 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

You can do that.......   as a retailer/dealer/installer   we do that alot.     If one person in the household has directv or recently had directv and want to get new service as long as your other account holder is out of the commitment period we can process the order in the spouse's name.........   You just need to finagle the address with an apartment number      ie if your address is 1234 Wood Ave.....   You would mark it 1234 Wood Ave apt A.     Then everything gets processed under the other's SS# and providing that person qualifies after credit score check you are good to go.

SIG

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

You can do that.......   as a retailer/dealer/installer   we do that alot.     If one person in the household has directv or recently had directv and want to get new service as long as your other account holder is out of the commitment period we can process the order in the spouse's name.........   You just need to finagle the address with an apartment number      ie if your address is 1234 Wood Ave.....   You would mark it 1234 Wood Ave apt A.     Then everything gets processed under the other's SS# and providing that person qualifies after credit score check you are good to go.

SIG

If you have to finagle the address, how is it okay?  Sounds like you'll do whatever you need to in order to make a sale.

As far as thread is concerned, I don't see a problem with it being a fiancè.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

Wow. Lessons in how to cheat. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Okay, it's asked and answered and we're starting to go down a road that...well lets just say we don't need to go there.

Since it's answered I'm closing this one.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall