Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN announced ESPN 3D has been cut

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

I liked the Golf in 3D. Really gave a good perspective rather than everything looking flat. Some football was good but camera shots from some stadiums are so high that there wasn't much difference between that and 2d. Bball... well I don;'t bother to watch it anyhow, but it looked like it was more beneficial for 3D from the ads they ran.  

You don't sell 3D sets without content and without sets they don't make an effort to program more 3D. Self defeating it seems.

Oh well, 3D movies and nature shows are still good.

Very much agree, the Masters in 3D was fantastic!
  • joe58 likes this
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm still not impress by the current 3D technology.

Maybe when they mount a camera in a baseball catcher's helmet. I might be impress.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#23 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

My family and friends really enjoy 3d movies, especially ones like Hugo. Last year we watched 2 or 3 football games in 3d and also enjoyed the whole new perspective. It was like being on the sidelines and watching. We'll miss the football. I think those who dis it and call it a fad really haven't given it much of a chance. I don't think the technology is dying, I think it'll get better. Until it does it won't be profitable.
  • joe58 likes this

#24 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

We need a premium channel like HBO to step up and offer 3D movies (maybe 4 new not repeated movies a month). For those of us that have invested in a 3D TV would you pay $10mo for this service or something like it? My thinking is that #1 it's almost impossible to rent a 3D blu-ray, #2 going to just one 3D movie a month with a spouse (no kids) and no food purchases will set you back at least $20.  In 2011 48 3d movies were released, in 2012 57 3D movies were released, in 2013 37 3D movies are set for release, so they won't run out of new movies to show.  I don't even have kids but I would become a HBO subscriber if they offered this option.  I think HBO would get a lot of new subscribers, especially considering how many new 3D TV's will be sold each year.

• joe58 likes this

#25 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

My thinking is that #1 it's almost impossible to rent a 3D blu-ray,..

In case you or anyone else is interested, there's options like...

http://stores.3d-blu.../StoreFront.bok

http://www.3dbymail....dex/default.php

and for streaming, http://www.vudu.com/movies/#search/3d

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 OFFLINE   HiDefRev

HiDefRev

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWaycross, GA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Indeed.  I'm going to miss ESPN 3D.  They actually showed a few good events in the format..  I especially enjoyed the BCS National Championship Game in 3D. 

THEATER ROOM
Samsung PN69F55000 60" 3D Plasma HDTV, Samsung BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray Player, DirecTv HR44 Genie System, Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2  3D AV Receiver, BIC DV84 Front Tower Speakers, BIC DV62si Side and Surround Speakers, BIC DV62CLR-S Center Channel Speaker, BIC RtR EV1200 Subwoofers x2, Monoprice Cables

#27 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

We need a premium channel like HBO to step up and offer 3D movies (maybe 4 new not repeated movies a month). For those of us that have invested in a 3D TV would you pay $10mo for this service or something like it? My thinking is that #1 it's almost impossible to rent a 3D blu-ray, #2 going to just one 3D movie a month with a spouse (no kids) and no food purchases will set you back at least $20.  In 2011 48 3d movies were released, in 2012 57 3D movies were released, in 2013 37 3D movies are set for release, so they won't run out of new movies to show.  I don't even have kids but I would become a HBO subscriber if they offered this option.  I think HBO would get a lot of new subscribers, especially considering how many new 3D TV's will be sold each year.

HBO already does have 3D service. So does Starz. They are on demand. I have them both through Verizon FIOS. That's what 3D is good for. Yeah when I first got my 3D TV I watched ESPN 3D for some basketball games but once you've seen it, well you've seen it. Movies are the thing that always was of interest to me when I bought mine. And I didn't pay $1500 for it or anything. I got a good deal a year ago from Best Buy. Got the TV, 3D BR player, glasses, etc for around $1000 total. Since then, anytime we've bought a Blu ray movie that was out in 3D we buy the one with the 3D one included. That along with Starz and HBO's 3D on demand channels is fine.

#28 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

I loved watching golf and football in 3D as well as some of the boxing they had on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using DBSTalk mobile app

Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#29 OFFLINE   rickclem

rickclem

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

When I had Xfinity/Comcast they carried HBO 3D and Starz 3D on On Demand. When I switched over to DTV I was disappointed to see that they didn't carry that programming. On me for not checking first.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...