Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Atten DIRT Is AMC (131) no longer in Welcome Pack?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

I subscribe to the Welcome pack.

Today I see that AMC is now green in my guide and I no longer can view it.

AMC was part of the Welcome Pack and I thought it would continue to be.

I do not think AXS is a reasonable replacement for AMC, as the channels are not anything alike.

We also recently lost HDnet movies from our package.

Why is AMC no longer in my package?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   puglady

puglady

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

I just noticed AMC gone from my Welcome Pack too. I have been a Welcome subscriber for about 5 years and have always had AMC until today.  I just got done chatting with DISH and the rep told me she does not know how I had AMC for so long because it has not always been apart of that package according to her. I think she is just another misinformed rep. Dish also raised the price of the Welocome Pack this year so I am very unhappy with Dish right now.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

AMC was added to the package awhile ago to compensate I believe for the loss of the Disney channels or some other group that DIsh was in dispute over carriage agreements.  It was supposed to have been removed awhile ago, as if you search older threads you will find this discussion took place a month or 2 ago(apparently many months before that).  It wasnt meant to be part of the Welcome Pack to begin with.

Edited by CCarncross, 13 June 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 127 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I subscribe to the Welcome pack.

Today I see that AMC is now green in my guide and I no longer can view it.

AMC was part of the Welcome Pack and I thought it would continue to be.

I do not think AXS is a reasonable replacement for AMC, as the channels are not anything alike.

We also recently lost HDnet movies from our package.

Why is AMC no longer in my package?

Hey everyone! Last year, we provided a free preview of AMC to all customers. This preview ended in November 2012, however, some accounts did not have the preview removed. On June 12 we removed AMC from affected accounts. AMC can now be found on the Top 120 package and above.

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

#5 OFFLINE   puglady

puglady

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hey everyone! Last year, we provided a free preview of AMC to all customers. This preview ended in November 2012, however, some accounts did not have the preview removed. On June 12 we removed AMC from affected accounts. AMC can now be found on the Top 120 package and above.

AMC was originally part of the Welcome Pack, it was in the original channel lineup. I have had the Welcome pack for 5 years and always had AMC until a couple of days ago. This was not just a free preview for this package as DISH is claiming, or else it has been a heck of a long free preview.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

AMC was removed completely from DISH last year before returning on a different channel in preview status.

All channel lineups are subject to change.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 127 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

AMC was originally part of the Welcome Pack, it was in the original channel lineup. I have had the Welcome pack for 5 years and always had AMC until a couple of days ago. This was not just a free preview for this package as DISH is claiming, or else it has been a heck of a long free preview.

It is as James said. The programming was fully removed before we were able to reach an agreement with AMC. The package a channel is on is decided at the time we reach an agreement, and the current agreement put it on the Top 120 and above. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that caused.

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

#8 OFFLINE   dylanksa

dylanksa

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

To Tommy Faust, (and James Long), no offense, but we of the Welcome-Package-for-years customers know of what we speak.  The AMC/DISH debacle is well-documented and otherwise irrelevant to this conversation.  AMC has been a part of our subscription since we started with the "Welcome Package"; for me it was one of the selling points.  I called DISH to cancel my higher level subscription 3-4 years ago, and they talked me into staying with the Welcome Package, because it had the 3 channels I watch--one of which is AMC.  When the legal battle was in full swing, I nearly cancelled my subscription, but I kept it because rumor had it that the channel would return swiftly.  My primary TV viewing is "Breaking Bad," "Mad Men," "The Killing," and (sadly) "The Walking Dead."  Today (Sunday) I sat down to watch my shows and lo!, the channel had evaporated.  Apparently AMC is gone now, but please don't presume to condescend to those of us who actually participated in the original agreement.  My consumerism, at least, is deliberate.  The programming I've been paying for didn't just slip past me or otherwise slip my mind--unless, of course, the rep I originally spoke with was totally wrong and AMC just coincidentally ended up in my package all these years by accident...  Really?

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

I think they are simply saying the new contract they signed moved it to a different tier, which is something all companies keep the right to do to customers, and all of them do move channels sometimes. At that point though, when it was moved less than a year ago, they just screwed up leaving it on for you from then till now. I don't think they where trying to say you where lying or wrong or something like that about having it legitimately before. I think they agree with that actually.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

To Tommy Faust, (and James Long), no offense, but we of the Welcome-Package-for-years customers know of what we speak.  The AMC/DISH debacle is well-documented and otherwise irrelevant to this conversation.  AMC has been a part of our subscription since we started with the "Welcome Package"; for me it was one of the selling points.  I called DISH to cancel my higher level subscription 3-4 years ago, and they talked me into staying with the Welcome Package, because it had the 3 channels I watch--one of which is AMC.  When the legal battle was in full swing, I nearly cancelled my subscription, but I kept it because rumor had it that the channel would return swiftly.  My primary TV viewing is "Breaking Bad," "Mad Men," "The Killing," and (sadly) "The Walking Dead."  Today (Sunday) I sat down to watch my shows and lo!, the channel had evaporated.  Apparently AMC is gone now, but please don't presume to condescend to those of us who actually participated in the original agreement.  My consumerism, at least, is deliberate.  The programming I've been paying for didn't just slip past me or otherwise slip my mind--unless, of course, the rep I originally spoke with was totally wrong and AMC just coincidentally ended up in my package all these years by accident...  Really?

So all the reasons that you were given may not have been 100% accurate, but, in the end, AMC is no longer in the Welcome Pack due to the new carriage agreement that was negotiated.  Look on the bright side, you received AMC for many months longer than you should have as when the new carriage agreement went into effect, it should have been removed back then, so you essentially got to keep for free for longer than you were supposed to.

Edited by CCarncross, 17 June 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

That is the drawback of giving anyone anything for free ... they expect to get it free forever.

The timeline was posted to help people understand what happened. It was not intended to insult or condemn any poster on this forum or any casual readers. It was a simple statement of the facts. The channel was there. The channel was removed (for everyone). The channel came back as a free preview. The free preview ended. Something went wrong with the preview and DISH took a while to fix the issue (accidentally extending the free preview).

I thought the question was "what happened" and the timeline is an answer to what happened. Apparently there are people who don't care what happened and just want to complain that it did. Complaints are acceptable - as long as you're complaining about what happened and not lashing out at the people who are trying to help explain.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   elBryan

elBryan

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

When AMC was removed, it was replaced with HD Movie Net. HD Movie Net went away when AMC came back. I understand that Dish Network had to renegotiate their contract with AMC, but the excuse that "something went wrong" when we were allowed to keep our "free" preview for as long as we have is B.S.; AMC was one of the TWO channels that Dish lured me back with when I went to cancel their service two years ago, and it was never made clear that we weren't paying for it. As a previous commenter mentioned, the price of this package has recently increased as well.  I recognize that there aren't any premium channel services that don't occasionally increase their prices or switch their channels around, but usually there's some kind of warning, and hopefully they don't do it right before the season finale of a hugely popular program. 

When AMC went away a lot of people urged me to call DISH Network to demand a $35 credit, but since I wasn't even paying that much for my monthly service, I figured I'd wait out the contract negotiation. Now that I learned DISH Network wasn't negotiating for me and I should be grateful they even shared the "free preview" with me, I guess I'll have to call them up and demand that credit now. I'm seriously going to be looking for another channel provider that doesn't screw me over in the middle of Mad Men and right before Breaking Bad every year.

#13 OFFLINE   dylanksa

dylanksa

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

elBryan,

I completely agree, and thanks for the sympathetic voice in the void. 

To reiterate for the Dish Network apologists:

I haven't been paying for "free" services.  Rather, I've been paying for the service I asked for and was promised.  (Or, to be obnoxiously clear to the point of redundancy, I wasn't under the illusion I was paying for a service I was actually receiving for free; I ASKED and was REASSURED by a representative AT THE POINT OF CHANGING MY SERVICE, that AMC was is my channel lineup.  You see, I don't live in a marketing bubble where the corporation is necessarily a benevolent bestower of gifts upon those of us lucky enough to catch the trickle as it dribbles down...  I sense when I'm being trickled on deliberately and with obvious disregard.  The price goes up, the service degrades, no warning or explanation.  True, it is what it is.  But it's not lightning striking, or a hurricane knocking the service out, so ah shucks for me I guess.  It's a deliberate act that blows just the same.

Edited by dylanksa, 22 June 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

You also asked about the welcom pack line up before the negotiations last year.

There not being apologists there just pointing out common sense. AMC was removed from the entirety of Dish Network and as such from the welcome pack too, and was replaced with HDnet temporarily. When it came back to Dish, Rainbow networks (AMC's owner) came back on the condition that AMC would be on the Top120 and above so that they could get the max amount of pay out. 

The welcome pack is obviously not above the 120. On AMC's return Dish handed out free previews to all subs so that they could catch up on TWD and also be slightly compensated for the extended leave, thats why you continued to see it despite it not being in your package.

As said earlier just be happy you got it for free for as long as you have since the removal.

Dish (or any company for that matter) does NOT have to notify you of channel removals from packages, much less when they remove a channel from the free preview line up.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

... but the excuse that "something went wrong" when we were allowed to keep our "free" preview for as long as we have is B.S.

You may not like the truth ... but not liking the truth does not change the truth.

Now that I learned DISH Network wasn't negotiating for me ...

DISH was negotiating for you. You lost. Sorry. Perhaps if AMC would have agreed to a lower rate or different placement you could still have the channel. Not all negotiations are won.

I ASKED and was REASSURED by a representative AT THE POINT OF CHANGING MY SERVICE, that AMC was is my channel lineup.

When was that? Lets look at your other post:

I called DISH to cancel my higher level subscription 3-4 years ago, and they talked me into staying with the Welcome Package, because it had the 3 channels I watch--one of which is AMC.

At the time you signed up for the Welcome Pack AMC was included. All packages are subject to change.

The programming I've been paying for didn't just slip past me or otherwise slip my mind--unless, of course, the rep I originally spoke with was totally wrong and AMC just coincidentally ended up in my package all these years by accident...  Really?

You were paying for AMC until all customers lost the channel in the dispute. You were not paying for AMC when it was returned (in free preview mode). You were not paying for AMC during the mistake period between the end of the free preview and when the channel was turned off for Welcome Pack subscribers.

You subscribe to a package. It contains channels. The channels each package contains are not guaranteed.

#16 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

You were paying for AMC until all customers lost the channel in the dispute. You were not paying for AMC when it was returned (in free preview mode). You were not paying for AMC during the mistake period between the end of the free preview and when the channel was turned off for Welcome Pack subscribers.

You subscribe to a package. It contains channels. The channels each package contains are not guaranteed.

Slight correction for the first paragraph.  Nobody pays for AMC specifically since it is not a Premium channel.  It may or may not be in whatever package the customer pays for.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#17 OFFLINE   DTHguy

DTHguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

You also asked about the welcom pack line up before the negotiations last year.

There not being apologists there just pointing out common sense. AMC was removed from the entirety of Dish Network and as such from the welcome pack too, and was replaced with HDnet temporarily. When it came back to Dish, Rainbow networks (AMC's owner) came back on the condition that AMC would be on the Top120 and above so that they could get the max amount of pay out. 

May be the condition is on Top120 and over, not TOP200 neither TOP250, I thing that Rainbow not have problem that the channel are available also in the lower package.

But the point is that Dish raiser $5.00 and drop channel like AXS.

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

AMC most likely would not drop their price for being in the Welcome package. Had Dish kept it there, those complaining would be screaming that their package went up so much. AMC has made it clear they feel they are in the same league as TNT or USA etc..., and so do not want to be in a bargain basement package and get less. They probably feel they can get people to go to the higher packge to watch the AMC programs. It's the same thinking HBO has, they want to be a premium service and will not allow their channels to be in packages, or even available if you don't subscribe to a Cable/Satellite carrier. As others have pointed out packages change that's just the facts. If you feel AMC is a must channel, buy the programs online, or pay more for a higher package. I suppose you could go to another provider who includes it in that priced package. (There isn't one)

Edited by tampa8, 21 October 2013 - 10:40 AM.

spam firewall