Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RVU Wiring question

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rtcage

rtcage

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

I am contemplating a Samsung smart tv with RVU capabilities and have a wiring question.  Am I correct that the wiring requires coax and ethernet into a device from which a coax is then connected to the TV?

Assuming that's the case, what is the maximum length of the coax run from the device to the TV?  I ask because I have a central wiring panel with ethernet and coax and am wondering if I can place the RVU device there as opposed to at the location of the TV.   

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

You can use either coax or ethernet. if you have access to ethernet then run that cable from the router to the TV.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

The deca will connect with a Ethernet cable to the TV, not coax cable. The deca device will convert the coax (from the deca cloud that the genie is connected to) to an Ethernet cable. So you can do it in your closet just fine, assuming you have power there to plug in the deca.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

You can use either coax or ethernet. if you have access to ethernet then run that cable from the router to the TV.

Its better he doesn't run the Ethernet from a router, but rather uses a deca and runs it off the deca cloud directly. That will keep the DIRECTV signals off his home network and is how its expected to be installed generally. Im not even sure if they support plugging in a RVU TV directly to a router and not the deca cloud.

#5 OFFLINE   rtcage

rtcage

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

thanks everyone!  So it's coax==>deca==>ethernet==>TV?  This actually makes it even easier for me.  I was thinking I had to go ethernet + coax to the deca and the coax from the deca to the TV.  I was concerned about one particular location that doesnt have ethernet but already has coax.  Problem solved assuming I am understanding it correctly.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Its better he doesn't run the Ethernet from a router, but rather uses a deca and runs it off the deca cloud directly. That will keep the DIRECTV signals off his home network and is how its expected to be installed generally. Im not even sure if they support plugging in a RVU TV directly to a router and not the deca cloud.

Ethernet is fully supported by DirecTV as the RVU TV is a "customer" owned device.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   rtcage

rtcage

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Actually, now I have another question.  If the RVU occupies the ethernet port on the TV, do the smart tv functions work (netflix etc) work though the genie's internet connection, or do I need to switch to wifi on the TV or are those features disabled with an RVU setup?

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Actually, now I have another question. If the RVU occupies the ethernet port on the TV, do the smart tv functions work (netflix etc) work though the genie's internet connection, or do I need to switch to wifi on the TV or are those features disabled with an RVU setup?

As long as the Genie's ethernet port is connected to your network, or a DECA-BB is installed then your SmartTV functions will still work.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Ethernet is fully supported by DirecTV as the RVU TV is a "customer" owned device.

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

I see mixed responses to that question. When I activated my Samsung client I was told I must have a truck roll for a tech to install a DECA-BB, I couldn't use my ethernet connection. But now I've seen others here post that they call and can get it activated without a truck roll/DECA-BB. Another case where DIRECTV isn't consistent in their policies.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

I see mixed responses to that question. When I activated my Samsung client I was told I must have a truck roll for a tech to install a DECA-BB, I couldn't use my ethernet connection. But now I've seen others here post that they call and can get it activated without a truck roll/DECA-BB. Another case where DIRECTV isn't consistent in their policies.

To be fair, its probably not DTV's Policies, but rather how a CSR chooses to interpret said policies. You should be able to activate whatever you want, but would need a truck roll for install.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Its better he doesn't run the Ethernet from a router, but rather uses a deca and runs it off the deca cloud directly.

Soooo, you're advocating that if the OP wants to use media streaming (DLNA, YouTube, IPTV, Internet radio, etc) and other Smart TV features (gaming, browsing, news and weather), that data should necessarily travel via DECA?

This is arguably where the DECA cloud argument gets sideways.

I suspect the smart money is on using a Genie Mini and a independent LAN connection.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

I have the RVU setup in my home , self install. My Samsung is directly hooked up to my local network via Ethernet from my switch. Works perfectly. I have an HR44. Also all my smart functions work as they should, YouTube ect...

Edited by Stevies3, 13 June 2013 - 10:02 AM.

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24

2 x C41

3 x RVU
SWM3-LNB

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,966 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Soooo, you're advocating that if the OP wants to use media streaming (DLNA, YouTube, IPTV, Internet radio, etc) and other Smart TV features (gaming, browsing, news and weather), that data should necessarily travel via DECA?

This is arguably where the DECA cloud argument gets sideways.

I suspect the smart money is on using a Genie Mini and a independent LAN connection.

I can see Directv's argument, they don't want to support people's home networks. And they shouldn't. But I don't see why people in these forums keep advocating DECA to people who ask. DECA is an abomination, created to solve a specific problem of people have coax available in locations but not cat5. If it was common for cat5 to be run to the same locations coax was, DECA would have never been invented.

Ethernet is far more reliable than anything using coax - there's a reason why Ethernet abandoned running over coax well over two decades ago, switching to twisted pair. The argument that it "gets the traffic off your home network" is silly, given the fact that an ethernet switch only forwards traffic to the port it is destined for. So you can be transferring big files or playing games over the same network you have multiple RVU sessions and you'll be just fine because the traffic is independent of each other. If you're worried about it, gigabit ethernet switches cost almost nothing these days, and make DECA's bandwidth look like dialup by comparison.

Running over coax just makes more sense for Directv and their installers because most problems that would cause issues with DECA would already be causing other issues Directv would need to fix anyway. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't do don't things inconvenient for me to make things convenient for those I'm paying to provide a service.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   jchanson

jchanson

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

I just got my HR44 Genie and C41 hooked up and it works great.  I am direct connected to Ethernet from the HR44.  I am trying to get a Samsung RVU connected, but the RVU selection is greyed out as an option on the TV.  Direct connected to the gigE switch in the house and the Internet is available (can do Netflix, etc... from the Samsung menus).

Any ideas?  TIA!

#17 OFFLINE   jchanson

jchanson

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

I just got my HR44 Genie and C41 hooked up and it works great.  I am direct connected to Ethernet from the HR44.  I am trying to get a Samsung RVU connected, but the RVU selection is greyed out as an option on the TV.  Direct connected to the gigE switch in the house and the Internet is available (can do Netflix, etc... from the Samsung menus).

Any ideas?  TIA!

Never mind, works great :)  Operator error.

#18 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I can see Directv's argument, they don't want to support people's home networks. And they shouldn't. But I don't see why people in these forums keep advocating DECA to people who ask. DECA is an abomination, created to solve a specific problem of people have coax available in locations but not cat5. If it was common for cat5 to be run to the same locations coax was, DECA would have never been invented.

Ethernet is far more reliable than anything using coax - there's a reason why Ethernet abandoned running over coax well over two decades ago, switching to twisted pair. The argument that it "gets the traffic off your home network" is silly, given the fact that an ethernet switch only forwards traffic to the port it is destined for. So you can be transferring big files or playing games over the same network you have multiple RVU sessions and you'll be just fine because the traffic is independent of each other. If you're worried about it, gigabit ethernet switches cost almost nothing these days, and make DECA's bandwidth look like dialup by comparison.

Running over coax just makes more sense for Directv and their installers because most problems that would cause issues with DECA would already be causing other issues Directv would need to fix anyway. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't do don't things inconvenient for me to make things convenient for those I'm paying to provide a service.

Ethernet moved from coax to twisted pair primarily because of cost...most office buildings had plenty of available twisted pair, but no coax. Plus, it was easier (i.e. cheaper) to wire a star topology than a bus. It had almost nothing to do with reliability. Thick coax Ethernet was as reliable as any other topology before or since. Thin-net was susceptible to the bus being broken if someone disconnected a t-connector, but was otherwise reliable.

Otherwise, I agree with your sentiment. Personally, I treat our network as a one single network with some cat6 and some coax segments. At the moment, all the DirecTV receivers are attached to the coax, but so is a Roku and a BluRay player (there was a spare coax in family room, but no cat6). I also ran whole home over Ethernet for a couple of years, and up until I moved things around after we got a Genie there was still one DVR on Ethernet.

Just one point about throughput...what you say is correct, IF the network is designed correctly. But I have seen lots of people string switches together in such a way that lots of traffic passes over a single wire. For example, if someone is streaming a film from Netflix, another person is downloading some software, and another is backing up their computer, and all of them are attached to the same switch as a C41, and the Genie and the backup drive are both attached to the router directly, then you'll definitely have some bandwidth issues when watching TV via the client if you have a 100Mbit connection between the router and the switch.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#19 OFFLINE   AndrewBucklin

AndrewBucklin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Quick question; hoping someone who has a similar setup can help.

We have the HR44 and a new Samsung TV with the RVU client built in. Both are connected via gigabit CAT6 to a 48-port switch. They both get an IP from the DHCP server, and the Samsung TV can "see" the genie just fine. I can put the Genie's Whole-Home into the "add client" mode and I can type the 4-digit PIN on the Samsung TV and it will continue and then gives this error:

MoCA Test

Diagnostics Code: 54-480

Home Network Interference Problem

Set Top Box (server) has experienced an error and is unable to test the Network. Please try restarting the server. If this issue persists, please call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed above.

I've also tried connecting the HR44 via Wireless instead of CAT6 and the results are the same. When I try to connect the Samsung TV and select RVU, it says the TV must be hardwired for RVU.

I know this is "unsupported" but I have a few reasons for doing this and from what I've read above, it seems to work for some people...

Edited by AndrewBucklin, 31 May 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

Quick question; hoping someone who has a similar setup can help.

We have the HR44 and a new Samsung TV with the RVU client built in. Both are connected via gigabit CAT6 to a 48-port switch. They both get an IP from the DHCP server, and the Samsung TV can "see" the genie just fine. I can put the Genie's Whole-Home into the "add client" mode and I can type the 4-digit PIN on the Samsung TV and it will continue and then gives this error:

MoCA Test

Diagnostics Code: 54-480

Home Network Interference Problem

Set Top Box (server) has experienced an error and is unable to test the Network. Please try restarting the server. If this issue persists, please call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed above.

I've also tried connecting the HR44 via Wireless instead of CAT6 and the results are the same. When I try to connect the Samsung TV and select RVU, it says the TV must be hardwired for RVU.

I know this is "unsupported" but I have a few reasons for doing this and from what I've read above, it seems to work for some people...

DirecTV has recently added a test to RVU clients (coming from the server) that tests for DECA performance and it must meet certain threshold in order to pass and proceed with client activation.  not sire how this would affect networking via ethernet 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...