Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do they do complex sports bar installs?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,509 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Last night we went to the new BW3 down the road that opened about 6 months ago for the first time, it was at that time a prototype. They have about 80 TVs including the jumbotron, and have DirecTV. Some of their TVs were doing their trivia game, but most were on programming. Of course some were duplicates, but how do they do these kinds of setups? They went into the guide on one, and I didn't see another set mirroring it. It's something I've been curious about, but haven't gotten the nerve to ask if I can see their AV rack.

This site has some pictures of the restaurant layout.

http://nrn.com/photo...ld_images-65551

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ill be more interested in knowing how much their DirecTV bill is....lol

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,033 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Unless restaurants work under different rules 80 TVs wont affect the bill.  I have DirecTV at work for the customer waiting area and the lunchroom.  There is no per receiver charge.  I know the restaurant will pay more for the programming than a retail business but receivers dont count

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,509 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

I think it's based on seating capacity, I know it is at least for ST.

#5 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,033 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

I think it's based on seating capacity, I know it is at least for ST.

You are correct, depending on the package it is either EVO or FCO (Estimated viewing occupancy or Fire Code occupancy) My point is that whether you have 5 TVs or 80TVs the bill is the same for your occupancy. 

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

I maintain a small system in a small club.  Two 46" TVs each have their individual HD receivers, and the 70" TV has its own HD receiver.  Due to the simplicity, the system runs from one non-SWM dish. The club is private and as I recall, the monthly bill is based on the # of dues paying members.  The installation fee was IIRC, free for the dish and first HD box, and $99 for each of the 2 additional receivers. The facility had never had any cable or satellite service before.

The floor plan has the TVs well seperated, so they all work from the same IR remote, and all the TVs are the same brand too.  Kept it simple for the staff and they appreciate it.

Only trouble they have ever had was during a rainy period and they called me for frequent pixellation.  They had new shingles installed and the roofers had noodged the dish just enough to make it fussy about drizzle.  Re-aimed and every one was happy.

I've seen a rack of at least 40 D* receivers at a restaurant called Indigo Joes.  The restaurant is long gone, and I wondered if all the big screen TVs bankrupted them, LOL.  Amazing site to see all those receivers!!

I also maintain a Senior TV system with around 40 receivers, but they each run a SD modulator, and that would not be appropriate for a bar filled with big screens.

#7 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Its unlikely they have 80 receivers to support 80 TVs. They probably have a 16 or 32 way matrix switch backed by HDMI splitters and distribute TVs connected to the same output around the place to give a good mix, such that you may not always notice which ones are the same.

My bar has 23 TVs and each has its own receiver, but it kind of grew that way because matrix switches and anything capable of running HDMI longer than about 50' was ridiculously expensive when I started adding HD displays. BW3 probably has a standard setup they developed themselves they install for all franchisees, and get volume pricing on the TVs and other gear it includes. Perhaps on their Directv service and/or PPV events as well.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

I was in the back room of one. They had 10 H25's and 2 Comcast receivers in case the lost signal due to weather conditions. I was told by a reliable source at the restaurant that the rack, which contained the 10 DTV receivers, the 2 cable boxes, the switching matrix and the computer that makes it all work, is north of 100K. 2 years ago I know someone who looked into a Damon's restaurant and their offering said that you can expect to pay 200K for the video and entertainment system. After frequenting both locations BWW has the best setup IMHO.

#9 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Here's a photo from a BWW that will be opening soon.20130613_095545 - Copy.jpg 12 DVT receivers and 2 cable boxes.

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

I see a "KnoxVideo" in there, looks like it is this thing:

http://www.knoxvideo...t/112.php?pid=4

#11 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, that's how they get the video out to the 80 plus TV's and projectors at this site. it's wild when you look behind the rack and only see a handful of CAT5 cables leading out of it.

#12 OFFLINE   Demodave

Demodave

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

I always thought that the easiest solution was a system that ran HD modulators.  Then all you need to run is RG-6 coax to each of the TV's; and all the employees need to do is change the channel to switch to a different DirecTV receiver.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

I always thought that the easiest solution was a system that ran HD modulators. Then all you need to run is RG-6 coax to each of the TV's; and all the employees need to do is change the channel to switch to a different DirecTV receiver.

Might the "easier" one but not necessarily the most cost effective
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

"business/office (private)" commercial accounts and "restaraunt/bar (public)" commercial accounts are two different animals.  in private accounts any receiver after first receiver is 6 bucks.  in public accounts anything past second receiver is 6 bucks.    only public accounts are based on EVO for programming costs.  FCO is only used for select sports packages such as ST.

The company may have signed an exclustivity deal with directv themselves instead of a commercial dealer to temper the programming costs but that is doubtful.  there are probably around 20 receivers on this account going thru matrix switchers.

the commercial world of directv is WAY different than the residential world.

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

I have over 20 receivers on my public (restaurant/bar) account and don't pay a monthly fee for any of them.

spam firewall