Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any advice as part of moving?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi: I have 2 Hr20's, and 2 Dish's on my roof since 2007, one for the international. Will be moving 20 mins away to our new house by early July. Any suggestions on any equipment upgrades etc I should consider? I have an external eSATA on one of them. I believe if I sign up for 12 months, I get free movers install?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,999 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yes as long as you have not moved in the last 12 months. You can try asking for the Genie but that of course carries a 24 month commitment
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hi, so some additional info and questions:

a)I have the dish installed from 2009, and an international dish installed from 2007 that I would like moved. I dont have international programming anymore, but use it to get International sports package (last world cup cricket for example). If I want to keep the Hr20s connected, will they move the existing dish and whatever is needed to work with the HR20s?

b)If I want to only keep one HR20 active, but still keep the other one, so I can watch whatever programs are recorded on it, how should I do it? I read on other posts here that if I disconnect the DVR before calling to deactivate, it should be possible to keep it because they are not recovering them. However, if I do it as part of scheduling the move, does the installer at the new house take it back with him?

Ideally I'd like to ask for the Genie, and deactivate both the HR20s, but keep them to watch recorded content off it, because I have been using one of them with an external HD more like an archive of programs. Any suggestions would be helpful?

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,999 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

1. as long as you have some sort of international package on your account, DirecTV will install both dishes.

2. let the tech install it as usual and call afterwards to deactivated.  you should be able to keep it.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

Wrt activating both, I don't want to have the tech have to drill holes in another room for no reason.

If I get a genie as the primary, can the hr20s use the genie without needing cables run to the dish for the hr20s.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

They typically don't move dishes from one location to your new house.

Install the 20 in the same room as the genie. That way they can run cable to that location and install a splitter that feeds both the genie and the 20.

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,374 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Keep one HR20 off the grid- ie, don't have it attached to the coax. As trh suggests, have the other installed next to the Genie. Deactivate after the install. Most HR20s are not wanted back, even after you deactivate. Once you deactivate, do not attach to the coax. 

Enjoy!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

We had an HR44 installed today. Replaced an HR20-100. We were hoping the installer wouldn't take it (still had some shows my son hadn't watched yet), but it was on his work order, so he took it.

#9 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. Also I wanted to know how flexible are the installers with doing pole mount of the dish. This time around I don't want it installed on the roof. When I called movers connection, the guy said that was an option if they can get a signal.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. Also I wanted to know how flexible are the installers with doing pole mount of the dish. This time around I don't want it installed on the roof. When I called movers connection, the guy said that was an option if they can get a signal.

They usually can do it, but be advised that you might be charged for the pole mount.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...