Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish & Direct tv--Any signal or Picture difference?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

yes, it's ... but sorry the question has been answered ad nauseum

Well, don't reply then if it bothers you so much. I for one don't know if there is a difference and I might switch to Dish so I need to ask.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Don't base your choice after PQ, as much as some here want you to believe otherwise they are both equal over all.

Look at the prices , the equipment needs, and channel line ups. PQ is a thing of the past in most cases.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#23 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Don't base your choice after PQ, as much as some here want you to believe otherwise they are both equal over all.

Look at the prices , the equipment needs, and channel line ups. PQ is a thing of the past in most cases.

Say it like it is. When it comes to SD picture quality DISH is more equal than DirecTV. With HD picture quality DirecTV is more equal than DISH.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#24 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the techhie viewpoint, I look with my now great eyes after cataract surgery, at my 73" DLP 3D set, and my 24" PS3 3D display and they both tell my eyes that maybe it isn't 'dvd quality' but it is close enough to the viewer that the differences are slight.  That said, it is not the same on all channels.

I just had cataract surgery on one eye (the other will be done monday) and the difference in PQ between the two eyes is now amazing. I had no idea how bad things were until after getting my eye repaired! Best video upgrade ever!

I have a 104" projection system in my home theater and Dish HD looks really good on it. Back when I first built the theater and my eyes were much better I switched from cable to dish and found the HD picture quality to be either comparible or Dish was a bit better. As other are saying, reguardless of specs, Dish HD looks damn good.

#25 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

It is amazing how a simple, fast surgery can make something like vision so much better, isn't it?  I got the last eye done last week and the 1st one done 2 weeks before that.  I got both on a Wednesday and was back on the golf course on Friday.

My surgeon took about 7 minutes to do each eye which really surprised me.  I had been told it was quick, but 7 minutes?  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

that's good news ... but guys :backtotop:

Edited by P Smith, 13 June 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

There is definitely a difference in HD PQ. Many claim to not be able to tell the difference, and I believe them. And some of them claim 20-20 vision, and I believe them.

The thing is, observations of PQ are not a function solely of visual acuity, nor more than perception of HQ sound is solely a function of ability to get high scores on auditory tests. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

When I switched to Dish from DirecTV in April of 2012, I could perceive a difference in picture quality, but it was subtle.  I am extremely fussy about my viewing quality, and can easily detect things that most people never notice (artifacting, color squashing, lack of detail.)  I would call Dish's HD quality acceptable, but DirecTV's had a certain "wow!" factor on the sharpest programs (like Frozen Planet.)

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Thank you. I think we've found an honest man.......

#30 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

I wouldn't say that others are dishonest.  My spouse can't see the difference at all.  Same equipment, some programming.

#31 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

I wouldn't say that others are dishonest.  My spouse can't see the difference at all.  Same equipment, some programming.

Some people can't see the difference between 720p, 1080i, and 1080p yet there is a difference.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#32 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

I've had DirecTV for many years, and recently added Dish to my system.

Gotta say, I LOVE having BOTH services.

Yes, it's pricey and I'm paying for quite a bit of duplicate programming, but as an independent installer that has clients on both services, becoming a little more 'fluent' on the Dish side is good business.

There is some programming differences, RFD-HD for starters, and the KTLA, WWOR,WPIX, KWGN pack that I really like.  There are some feature differences, the higher frame rate during the FF and REW scan on Dish is great, I appreciate the slightly better HD on Direct, but can't complain about Dish.  It would be nice if the Dish box would stay on indefinitely, I mirror 2 Direct boxes and both tuners on my 722, and it's annoying the Dish box shuts off every night.

For those that can afford it, I'd recommend both, the 'kewl' factor is considerable, fun seeing both dishes on the roof next to each other!  The 722 adds some HDDVR capacity, and since I don't have a Genie yet (maybe next year) the bump is welcome.

I've already had a major 'save' with a customer on Dish, instead of a house call, I was able to walk her through her problem by grabbing my Dish remote and punching up the menu while talking to her over the phone.

#33 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the techhie viewpoint, I look with my now great eyes after cataract surgery, at my 73" DLP 3D set, and my 24" PS3 3D display and they both tell my eyes that maybe it isn't 'dvd quality' but it is close enough to the viewer that the differences are slight.  That said, it is not the same on all channels.

For some reason The History Channel has sharp picture..

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#34 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Well, don't reply then if it bothers you so much. I for one don't know if there is a difference and I might switch to Dish so I need to ask.

If you do decide you will want the Hopper with Sling,it has the ability to record 4 local programs at night(NBC,ABC,CBS and FOX) with one satellite tuner(Primetime Anytime) plus two other satellite tuner programs,or if you have the USB OTA tuner another local channel.The newer receiver's have the latest video chips so naturally you will see a better picture.Also the 922,Hopper,and Hopper with Sling all have the channel logos in the electronic programming guide and the Menu Tile format. :)

#35 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

I have had both over the years. I watch TV on a 1080p projector on a 145" screen and honestly I can't see the difference between the two in terms of HD, SD does look better on Dish but I avoid SD at all costs.  

In terms of signal strength it has a lot to do with your installer.  Since I tend to switch every 2 years I can see a trend and say that I had much better signal strength with Dish than with Direct.

In fact right now it's raining hard and I lost signal on Direct TV.  With Dish we had record setting snow here and I never lost signal.  

#36 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

I have a 100" screen with a Sony 1272 crt projector. That's why I'm asking.

Direct tv looks great now,  In HD 1080I) & SD,

just wondering if I switched to Dish if there would be any noticable changes

Dish has some great pricing right now compared to Direct tv

With that size you will definitely see a difference.

How ever the difference isnt that bad. As said earlier its not like your comparing VHS to DVD, but rather DVDHD to Blu ray. 

There both great formats but Dtv definitely has the edge, albeit slight.  Having owned both I would recommend going with which ever option makes you wallet feel good, your eyes wont care either way lol :P

#37 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Vertical resolution is the same (1080) but horizontal resolution is 2/3 of DTVs 1920 at 1440. the human eye does not perceive horizontal resolution as acutely as it does vertical resolution, mainly because most of our panning is horizontal.

If you actually look for a slight difference, you will find it, but if you are enjoying a movie or show, it will not be evident.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

Well, you're speaking from your own experience. Others have different perception profiles: some see no difference, others see a significant one. Still others.....

#39 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

BS. Not his opinion, you saying that is more honest than my opinion or others just because you may believe it. I say the color is better on Dishnetwork, in a very subtle way, but overall not enough difference in PQ between the two providers to matter. 

#40 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Some people can't see the difference between 720p, 1080i, and 1080p yet there is a difference.

There is none. Well there is of course but there may be good reason people don't see a difference and I often question those who say they do. Unless the screen is big enough and you sit close enough, there is no difference to the human eye. In fact given a smaller screen size and sitting at a normal viewing distance even 480 looks no worse than 1080. It's fact.

http://carltonbale.c...0p-does-matter/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...