Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish & Direct tv--Any signal or Picture difference?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Left out those of with both services that love having both!

Really, MORE of you need to be doing this!

:coffee

Heh.... but wouldn't that person also fit in one of my categories? Which one applies to you? (I think I know from a previous post.)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Did you pay attention during the transition to digital? The FCC had nightmares trying to even provide a second digital channel to all the stations in some markets, and there was lots of interference and overlap. Now that each station only has one channel again, there isn't any room for more bandwidth. To do what you proposed the FCC would not only have had to provide a second channel, but a whole second broadcast spectrum separate from the first. Flash-cut was never an option.

It's true that they could go MPEG4 today, and they can do that for their secondary channels. But absent a large installed base of tuners, such a move would bankrupt the industry. Such is always the danger of adopting a standard in the digital age - a better standard is always just around the corner. I don't see the government doing a second round of tuner box giveaways...

The FCC never needed to give every station two channels, that was a fiasco as you say. The top ten channels is all that needed it, not more than about ten channels where doing hd till after the switchover anyway. And since all this spectrum is free, they should have been happy with that and if not told to simply jump to Hi Definition earlier if they wanted. that alone would have pushed everyone to prepare with digital converters. Another option would have been to split the transition up into two parts if they really felt the need to give everyone two channels, and had two deadlines, one for the first group anyone for the second group. Bt since so many didn't bother going Hi Definition if at all until after the transition, they didn't need two channels ever.

And yeah, going mpeg4 today would be a nightmare. I am sure we will see another change in the next twenty years to another standard, but I really hope they are smarter next time.

#83 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Look, its all decent now, and it all could be even better, and likely will be some day, but even when we get the next better we will debate about who has the better better picture again.... :)

#84 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

The FCC never needed to give every station two channels, that was a fiasco as you say. The top ten channels is all that needed it, not more than about ten channels where doing hd till after the switchover anyway. And since all this spectrum is free, they should have been happy with that...

You show a great deal of ignorance on the importance of broadcast television, particularly to the elected leaders of the country who wish to ensure that everyone can see their vital and important political ads.  And I assume you're saying top 10 channels in each market, not 10 channels across the country.  And that is precisely where the problem was: in areas with overlapping metropolitan areas, there simply wasn't room for 10 additional channels.  "Negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full."  Consider the NYC/PA/Baltimorre/DC area.  There's not a single channel available that will not result in loss of signal coverage for another channel.  They squeezed them in for the transition, but it caused reception problems for people.

As for the "spectrum is free" idea, I suppose you think these stations have paid nothing for their licenses.  And if you read the broadcasters' inside magazines on the subject, many of them were nearly bankrupted by the digital transition.  Even now, their future survival is in doubt.  We may soon see the day where broadcast television ceases to exist altogether.  Whether you think that is a good thing or not depends on whether you believe people in poverty should be able to watch television.

#85 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hmmmmm. A TV in every home? Probably better than a chicken in every pot.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#86 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Did I leave anyone out?

Yeah, those of us who feel that there is a noticeable difference that does bother them, but won't leave because of other factors.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#87 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Left out those of with both services that love having both!

Really, MORE of you need to be doing this!

:coffee

Ha!  I don't see any cost/benefit to having both.

You probably own a Kalamazoo outdoor grill too. :eek2:

Edited by Grandude, 27 June 2013 - 09:54 AM.

• damondlt likes this

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#88 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,075 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Yea I have to agree, Americans piss away so much money!  

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#89 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ha!  I don't see any cost/benefit to having both.

You probably own a Kalamazoo outdoor grill too. :eek2:

Heh, heh, I know what everyone is talking about when they get into these big go rounds on which is better, LOL!!

The Dish RF remote is really a nice piece of technology.

The DirecTV feature that automatically programs a 2 way remote is neat too, WHEN IT WORKS, Grr.

Love all the features on the DirecTV receivers.

Really great to have RFD in HD on Dish

I have several D* HDDVRs, and a Dish 722, gobs of recording capacity.

Clients of mine that call with either service I can help over the phone now, and I am getting better at all the features of the Dish GUI.

Respect of my peers who install for one or the other, "Man!  You've got BOTH?!?!?!?!" I am revered as a local deity now, LOL.

Like the look of having both dishes on the roof, and they both are functional.

Easier to mirror on the Dish side, and I have many customers who do that, and I mirror 2 D* boxes and have quite a few clients with that set up too.

I get to make posts like this, which is a rush.

The WWOR,WPIX, KWGN, KTLA etc. package on Dish is a nice plus, I don't think I have any E* clients with that feature, I might brag it up a bit and see if anyone else would like it.

Long time D* customer, I'd never get rid of that, but after a month on E*, wish I had done that years ago too.

#90 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

I've often considered having both but can never come up with a way to package it out that makes any kind of financial sense.  Way too much duplication as far as I can see.

• damondlt likes this

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

spam firewall