Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Have the 622 - Want to upgrade to Hopper - transfer old content?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jaybo700R

Jaybo700R

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

We have the 622 and have had it since it first came out.  We have a LOT of content on there that we have stored sowe can watch it in the future as well as a 750mb external drive filled with content as well.  My wife is not willing to give up the content (4+ years as of yet unwatched Grey's anatomy?)  so we have yet to upgrade to the Hopper.  I asked Customer service and they said there was no way to transfer this over to the Hopper. They won't let me keep the 622 either.  

Are there any options that the CSR's are not able to tell me about?  Will not be able to have an external drive hooked to the Hopper?  Is there a way to transfer from the external drive to a computer and then play it later?  

Any help would be most appreciated, I REALLY want the additional tuners and capabilities of the Hopper! 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

The CSR is wrong you can transfer your EHD to the Hopper. You may need a larger one depending on how much you still have on the 622 HD. Contact a DIRT rep. such as MaryB http://www.dbstalk.c...network/ by PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Jaybo700R

Jaybo700R

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Sweet! The 622 was notorious for being very picky about what external drives would work with it.  I guess this means that I could put the content on the Hopper when I get it, then clear the old off of the EHD, and get the rest of the content off the 622.  

Wonder if I could do this in advance, and copy it all to my computer then transfer it back later?  

I'll point MaryB to this thread and get her input as well.  

THANKS! 

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

How much is an EHD?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Depending on size 80-120. Max size supported is 2TB.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,742 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Wonder if I could do this in advance, and copy it all to my computer then transfer it back later?  

Yes, you can do that with minimal effort; by using Linux, say Ubuntu, booted from CD (no need to install to your PC), just copy DishArc folders from each EHD partitions to your [PC] backup drive and restore them to other drive later (to clean drive, after H will initialize it). RandallA posted detailed procedure here and there.

Edited by P Smith, 13 June 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

We have the 622 and have had it since it first came out.  We have a LOT of content on there that we have stored sowe can watch it in the future as well as a 750mb external drive filled with content as well.  My wife is not willing to give up the content (4+ years as of yet unwatched Grey's anatomy?)  so we have yet to upgrade to the Hopper.  I asked Customer service and they said there was no way to transfer this over to the Hopper. They won't let me keep the 622 either.  

Are there any options that the CSR's are not able to tell me about?  Will not be able to have an external drive hooked to the Hopper?  Is there a way to transfer from the external drive to a computer and then play it later?  

Any help would be most appreciated, I REALLY want the additional tuners and capabilities of the Hopper! 

Yes, Thomasjk is 100% correct. Any EHD that is connected to the 622 or any other HD DVR receiver will be compatible with the Hopper. If you need any additional assistance, please PM me and I will be happy to help! Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#8 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Sweet! The 622 was notorious for being very picky about what external drives would work with it.  I guess this means that I could put the content on the Hopper when I get it, then clear the old off of the EHD, and get the rest of the content off the 622.  

I'll point MaryB to this thread and get her input as well.  

THANKS! 

if you purchase another EHD, say a 2TB one (they should only be a couple hundred at most) the Hopper will let you have 2 EHD's plugged in at the same time.  So before the upgrade remove your existing EHD from the 622 and plug a new EHD into the 622 and copy your content to this EHD.  Then when the Hopper comes and they disconnect the 622 just plug both EHD's into the Hopper and you can watch the content from there.  I wouldn't even bother to copy it back to the Hopper.

BTW, I upgraded a 622 and 722 to hoppers and transfered my content using EHD's without any problems.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#9 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

If it makes you feel any better I just did this a few months ago. Had an old 622, migrated everything over to my EHD, got the Hopper installed plugged in the EHD to the Hopper, everything worked perfect!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#10 OFFLINE   Jaybo700R

Jaybo700R

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yes, you can do that with minimal effort; by using Linux, say Ubuntu, booted from CD (no need to install to your PC), just copy DishArc folders from each EHD partitions to your [PC] backup drive and restore them to other drive later (to clean drive, after H will initialize it). RandallA posted detailed procedure here and there.

So I can't do it under Win7?  No problem if not I can easily boot from a thumb drive with Knoppix .. I have it somewhere ...  :) 

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,742 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

the drive is parttioned with EXT3 type... find RandallA's procedure here or there ...

#12 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

You can access these ext3 formatted drives in Mac OSX as well, either by installing Linux in a virtual machine or directly in OSX with some software.

http://reviews.cnet....-disks-in-os-x/

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,742 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Underneath the Aqua windowing system that OSX runs on is something called Darwin Unix.

As a Unix derivative, it should take EXT3 with some little additions ... see Mac OS forums

#14 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

2TB external drives are $80-$100.

spam firewall