Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie 0x06DB, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

This is the official Issues and Discussion thread for all Genie DVRs, version 0x06DB

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...7-genie-0x06db/

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Am I reading this correctly? Is this the third update to come out in the last three or four weeks? Is there any hope this is going to fix the picture quality that has deteriorated substantially on my HR 34?
GO GATORS!!!

#3 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Do they really have to push this update for the 44's? Just when it's working with the previous update they're gonna try and ruin the fun, and bring so many bugs to the new equipment.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#4 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Got it two days ago on my HR34, with no apparent problems or concerns.  But I haven't had any problems with any NR's on this box since I got it in September, unlike my HR24.  :nono2:  

Edited by Hotelone, 16 June 2013 - 12:38 PM.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

#5 OFFLINE   bobbin

bobbin

• Registered
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBedford County Virginia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

This one didn't fix the intermittent loss of all HD channels I've experienced since the install.  The tech is scheduled for tuesday.  I've rotated the ports on the SWiM and pulled a new piece of solid copper RG-6 for the Genie trying to establish that the SPOF is the Genie itself.  It's been out all day today with none of the scheduled HD recordings being made.  I turned  both HD and SD on on the guide and can see every SD version of the missed programs channels with the HD version in 721. The weather is in the north west sky here today and a quick test of signal levels on both the Genie and a 2 channel DVR show all beams as expected.

Just hope it puts this same show on for him on tuesday while it's still in the 90 day window.  

Or maybe it's time to fish awhile.

Bobbin

#6 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Just got a notice to "take full advantage of my HD by pressing RES on the front of the DVR"  Finally, they fixed the issue where my DVR kept dropping back to 480p.  Or at least it seems to be sticking to 1080i now.  Will track over time.

#7 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

Received this software update on my HR34 early this morning.  Receiver is about 9 months old.  I now have a problem I've never had before, where the picture/sound freeze when watching recorded DVR events.  It takes a FF to force the show to resume.  And it continues off and on like that throughout the recording.

There is a thread describing this exact problem in the DirecTV General Discussion Forum, titled "HR34 Freezing While Playing Back Buffer", with people seeing this exact problem for the last two days.  It has to be related to this software update.  My HR34 has had it's share of problems, but never this one before.

Hopefully someone from DTV can look into this.

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

My HR34-700 was updated to 0x60db at 04:18 this morning. Two hours later the receiver rebooted itself. Other than that no issues to report.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Am I reading this correctly? Is this the third update to come out in the last three or four weeks? Is there any hope this is going to fix the picture quality that has deteriorated substantially on my HR 34?

Firmware Watcher now shows 0x071E in the stream. That will make four updates in a very short amount of time.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Firmware Watcher now shows 0x071E in the stream. That will make four updates in a very short amount of time.

0x071E is a CE from over the weekend. It is a high risk release not a customer candidate!!! The latest NR for the GENIE is 0x06DB

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Trying to program the RC71 for Sony audio receiver on my MILs new 44.  I find the model, try vol up / down and it controls the receiver.  When I select the 'It work's, it returns to try and control the TV volume (which is fixed for the external audio)

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Received this update yesterday and my guide became very slow! Did a reset a few minutes ago and now the speed is back to where it was.

#13 OFFLINE   bobbin

bobbin

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

This one didn't fix the intermittent loss of all HD channels I've experienced since the install.  The tech is scheduled for tuesday.  I've rotated the ports on the SWiM and pulled a new piece of solid copper RG-6 for the Genie trying to establish that the SPOF is the Genie itself.  It's been out all day today with none of the scheduled HD recordings being made.  I turned  both HD and SD on on the guide and can see every SD version of the missed programs channels with the HD version in 721. The weather is in the north west sky here today and a quick test of signal levels on both the Genie and a 2 channel DVR show all beams as expected.

Just hope it puts this same show on for him on tuesday while it's still in the 90 day window.  

Or maybe it's time to fish awhile.

Bobbin

The tech agreed that the most likely single point of failure was the HR-34.  Since he had a HR44-500 with him we were both elated to see all the HD channels on the Genie come quite alive.  

Fast forward to this AM.  Once again the HD channels on the Genie are in 721.  The HR24-500 works just fine.  Both boxes have very similar signal levels.  Only one HD channel in the HR24 is in 721 right now.  I guess the question is just how much insertion loss is included inside the box to put all five tuners on one SWiM port.   It appears right now that, that number is just enough to throttle only the HD channels.   I'll try to get a new antenna alignment scheduled.  This one has been through two big wind storms in the past six months.    Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Bobbin

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

It's likely cabling, the lnb, or the swim switch if its not in the lnb. I think your doin the right thing.

#15 OFFLINE   jcthomas

jcthomas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

Since the update yesterday to my HR34, I noticed a major change of picture quality for the worse. 
This evening, I first cheched the resolution settings, but mine were unchanged.  Then I proceded on to other picture settings on my Samsung UN60ES8000.  I found that the contrast setting had to be lowered about 8 to 10 points on a scale of 0-100 and sharpness had to be lowered as well. Other picture settings had to be tweakd as well to return most of my previous excellent PQ. Has any one else experienced a decreasee in picture quality on their HR34 as an apparent result of the update?

Regards,

#16 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

I got the Ox06DB this past Tuesday 18 Jun 13 @ 0417. If I have any issues I'll post accordingly.

#17 OFFLINE   bobbin

bobbin

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

It's likely cabling, the lnb, or the swim switch if its not in the lnb. I think your doin the right thing.

He put in a new LNB last night, said all the clearances and dish orientation were good.  Just give him a ring if it continues during weather fade and he will pull new cables.  So far, so good.  This unit (HR44) replaces the HR34 (that was evidently good) that replaced the HR20-100 that had been the rerun box for quite a while.  The HR44 is very snappy and works well in managing it's half of the rerun load.   Pops right through the commercial breaks and is very satisfactory from any of the other HD DVR's as a server.  Couldn't be happier.  The main difference is the addition of the SWiM hardware and if we get past this loss of HD channels in the fades, we're good.

Just use it, very little retraining needed.

Bobbin

#18 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Received this software update on my HR34 early this morning. Receiver is about 9 months old. I now have a problem I've never had before, where the picture/sound freeze when watching recorded DVR events. It takes a FF to force the show to resume. And it continues off and on like that throughout the recording.

There is a thread describing this exact problem in the DirecTV General Discussion Forum, titled "HR34 Freezing While Playing Back Buffer", with people seeing this exact problem for the last two days. It has to be related to this software update. My HR34 has had it's share of problems, but never this one before.

Hopefully someone from DTV can look into this.

Just had this problem too, got the update two days ago. Tried playing the 9:00 news 16 minutes buffered and blank screen. I had to hit 30 sec skip two times to get video and audio to play.

Also, it is now missing recordings. It cancelled new episode of Colbert report tonight. Program info states "This episode was cancelled because of a programming update. (13/3/The Colbert Report expected cid: 1 1 BD22B 4EF found cid: 1 1 BD22B 4EE expected PO ID: 10526340 found PO ID: 10522038".

I also found in History that David Letterman was cancelled "This episode was cancelled because it did not match your show type settings or the program has already been recorded. (13/6/Late Show With David Letterman episode type:1 cid:1 1 12C26 1238", however, my recording list shows it is recording since it is a new episode. I confirmed it is recording by playing tonight's program buffered.

Weird stuff going on with this 0x6db update!

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#19 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

Never underestimate the ability of DTV to make something worse. Got this version on 6/18 and now we have the freezing playing back recorded programs. Could we just go back to the SD guide version which worked much better?

Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#20 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 179 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Received this on Tuesday 6/18 as well - definitely a noticeable downgrade for me. Speed is terrible - locked up multiple times when FF'ing through recorded live TV. Also gave me a blank screen with the previous channel's audio for 30 seconds before it finally changed the channel.

Fortunately it hasn't missed any recordings.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...