Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie 0x06DB, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Received this software update on my HR34 early this morning.  Receiver is about 9 months old.  I now have a problem I've never had before, where the picture/sound freeze when watching recorded DVR events.  It takes a FF to force the show to resume.  And it continues off and on like that throughout the recording.

There is a thread describing this exact problem in the DirecTV General Discussion Forum, titled "HR34 Freezing While Playing Back Buffer", with people seeing this exact problem for the last two days.  It has to be related to this software update.  My HR34 has had it's share of problems, but never this one before.

Hopefully someone from DTV can look into this.

I have this problem on my HR24!  Sitting here waiting for my Genie install as we speak.  Hope to have good results.

TAnsley

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I just had my HR34 installed yesterday and it quickly found the new software. I noticed that, overnight, the channel banner became "stuck" on Channel 630, and no matter how many different channels I tune to, I had to do a reset for it to clear. Is this a typical bug with the receiver? I've seen a few people have it happen on other boards but didn't find much when I searched. Thanks.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

New software can sometimes present one-time "bugs", and also the first 24 hours may be slow, the Guide may need to be repopulated and so forth. If you get that again, then more troubleshooting is indicated. 

• lgb0250 likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Trying to program the RC71 for Sony audio receiver on my MILs new 44.  I find the model, try vol up / down and it controls the receiver.  When I select the 'It work's, it returns to try and control the TV volume (which is fixed for the external audio)

An update here.  I was able to get the 'choose Audio or TV' dialogs this trip and the RC71 now controls volume / mute but won't turn off with the Off button.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

What won't it turn off? And what volume is it controlling now? 

#26 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have a Genie HR34 and earlier my receiver was acting up - stuttering and going blank every so often, about every 10 minutes or so... changing channel wouldn't fix it, etc... So I figured I would do a quick reboot of the system to correct it.  Well since then, when the system comes back up - I get the following menu screen attached, like a test mode screen or something... missing all the regular options and such.  I've rebooted about 8 times so far and also tried re-downloading the NR with no help... I also not able to see anything on my external harddrive.  Can anyone help?  Thanks ahead of time, this is very frusterating!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3772.JPG

Edited by keebler21, 21 June 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

I have a Genie HR34 and earlier my receiver was acting up - stuttering and going blank every so often, about every 10 minutes or so... changing channel wouldn't fix it, etc... So I figured I would do a quick reboot of the system to correct it.  Well since then, when the system comes back up - I get the following menu screen attached, like a test mode screen or something... missing all the regular options and such.  I've rebooted about 8 times so far and also tried re-downloading the NR with no help... I also not able to see anything on my external harddrive.  Can anyone help?  Thanks ahead of time, this is very frusterating!

WTF!? - while sitting here looking for help... I hear my wife put on Mickey Mouse for the kids...  I went and looked and the system is all back to normal menu screens, etc...  Is the system just that slow to reboot and get the menu screen back to normal?  Anyone else familar with this?  Wierd but glad it is working again... For now.

#28 OFFLINE   dengland

dengland

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

Still on 0x067e here in FL as of this AM. 

HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

#29 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

WTF!? - while sitting here looking for help... I hear my wife put on Mickey Mouse for the kids...  I went and looked and the system is all back to normal menu screens, etc...  Is the system just that slow to reboot and get the menu screen back to normal?  Anyone else familar with this?  Wierd but glad it is working again... For now.

We had to reboot ours and it does take FOREVER to get back to having menu items. It has never been quick to reboot. Now it is at least twice as long. Horrible performance. This software load is definitely the worst yet. Every new release makes something else slower and less useful. 

That screen you put on your previous post is the startup menu. We get that every time we move and have to setup the system. We travel full time. I hate the prospect of our next few weeks when we will be setting up a lot as we travel north. 

Edited by Jerry_K, 23 June 2013 - 08:16 AM.

Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#30 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Received this update yesterday and my guide became very slow! Did a reset a few minutes ago and now the speed is back to where it was.

Evidently I spoke too soon. Now I have the same problems others on here have reported with playbacks freezing! It seems to be happening on both live TV that is buffered and with recordings! The only way to get it started again is to hit the skip button and it will come back for a few moments and then freeze up again!

I have always considered myself one of the lucky ones because I have very rarely had any problems with my HR34 but thanks to D it looks like that's a thing of the past!!

Forgot to add that it seems like I get some audio stutter and some screen pixelation just before it freezes!

Edited by lgb0250, 23 June 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well, nothing is forever, esp. software glitches. Though there's not enough info to determine that's what it is. 

#32 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I haven't hard the freezing problems with recorded programs but since the update this is happening while watching from the live buffer.

#33 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

I haven't hard the freezing problems with recorded programs but since the update this is happening while watching from the live buffer.

Tonight, 3 DVR'D recordings in various areas just froze... Couldnt forward out, rewind, it just stopped. RBR, went back same spot froze. Deleted the program, began another and it happend again about 10 min in. Repeat and rinse with another show also. Did (BIST) check, no issues reported. So lets see, now we have live buffer freezing, Pauses not recovering, recorded shows locking up upon replay, Laag beyond belief etc... Honestly i dont know how to take this any longer, this the 2nd HR34 sent to me since 3rd quarter last year. Im about ready to lose my damn mind here.

Edited by Datagg, 24 June 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

Evidently I spoke too soon. Now I have the same problems others on here have reported with playbacks freezing! It seems to be happening on both live TV that is buffered and with recordings! The only way to get it started again is to hit the skip button and it will come back for a few moments and then freeze up again!
I have always considered myself one of the lucky ones because I have very rarely had any problems with my HR34 but thanks to D it looks like that's a thing of the past!!
Forgot to add that it seems like I get some audio stutter and some screen pixelation just before it freezes!

Did another menu reset and so far no problems. Everything seems to be back to normal! I guess time will tell.

#35 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

We had to reboot ours and it does take FOREVER to get back to having menu items. It has never been quick to reboot. Now it is at least twice as long. Horrible performance. This software load is definitely the worst yet. Every new release makes something else slower and less useful. 

That screen you put on your previous post is the startup menu. We get that every time we move and have to setup the system. We travel full time. I hate the prospect of our next few weeks when we will be setting up a lot as we travel north. 

I've never seen it reboot that slowly once the box is back to live TV so that why I figured it was good to go like always, didn't even think that I had to wait a bit yet for it to be fully functional, they should have some type of message or delay to get back to live TV so others don't think the same.  We had some storms over the weekend with a couple short power outages and had the same problem... seems like it take about 5 -10 minutes after it gets to live TV for everything to be working good again.  Hopefully they can fix the slow down issues soon!

#36 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Had an HR44-500 installed last week.  After it self-downloaded 6DB, I connected a WD30EZRX 3TB drive in a Thermaltake Blacx dock.

I made four or five attempts, but the Genie refused to see the external drive.

I connected the drive and enclosure to an HR24-100, and it formatted the disk.

I reconnected the drive to the HR44-500, and this time it saw the disk, and reformatted it again.

Through the Guided Tests menu, I confirmed the presence of the external drive.

#37 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Had an HR44-500 installed last week.  After it self-downloaded 6DB, I connected a WD30EZRX 3TB drive in a Thermaltake Blacx dock.

I made four or five attempts, but the Genie refused to see the external drive.

I connected the drive and enclosure to an HR24-100, and it formatted the disk.

I reconnected the drive to the HR44-500, and this time it saw the disk, and reformatted it again.

Through the Guided Tests menu, I confirmed the presence of the external drive.

I have an external drive also but didn't know there was a way to confirm it's presence.  I looked under info again but don't see anything... are you able to tell me how you check?  Thanks!

#38 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

I have an external drive also but didn't know there was a way to confirm it's presence.  I looked under info again but don't see anything... are you able to tell me how you check?  Thanks!

Reboot the DVR.  Use menu/settings/restart (make sure you restart, not reset) rather than the red button in the access-card drawer.

When the reboot screen shows "Running Self-Check," press the Select button on the remote.  That will bring up a Guided Test menu. It may take a minute to begin.

Hit Next until you reach the External Drive test. (It's about 15 tests in.  You don't need to run the others.) If the DVR sees the eSATA, the model and serial number of the drive will appear, and the DVR will run a disk check.  When the test is over, skip through the rest of the tests until you can bring up the main menu and then exit.

That will take you back to the reboot.

• keebler21 likes this

#39 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Reboot the DVR.  Use menu/settings/restart (make sure you restart, not reset) rather than the red button in the access-card drawer.

When the reboot screen shows "Running Self-Check," press the Select button on the remote.  That will bring up a Guided Test menu. It may take a minute to begin.

Hit Next until you reach the External Drive test. (It's about 15 tests in.  You don't need to run the others.) If the DVR sees the eSATA, the model and serial number of the drive will appear, and the DVR will run a disk check.  When the test is over, skip through the rest of the tests until you can bring up the main menu and then exit.

That will take you back to the reboot.

Great - Thanks for the information!

#40 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Since getting 0x06db a week or so ago nothing has changed for my HR34 including the fact that: 

1,  Oftentimes it goes to a freeze frame mode when I press FFWD, and

2.  When I press PLAY after having been in a FFWD mode, especially speed setting 3, the DVR still does not auto-rewind nearly far enough to compensate for my lightning quick reaction time.  My HR23 and HR24 do this FFWD > PLAY auto-rewind perfectly.

Also, since the new software, my HR34 has crashed twice.  It never crashed with either of the two previous software downloads.  Yesterday after the second crash when I did a RBR, a light blue screen with yellow characters came up asking if I wanted to do a diagnostics check.  I said NO and the HR34 then went ahead and rebooted.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 27 June 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...