Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie 0x06DB, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   bobbin

bobbin

• Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBedford County Virginia

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

He put in a new LNB last night, said all the clearances and dish orientation were good.  Just give him a ring if it continues during weather fade and he will pull new cables.  So far, so good.  This unit (HR44) replaces the HR34 (that was evidently good) that replaced the HR20-100 that had been the rerun box for quite a while.  The HR44 is very snappy and works well in managing it's half of the rerun load.   Pops right through the commercial breaks and is very satisfactory from any of the other HD DVR's as a server.  Couldn't be happier.  The main difference is the addition of the SWiM hardware and if we get past this loss of HD channels in the fades, we're good.

Just use it, very little retraining needed.

Bobbin

Latest news... Just lost satellite signal in the Exede internet connection after six days plus of continuous connection, due to local weather. (thunderstorms)  A quick check of the Genie shows full recording activity during the fade with no loss of signal.  Confirms that the new LNB restored full functionality for TV as well as restoring the normal higher dynamic range for TV during fading weather.    Comparing dynamic SNR levels of the Exede hardware indicates that this fade was over 7 dB to the Via-Sat 1 bird so the similar DTV birds were able to continue to function during roughly the same 7 dB fade cycle. 

Time to catch a fish!

Bobbin

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Since my HR34 got the 6DB upgrade I have noticed a few episodes of freezing audio and video on both live and recorded shows. The box will sit there for 5 or 6 seconds then return to normal operation.

Don't remember seeing this before 6DB.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

To be clearer, my RC 71 can control the volume of my AVR, or if it's off, the volume of my TV. If I am running all three, the Off button shuts all of them off. 

But, by your own admission, it's technically not turning off your AVR.  Your AVR turns off because it's getting no signal so your RC71 isn't turning off your AVR.  The RC71 doesn't turn my AVR off either.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Admission!? Don't think I've denied anything.... :smoking: 

But: It's not lack of signal to the AVR that shuts it off. I'm far from expert in this, but I believe the TV, recognizing a signal from the C71 to shut off, signals the DVR to also shut off. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#55 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

1. Could you be holding the button down just a bit and getting slo-mo?

2. Not sure what to say here, but if your reactions were slower, you'd have more to reverse, yes? I guess I've learned to anticipate when the commercial runs are nearing their end, and hit Play at that point. Not always, of course.

When I am in FFWD with my HR 23 and HR24, when a commercial ends and exactly when the program resumes, pressing PLAY will auto-backspace about 5 seconds into the end of the commercial and let me see the program restoration from its very beginning.  Doing the same with my HR34, pressing PLAY at the resumption of the program doesn't backspace at all, or at least far enough to restart from at the end of the commercial.  I have to use my 6 seconds REPLAY button to get me back to the end of the commercial.  Sometimes I even have to press REPLAY twice.  In other words, my HR23 and HR24 automatically act AS IF they hit the REPLAY button when I FFWD > PLAY and the HR34 does not.  It would be a very simple matter for the DTV programmers to make the HR34 auto-rewind in the same manner that the HR23 and HR24 do when one presses PLAY while in the FFWD mode.  After a year of nagging about this, I'm convinced they simply don't give a rat's.

#56 OFFLINE   dengland

dengland

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

Still on 0x067e here in FL as of this AM. 

Still the same.  Any disadvantage to forcing the download?  Thx.

HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

#57 OFFLINE   stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Since my HR34 got the 6DB upgrade I have noticed a few episodes of freezing audio and video on both live and recorded shows. The box will sit there for 5 or 6 seconds then return to normal operation.

Don't remember seeing this before 6DB.

J C

I'm seeing this too on my newly installed HR44 with 2 clients...for me it seems like its only 2 or 3 seconds though.  Also occasion pixellation/artifacts in the image, almost as if rain fade is ocurring...but no rain in the area.  Tech spent a lot of time working on the signal strength so I'm pretty sure that the dish/lnb/alignment isn't the issue.

#58 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Still the same.  Any disadvantage to forcing the download?  Thx.

You can try forcing all you want but you won't get it until your account is authorized for it.  Best thing to do is wait.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#59 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Got 0x06db 17 days ago.  My HR34 crashed for the fourth time today.  Never crashed with the previous two softwares.  Had to do an RBR -- again.  I thought a quick RBR didn't flush the program guide.  Every single time I've done an RBR on my HR34 since I got it 16 months ago the program guide has been flushed.  What's more, RBRs erase all of my modified START EARLY END LATER settings.

#60 OFFLINE   upgrade lately?

upgrade lately?

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

HR44/500 records repeats for all series links even though they are setup to only record first run episodes.

Report 20130630-4A88
HR44-500
(3) C41's

D* Since 2000

#61 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

First time since receiving 06DB a couple of weeks ago that I've attempted to use the HR34-700 as a client and discovered that attempting to play back any recording from either my HR24-500 or my HR 22-100 results in audio/video stuttering every 3-5 seconds, rendering the recording unwatchable. Resetting all units, along with my router, resulted in no improvement whatsoever. Essentially, the HR34 is now useless as a client.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#62 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,574 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

You might try resetting Network, twice, running through it without changing anything. Then reboot all boxes. Please let us know if this does the trick. Hope so. 

#63 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Noticed last night that my HR34 decided it no longer wanted to record new episodes of Family Guy. Not sure how long this has been going on, but it wasn't even in the history as a missed recording - simply acted as though it wasn't supposed to do anything.

Makes me wonder how many other series links aren't working. What's the point of having a DVR with series links if it doesn't record them?

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#64 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,574 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

Quite right. Sometimes episodes get tagged incorrectly by Tribune Media Services, and new eps are shown as old and old eps can get recorded because the DVR sees them as marked 'new'. 

Are you seeing this on several series links? 

It also might help to flush the Guide. That's a double menu reset inside of 30 minutes. 

#65 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

In this case, the DVR wasn't even "aware" the series was on TV at the time. Normally if it was flagged incorrectly, I'd see something in the history about it being cancelled due to not meeting certain criteria. In this case, there was nothing at all. I deleted and recreated the series link and it started recording.

I do not know how many other series it is affecting. It's definitely not everything because some things are recording without any issues. Some of our shows are on break and we won't know until the new seasons start.

Quite right. Sometimes episodes get tagged incorrectly by Tribune Media Services, and new eps are shown as old and old eps can get recorded because the DVR sees them as marked 'new'. 

Are you seeing this on several series links? 

It also might help to flush the Guide. That's a double menu reset inside of 30 minutes. 

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#66 OFFLINE   bobbin

bobbin

• Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBedford County Virginia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Noticed last night that my HR34 decided it no longer wanted to record new episodes of Family Guy. Not sure how long this has been going on, but it wasn't even in the history as a missed recording - simply acted as though it wasn't supposed to do anything.

Makes me wonder how many other series links aren't working. What's the point of having a DVR with series links if it doesn't record them?

In my case the missed recording was in HD.  I think I've proven that the Genie has a measurable difference in sensitivity between HD and SD. If you set the guide to see both SD and HD and then set your Family Guy to record on both channels, you're really looking at the difference between two satellites.  What with all the atmospheric disturbances associated with the recent weather it's easy to fall into that signal area.  The difference is that the Genie doesn't report the failure to record like the other DVRs will.   If it doesn't get a partial recording, nothing shows in the "list".

Just a thought.

Bobbin

#67 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

In my case the missed recording was in HD.  I think I've proven that the Genie has a measurable difference in sensitivity between HD and SD. If you set the guide to see both SD and HD and then set your Family Guy to record on both channels, you're really looking at the difference between two satellites.  What with all the atmospheric disturbances associated with the recent weather it's easy to fall into that signal area.  The difference is that the Genie doesn't report the failure to record like the other DVRs will.   If it doesn't get a partial recording, nothing shows in the "list".

Just a thought.

Bobbin

I live in SE North Dakota. Other than a very wet Spring, the skies have been sunny and clear - Sunday was no exception. This was not a weather related disturbance. The channel was working fine at the time of recording because I watched the episode live; Genie totally missed the boat on this recording, showing no evidence of even trying to record the program.

Nonetheless, I've deleted and recreated the series recording. With any luck it will work properly.

#68 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,574 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

I live in SE North Dakota. Other than a very wet Spring, the skies have been sunny and clear - Sunday was no exception. This was not a weather related disturbance. The channel was working fine at the time of recording because I watched the episode live; Genie totally missed the boat on this recording, showing no evidence of even trying to record the program.

Nonetheless, I've deleted and recreated the series recording. With any luck it will work properly.

Yes, it should, but.... it has to be tagged properly.

Maybe Genie is really smart, thinking, OK, this guy's watching live, we're running out of disk space, so we won't record this..... well it could happen.... :grin:  I offer this last bit as hopefully amusing...

#69 OFFLINE   Ensoniq

Ensoniq

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Is DirecTV going to ever fix the fact that live-buffer doesn't survive standby mode, and that it sometimes wipes itself after playing a recording?

#70 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,574 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hard to say. I never count on buffers for anything, so if it's something I think I might, maybe, kinda wanna watch, I hit R. Way simpler, way more assured. 

#71 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Is DirecTV going to ever fix the fact that live-buffer doesn't survive standby mode, and that it sometimes wipes itself after playing a recording?

:thats: good question..One that i have asked since last year and 2 HR34's later.

#72 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

Just last week I called the "tech support" dept. and asked if that was by design or a bug and the reply I got from them was that it would be fixed with a software update.

The lady couldn't tell me when just that it would be coming, shocker!

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#73 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,180 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

"Soon"

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#74 OFFLINE   gusbuf

gusbuf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

I am having an issue with my HR34 Genie.  From what I gather reading on this site, it seems to be a fairly widespread issue too.  Since the most recent update, I cannot watch a show without it freezing up and stopping.  I then have to FF for a few seconds and it will be Ok again until it happens again, which could be a minute later or ten minutes later, depending on how much the HR34 wants to piss me off!  It is to the point that watching a pre-recorded show is impossible.  There is discussion of this issue on another board on dbstalk  http://www.dbstalk.c...er#entry3148020.  At what point does Directv decide to fix this issue?  It is getting worse with each pre-recorded show we want to watch.  Most recently, we watched episode 2 of Under the Dome on CBS.  Was recorded Monday 7/1, I believe.  Watched it last night, 7/2.  Could barely focus on the show because the playback froze up at least a dozen times.  This is unacceptable for what is supposed to be Directv's premier piece of hardware, The Genie. 

Did a red button reset.  Genie went to Disk Erro screen and claimed I had 296 disk errors.  It took about 15 minutes to "fix" these errors. After the errors were supposedly fixed, and the unit was reset, the same problem still happened.  WTF?!?!  #starting to regret giving up my HR23-700 for the HR34 Genie.  HELP!!!

DirecTV HR20-700 x 2, HR34 Genie x 1, H20-600 x 1,
plus lots of other cool looking and sounding stuff,
like HDTV's, DVD Players, Pre/Pro's & Amps, and
some great sounding speakers!

#75 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Yes, it should, but.... it has to be tagged properly.

Maybe Genie is really smart, thinking, OK, this guy's watching live, we're running out of disk space, so we won't record this..... well it could happen.... :grin:  I offer this last bit as hopefully amusing...

LOL - no, it wasn't even that smart. I tuned in live about 10 minutes late. I noticed it wasn't recording at that point. No idea what went wrong, but it's only a tv show so not the end of the world.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...