Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie 0x06DB, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

There may not have been anything in the stream at the moment you were trying to download.

That's what the CSR said. This is  the problem, at first I was told that I'll need a new multiplexer, then I was told I didn't. So now it's ends up not only do I need a new multiplexer but I need a new dish as well. Luckily they're not charging me for the service call.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

Luckily they're not charging me for the service call.

How gracious of them.

• alexcohen likes this

#83 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

First time since receiving 06DB a couple of weeks ago that I've attempted to use the HR34-700 as a client and discovered that attempting to play back any recording from either my HR24-500 or my HR 22-100 results in audio/video stuttering every 3-5 seconds, rendering the recording unwatchable. Resetting all units, along with my router, resulted in no improvement whatsoever. Essentially, the HR34 is now useless as a client.

In addition to the above, I have discovered that the attempted playback of any video source via Media Share (using either PlayOn or TVersity as the server) also results in the same audio/video stuttering as mentioned above. There were no playback issues prior to 06DB.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#84 OFFLINE   curtm1973

curtm1973

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Az

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

The picture will freeze on the screen or will go black. A change of channels usually fixes it. The real annoying part is I am getting numerous partial recordings (3 min, 12 min, 32 min, etc).

Very frustrating 3 weeks since this HR44-500 was installed. Haven't had 1 day without issues. 4 tech visits and 1 receiver swap also. Confused.

#85 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,637 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

To what are you connected?

Perhaps a long shot, but try flushing the Guide. You do this by making two resets (reboots) inside of 30 minutes. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#86 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

When I am in FFWD with my HR 23 and HR24, when a commercial ends and exactly when the program resumes, pressing PLAY will auto-backspace about 5 seconds into the end of the commercial and let me see the program restoration from its very beginning.  Doing the same with my HR34, pressing PLAY at the resumption of the program doesn't backspace at all, or at least far enough to restart from at the end of the commercial.  I have to use my 6 seconds REPLAY button to get me back to the end of the commercial.  Sometimes I even have to press REPLAY twice.  In other words, my HR23 and HR24 automatically act AS IF they hit the REPLAY button when I FFWD > PLAY and the HR34 does not.  It would be a very simple matter for the DTV programmers to make the HR34 auto-rewind in the same manner that the HR23 and HR24 do when one presses PLAY while in the FFWD mode.  After a year of nagging about this, I'm convinced they simply don't give a rat's.

I have this same bug.  While fast-forwarding then hitting play there is no 5 or 6 second auto correct like my HR-2*'s had.  If it does auto correct, it is not enough to notice or help. Maybe it goes back 2 seconds?

Also, when I then manually jump back, instead of the old 8 seconds each jump back it jumps back maybe 2 seconds.  So to correct an over shoot after fast forwarding I need to jump back 4 to 6 times instead of 1 or 2 times.

Also, fast forward 4x is not a smooth fast forward like thee HR-2*s.  It seems to lurch ahead in a series of 30 second or 1 minute jumps.

Perhaps Directv wants to make skipping commercials more difficult and the above issues are not bugs?

#87 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,637 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Doubt that.

4x jumps about quite a bit for me, so I always use 3x. I often hit about right at the end of the commercial span, but if I overshoot, I use <<, not back 2, 6 or 8 seconds, whatever it is. You certainly don't need to use it.

#88 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Doubt that.

4x jumps about quite a bit for me, so I always use 3x. I often hit about right at the end of the commercial span, but if I overshoot, I use <<, not back 2, 6 or 8 seconds, whatever it is. You certainly don't need to use it.

Yes, if I overshoot, then I have been using reverse << to find the right spot then I overshoot going back so I need to >> then I overshoot again so <<.  at this point the family is about to kill me. 

The old auto correct feature was great and often eliminated doing a jump back.  But if they had to get rid of auto correct on FF, at least have the manual jumpback working properly.

#89 OFFLINE   curtm1973

curtm1973

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Az

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Was told today by a Direct TV tech that there is a growing number of issues with Genie 0x06DB, and an emergency meeting is scheduled for tomorrow.

Numerous customers (like myself) having issues with the picture freezing and partial recordings.

They are working fast to fix the problem, and will know more tomorrow.

#90 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

I haven't had any weird freezing issues that others have talked about.  Just the ff and backslide issue/change.  Besides my nit pics I love the speed of the Genie.  No more hit a button and wait for something to happen.

I did some experimenting with a basketball game on with the second clock running.  The auto correct after a 3x ff forward after hitting play is ~5 seconds.  

Hitting backslide (jump back) is ~4 seconds.   I noticed I can hit backslide twice fast and get ~9 seconds.

So an auto correct and a quick backslide will get me close to the HR-2* numbers. 

BTW - Did Direct TV ever add a way to do slow mo that is not a long play press.  I was trying to slow down a baseball play to night and with my Harmony Universal, the long press is flaky and it took about 5 tries to get the slow motion started at the right point.  Many years ago with my Tivo, all I had to do was hit the slow motion button and that was it. 

I also notice the yellow button no longer takes me to CC as it did for a while.  I get info then need to do some tabbing and clicking to turn CC on or off.

Maybe since I watched this forum closely the came up with better work arounds for slow motion and close caption.

#91 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,637 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Slo-Mo: Not quite the same thing, but hitting Pause, then clicking on FF arrows steps through a sequence. Very useful at times. 

#92 OFFLINE   deadkenny64

deadkenny64

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Slo-Mo: Not quite the same thing, but hitting Pause, then clicking on FF arrows steps through a sequence. Very useful at times. 

:sure:

#93 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

I just tried the pause and ff - it is basically frame by frame.  Ok for a very short part of a football or baseball play but not good for watching an entire play in slow motion.

On my Harmony 900, to get it in slow motion I hold play down. Then after a few seconds I need to quickly let go of play then hit play again.  After doing this five or six times I can get the genie in slow motion mode.  Not good for going to slow motion quickly on the fly.  Apparently my harmony does not do long press so I need to do this method...

While checking the pause ff method just now, I noticed my Genie remote does not have a dedicated play button that I can long press.  It has a combined play/pause button.  If I hold it down it pauses, then after awhile it starts back up in regular speed.  Not sure how to go to slow motion with the new remotes.

Don't tell me they made slow motion harder to do than easier?

Edit:  I see now.  On the new Directv remote if I hold the play/pause button it Pauses then after a few seconds plays, then it quickly goes into slow motion.  Kind of clumsy, but it does go to slow motion closer to the point of the start of the long press than before.  If they did a redesign remote, why not add a slow motion button?

Edited by Special Ed, 09 July 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#94 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,637 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Because (it seems) reducing the number of buttons was paramount.

#95 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

Starting to get more and more of the of the freezes! Happened three times yesterday where all of a sudden it just stops? I push the skip fwd button and hear a short sound blurb from the show but the screen is still froze. Push it again and the show comes back on. This is live tv im talking about, not a recorded show. At first because of all the rain we've been having i thought a 771 code would pop up but that never happens in this case. Hope this isn't just an inherent problem with the HR34.

#96 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Anyone having issues with the video quality?  I've noticed that I've stopped getting HD quality on the TV that is hooked up to my HR34.  Peoples faces look two toned and other things of the screen look the same. I checked that I'm on 1080i setting and also rebooted the box and still the same results as well as checking to make sure all cables are secure.  When I watch the same recording on the C31 Genie Client on my other TV, the quality is fine.  I'll try to post a picture later...  Thanks.

#97 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Anyone having issues with the video quality?  I've noticed that I've stopped getting HD quality on the TV that is hooked up to my HR34.  Peoples faces look two toned and other things of the screen look the same. I checked that I'm on 1080i setting and also rebooted the box and still the same results as well as checking to make sure all cables are secure.  When I watch the same recording on the C31 Genie Client on my other TV, the quality is fine.  I'll try to post a picture later...  Thanks.

Not experiencing video quality issues with my HR34-700.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#98 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,637 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Are you sure it's not the TV? You can test by moving the client onto that TV. 

#99 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Not experiencing video quality issues with my HR34-700.

Could be the TV itself also but will have to hook up another device to check.  Thanks.

#100 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

I am having 2 Audio issues with the HR44, but not sure if they are related to 0x06DB.

First, total loss of audio; Sometimes when I change channels, i will get no sound at all on the new channel. If I change back to the previous channel, I get sound. And then if I return to the new channel, I will get sound. This happens a couple of times a night.

Second issue happened last night. I totally lost Dolby Digital on most of the channels. I was watching a movie on HBO (501) and it was coming through as stereo. then I switched to ESPN, MLB Network, NHL Network and a few other movie channels. All stereo. I then switched to my PS3 and everything came through in DD. I rebooted the HR44 twice and it was not fixed. Dolby Digital was selected in the Settings menu.

I am not sure if it was a HR44 problem, 0x06DB  problem or something else. Are these known issues with the software or should I look for other causes?

Thanks.

0x06DB
GO GATORS!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...