Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Genie installation with an old dish

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

I called and was eligible for a new Genie, 2 new minis and free installation.    I currently have an HR20, H20 and an old SD receiver in the kitchen (I know I'll need a new TV for the kitchen).

I have a basic dish/wiring setup that was installed back when I got the HR20/H20 many moons ago.  No switch, just the four wires coming from the dish.  Two to the HR20, one to the H20 and one to the old SD receiver/TV in the kitchen.

I asked the CSR if I needed a new dish (twice) and she assured me I did not.

So was she correct??  

Is there anything I need to make sure that is on the order?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

What of the old equipment are you going to keep online ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

If you're replacing all of your existing equipment with a Genie and 2 clients, the installer will just change the LNB on your existing dish.  There will be 1 wire coming off of the dish.  It will run to a splitter, at which individual lines will run to your 3 boxes.  Whichever box is going to be positioned where the HR-20 is now located, will only need one of the two wires that are currently running to that location.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,665 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

The installer can also you one of the two lines of the HDDVR to install the PI inserter there. This way the PI is not inline with a receiver.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

If you're replacing all of your existing equipment with a Genie and 2 clients, the installer will just change the LNB on your existing dish.  There will be 1 wire coming off of the dish.  It will run to a splitter, at which individual lines will run to your 3 boxes.  Whichever box is going to be positioned where the HR-20 is now located, will only need one of the two wires that are currently running to that location.

Yes.  All the existing equipment is being replaced.     So sounds like I should be good to go.   Thanks for the replies.

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

That is, unless what the TS means by ...;

"... basic dish/wiring setup that was installed back when I got the HR20/H20 many moons ago. "

Is an old AT-9 dish, then the entire dish assembly must be replaced.

Not because the AT-9 cannot technically be made to work by connecting it to a SWiM-8 module, but because that is the standard installation policy. 

Edited by HoTat2, 13 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

If your total tuner count will be 8 or less (Genie has 5, DVR has 2, receiver has 1), then you will most likely get a new LNB assembly in your existing dish (or a Slimline dish if you have the older AT9 dish).  One of the 4 existing coax will be used to feed down from the dish and the other 3 will be tied off and left unused.

If your total tuner count will be more than 8, then you will need an external SWM16 multiswitch which must be connected back to the dish with all four coax.

If the dish is particularly difficult to reach, the installer might use an SWM8 multiswitch rather than change the LNB, in which case the 4 coax you now have would run to the SWM8 multiswitch.

#8 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have a Slimline dish. Also it's pretty easy to access so I'll probably get a new lnb since I'll just have the 5 tuners on the genie.

#9 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Just as everyone said the installer replaced the LNB and put a splitter where the four lines come into the garage. Everything working fine.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,665 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the update
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...