Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Current customer who is very upset

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

I just want what I've had for years without unnecessary charges added on by changes I never agreed to.

You agreed to all the changes in your billing.  Dish is required by law to notify you of any changes related to terms of service, and when they do, they inform you that if you do not accept the new TOS, you can cancel by a certain date.  Your failure to cancel is acceptance of the new TOS. And I'm certain that the original TOS you signed stated that Dish had the right to change package contents or prices at any time, as that has been standard practice for as long as I've been a pay TV customer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

I am not sure of what this thread is about. If one does not like the way they are being treated, then drop the service and move on to something different. You might discover something you like better. With streaming, there are more choices and many of them are cheaper.

#43 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Same story with Direct TV. I can't get a free equipment upgrade. I've been a customer for several years.

2nd that - honestly, in just the little over a year I've had all of my primary prog w/E*, I'm actually shocked HOW good they have treated me in this respect...

When I went to finally dumpt D*, I actually was an existing E* sub, but only w/Welcome Pak & supers.  They not only replaced all 3 of my SD receivers/DVR's w/ALL HD ones for FREE & upgraded the dish to HD, they then even gave me a 2nd 722k FREE as well, as well as waiving ALL tech visit charges!  (total (2) 722k's, (1) 612 & (1) 211k - I NEVER got anywhere near that good of treatment from D*!

Now fast forward to last month, when I was just around 1 year in my 2 year contract. (ie:  STILL under contract)  To my surprise (again), E* came through on a mover/upgrade!  Gave me 1 Ho, 1 HWS, 2 Jo's, a DPP44 & gave me a purchased 211k, ALL FREE & w/NO tech visit charges.  Also got the normal 3 months FREE of premiums.  (also added a 3rd purchased HWS, so that I could get it before the monthly price increases on these, which I did)

Again, NEVER, EVER got anything even close to this out of D* f/FREE... 

Edited by dishrich, 15 June 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I really never understand the sense of entitlement.  I ALWAYS tell people to ask... it never hurts to ask... but to expect freebies?  That seems like a bad expectation.

I eat at McDonald's at least once a week...  next time I go, I'm going to ask for a free Big Mac.  If they say no, I'll remind them how I'm there every week... and if they still refuse, I'll never to go McDonald's again... I mean, they OWE me a free sandwich, right?

;)

+1......The only thing customers are entitled to is the service they are paying for. As Stewart said, it never hurts to ask but don't expect a freebie.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#45 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

2nd that - honestly, in just the little over a year I've had all of my primary prog w/E*, I'm actually shocked HOW good they have treated me in this respect.

Again, NEVER, EVER got anything even close to this out of D* f/FREE... 

And how much did they jack up your monthly bill with fees and added charges?  Seriously, you're not getting anything 'free'.

I wouldn't take any of those 'free' equipment offers because I know what it will end up costing me in additional monthly fees.

As far as premium channels, I have had the promos before and the occasional monthly previews and have never found anything to watch.  I don't even check them out any more when the monthly free previews are offered.

I could even handle the 3-5% annual rate increases, but when they arbitrarily decide to raise my rates by over $200/yr with no benefit whatsoever, it just doesn't make sense.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#46 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

And how much did they jack up your monthly bill with fees and added charges?  Seriously, you're not getting anything 'free'.

I wouldn't take any of those 'free' equipment offers because I know what it will end up costing me in additional monthly fees.

As far as premium channels, I have had the promos before and the occasional monthly previews and have never found anything to watch.  I don't even check them out any more when the monthly free previews are offered.

I could even handle the 3-5% annual rate increases, but when they arbitrarily decide to raise my rates by over $200/yr with no benefit whatsoever, it just doesn't make sense.

We get it. PLEASE, WE ALL GET IT! We have got it for the last few months now...you are pissed at Dish because you think you have been mistreated so you are going to hijack and bitch on any and every thread you can. Would you please move on now. You haven't added anything constructive for months except your drivel about how much you think Dish screwed you over. WE GET IT ALREADY!
Plus we all know there is more to the story...the part you conveniently leave out each time you spout off about how you think you were so "mistreated" by Dish.
Do us all a favor now that we all get it and just go away already!
  • sigma1914 likes this

#47 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Actually they jacked DOWN my monthly fees - because I got all 3 Hoppers grandfathered in at the lower (WHDVR & added Ho) fees, which now my monthly bill is now LOWER than with the legacy receivers, ha ha!  :P  SERIOUSLY, NEVER got that w/D*!

We get it. PLEASE, WE ALL GET IT! We have got it for the last few months now...you are pissed at Dish because you think you have been mistreated so you are going to hijack and bitch on any and every thread you can. Would you please move on now. You haven't added anything constructive for months except your drivel about how much you think Dish screwed you over. WE GET IT ALREADY!
Plus we all know there is more to the story...the part you conveniently leave out each time you spout off about how you think you were so "mistreated" by Dish.
Do us all a favor now that we all get it and just go away already!

+1  :righton:  Probably why he couldn't have nice things like some of us get from E*  :D

Edited by dishrich, 15 June 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

I really never understand the sense of entitlement.  I ALWAYS tell people to ask... it never hurts to ask... but to expect freebies?  That seems like a bad expectation.

I eat at McDonald's at least once a week...  next time I go, I'm going to ask for a free Big Mac.  If they say no, I'll remind them how I'm there every week... and if they still refuse, I'll never to go McDonald's again... I mean, they OWE me a free sandwich, right?

;)

Funny you should say McDonald's. The manager of the local one knows my clan fairly well as the great grandtibbers love the playground. So the last time we stopped in she gave everyone free ice cream. :)

A friend of mine went to the same McDs daily for lunch, eating the same meal for years. On the day they closed that store the manager was waiting for my friend and gave him the meal for free. And he didn't have to wait in line. :)

Yet, you are right, Neither we or my friend felt entitled to demand freebies. We're just grateful for them. 

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#49 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

If you don't ask, the answer is always no.  As one of the other posted noted, we, too are always getting a discount on services.  Jerry and I have been AEP customers for several years, and only called when we had to upgrade to a HD receiver.  The Dish reps have been wonderful, IMO, and they do really seem to care about keeping this customer happy. 

My  experience with cable (Atlantic BB) was not satisfying, and I felt Dish is a better value for my (our) situation than DTV.

JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#50 OFFLINE   BlueRidgePro

BlueRidgePro

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Best value is to get the introductory deal - low rates for a year. Then pay full rates for the 2nd year, before switching to the other sat company.  

Switching between Dish & Direct gets you low rates for the 1st year and new free installation of the latest receivers.  Stay for 2 years & then switch back.

There's always a deal & always free installation.  

I've been doing this for years. 5 or 6 changes.  I always have latest, new, equipment & 1 year of significantly reduced rates. The only downside is having to plan carefully to allow watching of your stored program backlog, and then having to reprogram the DVRs.  I've never once been offered anything serious to stay.  Usually some insignificant saving or credit.

Just checking this forum out, for my upcoming switch back to Dish.

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,469 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Best value is to get the introductory deal - low rates for a year. Then pay full rates for the 2nd year, before switching to the other sat company.

Switching between Dish & Direct gets you low rates for the 1st year and new free installation of the latest receivers. Stay for 2 years & then switch back.

There's always a deal & always free installation.

I've been doing this for years. 5 or 6 changes. I always have latest, new, equipment & 1 year of significantly reduced rates. The only downside is having to plan carefully to allow watching of your stored program backlog, and then having to reprogram the DVRs. I've never once been offered anything serious to stay. Usually some insignificant saving or credit.

Just checking this forum out, for my upcoming switch back to Dish.

I guess to each his own, but I rather pay a little extra to have the convenience
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

I guess to each his own, but I rather pay a little extra to have the convenience

I'd rather not be charged extra fees that have nothing to do with programming

If I'm making a car payment every month, I shouldn't he charged an extra fee for the dashboard or headlights.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,469 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

If I'm making a car payment every month, I shouldn't he charged an extra fee for the dashboard or headlights.

what fees are you referring to?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

He's been kicking this dead horse for days...he was getting major credits, and they expired and fees went up as well.  Now he's paying full price and not happy

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

I reiterate what everybody says on this thread, it never hurts to ask, when I added 2 receivers last year(H24 non-DVR and Standard D12 Receiver) they gave me the HD receiver free and $40 discount on D12 Standard box with no install fee
And not so long ago they gave me a free Genie HR44 upgrade with no install charge also, at first I tried the regular CSR's but no dice they wanted reg price for the upgrade, then I hang up and tried retention dept and gave me a freebie upgrade, But not everybody gets the same result as billing payment history and years of service plays a factor, and also how many months you have left on your contract.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#56 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

Look, the reality is that Dish needs to turn a profit if they're going to stay in business.  Fees are one way they do that.  And those fees are directly related to customer costs.  I suppose they could do away with all their equipment and DVR fees, but then they'd have to charge higher package prices.  If you have a lot of receivers, maybe you'd end up ahead.  If you're like me and only have one, you'd end up subsidizing other customers.

None of us like paying money out.  If you can find a better deal somewhere else, go for it.  At the end of the day, complaining about prices only makes sense if it motivates you to action.  Downgrade your package, cancel your subscription, etc.  If you ultimately decide that the price you have to pay is low enough to make it worth buying the product or service, then your words and actions don't line up.

#57 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

It depends on the car manufacturer. Some cars have a single price or have a few "trim levels" or "packages". Some cars make almost every component optional. A few decades back, one of the manufacturers made the radio standard equipment, and they got sued by add-on radio makers, so not everyone agrees on what "should" be standard.

Some cars come with only a compact spare tire and sell a full size spare as an option. Some don't even come with a compact spare.

On my current car, halogen headlights were standard but for extra cost you could upgrade to HID. So, yes, there could be an extra fee for the headlights. :)

#58 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

You know the sad thing is when people were ticked about the whole AMC thing. This certain person would bash them and call the unloyal. He would pretty much call the people that watch The Walking Dead idiots. So now that he has a problem it's ok to bash Dish any chance he gets. Some people are such hypocrites. Now I know I will probably be scolded by a MOD but the funny thing is when this guy was bashing people for getting a free Ruku and calling people idiots for watching The Walking Dead no one said a word!

I have always wanted to come on this site to get help and ask a question. I don't really do that here because you will get pounced on by people and that's just sad.

• Inkosaurus likes this

#59 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

what fees are you referring to?

IIRC he had a DVR model that was not getting a DVR fee in the past, recently (i.e. 1 or 2 years ago) Dish added that DVR to the list of receivers that are charged correctly for there features. Dish then gave out credits to all of the customers affected by this change for a full year to offset the charge and ease them into the new bill.

Those credits recently went up and in addition to that he was also in an old grandfathered Annual plan that was removed 2 years ago and Dish finally decided to completely phase out that plan removing further credits he was receiving.

Over all its just a bunch of woe is me bs that is extremely annoying to see posted in every thread thats not related to it at all.

Anyway on topic, I agree with stewart. Everyone should be entitled to ask but thats about as far as that entitlement should go. If they say no then thats that.

Also 

I sometimes wonder if people realize what type of customer they really are.

Everybody thinks they are a AAA Number 1 best of the best customer. They lithely forget the months they paid late and other minor discrepancies - they had a good excuse, "It's not MY fault".

Then they want a company to give them a break, just because.

Well the bean counters remember the late payments and other little things that should not amount to anything, but they do paint a picture of your credibility, and it may not be as rosy as you think it is.

Why is it that some people get free upgrades every couple of years and others can't seem to get a break, maybe they have short or blurry memories, they are not as great of a customer as they think they are.

Dish has no reason to just be mean to you randomly, denying you a discounted upgrade because you belong to the wrong political party, or you part your hair on the wrong side.

To Dish you are just a number with a set of statistics attached which are used to evaluate your value as a customer. They spend a lot of time and effort working on these statistics and they are refining them daily.

That CSR did not tell you your upgrade would be $666 just because her shoes are too tight.

As a former employee of both Dish and Dtv I can confirm this is true. Not every customer is equal and not every customer deserves freebies. If you dont get any offers and CSR's flat out keep telling you no, its because you're not a great customer. Nothing more nothing less.

#60 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

If you dont get any offers and CSR's flat out keep telling you no, its because you're not a great customer. Nothing more nothing less.

Or you received free upgrades in the past so you're not able to get any offers unless your contract expires or thinking of canceling your account, but not because a customer is great or not, but paying bills on time does factor in offers,credits,discounts one can get.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...