Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Internet + TV Service

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Agree with PEDS....

Sateliite Internet Service is last option......     Cable company internet is often bundled if the company in the area is affiliated with Directv bundling.       DSL is kinda lousy especially if you are far away from the the main box.         Check out some of the 4g internet providers in the area.    Some have speeds well above DSL............         

Best of Luck,

SIG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

The 4G companies down here have really low data caps for a lot more than I'm paying for DSL.  They came out today and gave me a new wireless modem, and that has made things better.  They claim all the old sagecom 4300 modems are crap and they are swapping them out whenever they come out on a service call.  This is Windstream. BTW.  The tech also told me they are starting to install the new 12/24 DSL hardware, and they are installing the new system that uses multiple wire pairs to increase the distance you can go with the service.  He said in my case I would be able to get 2 6Mb signals on 2 pairs and the new modem would put it back together to make 12Mb, which will work quite a bit further than the distance I am from my subscriber card down the road.

So, things are looking up.

Thanks for listening and for the great advice!

Dave

Edited by mrdbdigital, 15 June 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

You may want to look into establishing a wifi link using a parabolic cantenna combo with a friendly neighbor within range who's got access to the 100 Mbs internet. Split the monthly bill.

#44 OFFLINE   MurphieNB

MurphieNB

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalado, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'm considering the purchase of piece of property that certainly does not have cable service, and while it does have DSL available, the phone company (CenturyLink) has already told me that the BEST they can offer for that address is only 1.5 Mbps.  So when they say that's the best they can offer, reality is that it will probably be half that!  That leaves satellite internet as my only option.  Aside from the data cap issues, which I do understand, are there any other real serious reasons not to consider satellite? 

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

I'm considering the purchase of piece of property that certainly does not have cable service, and while it does have DSL available, the phone company (CenturyLink) has already told me that the BEST they can offer for that address is only 1.5 Mbps. So when they say that's the best they can offer, reality is that it will probably be half that! That leaves satellite internet as my only option. Aside from the data cap issues, which I do understand, are there any other real serious reasons not to consider satellite?

If you like to play online multiplayer games on game consoles, you wont be able to do it with internet satellite due to its latency
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...