Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What would I need to change to SWiM

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   infoman

infoman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

If you're in the LA/OC area of Southern California I just picked up a SWM16 from a installer for $45 about a week ago. If you're in that area PM me and I'll give you his phone # he is located in Santa Ana.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

If you're in the LA/OC area of Southern California I just picked up a SWM16 from a installer for $45 about a week ago. If you're in that area PM me and I'll give you his phone # he is located in Santa Ana.

Thanks, but on the other coast.

#23 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

You will want the hr44 where every you watch the most TV, and work around that. Trust me on this' especially against a. HR21. Its not even a fair fight between the two. Sound wise I honestly can't say one is quieter than the other.

I guess I'm going in the attic to replace the switch anyway, might as well run the network drop while I am at it.  Hopefully next week will be as cool as this one was. 

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,673 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

I had to say, the wifi works great for me. Video On Demand to a DVR is far slower than the wifi signal it gets, so Miles's you have a slow wifi network you might not need to do that drop. Granted if its easy enough to do the drop, I'd do it to probably. But if its to hot, you cold always run wifi till its cool again!

#25 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Is the HR44 much noiser than the HR21?  I know that's an odd question, but I have a ethernet drop in my bedroom, so placing the HR44 there would be preferable to the living room with no drop.  Then I can move the HR22 from my bedroom to the living room and still access the programs from the HR44.  I know the HR44 has wifi, but would rather have a direct cable connection.     

You can get a broadband DECA on ebay for $9.50.  This works the same as a CCK.  Since you are converting to SWM, you already have two coax cables connected to the HR22 in your bedroom.  When you install the SWM, you can use one of those cables for the HR22 and the other to connect to the broadband DECA.  The only other thing that you will need is an available outlet to plug the broadband DECA into.  This will give you wired speed to all of your DVR's and allow you to put the HR-44 wherever you want.

Also, if you decide that you need a SWM-16, you can find a new one (including power inserter and and two 8-way spliiters) for $50 (including shipping).

#26 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

Since you are converting to SWM, you already have two coax cables connected to the HR22 in your bedroom.  When you install the SWM, you can use one of those cables for the HR22 and the other to connect to the broadband DECA.  The only other thing that you will need is an available outlet to plug the broadband DECA into.  This will give you wired speed to all of your DVR's and allow you to put the HR-44 wherever you want.

Okay, now I am confused.  I thought, one end of the Deca was plugged into your SWM16 and the other your receiver and the lan port, why would I need the other RG6 cable?  It will be SWM and the receiver would only need one cable, correct?  Or in order to use the DECA, you still need to use both RG6 cables, on port 1 the one connected directly to the SWM16 and the port 2 connected to the DECA which is connected to the SWM16? 

Edited by VABlitz, 25 June 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,673 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

He's talking about an additional deca to bridge the system to your home network and Internet not two lines to get the one unit hooked up.

#28 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

He's talking about an additional deca to bridge the system to your home network and Internet not two lines to get the one unit hooked up.

Ah that explains it.  I'll probably either run the Cat6, divert the existing one in my bedroom to the living room, or use the wifi of the HR44. Fishing the wall where my router sits is a PITA, so I may just divert the other end of the cable. 

I had to say, the wifi works great for me. Video On Demand to a DVR is far slower than the wifi signal it gets, so Miles's you have a slow wifi network you might not need to do that drop. Granted if its easy enough to do the drop, I'd do it to probably. But if its to hot, you cold always run wifi till its cool again!

I may indeed use the wifi.  The only thing I was worried about is how my internet browsing dies when I am steaming from one DVR to the other (especially HD), but once I install DECA that hopefully won't have to touch my router too much. 

Edited by VABlitz, 26 June 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

An update of my setup has been completed.  SWM16 installed with two four way splitters, four DVRs with DECA's installed, a Broadband DECA, and of course the power inserter.  Eventually I need to replace my RG6 with Solid Copper Core Cables.  Noticed all of them are Copper Clad Steel, but not having a problem with any of my current cables running SWM.  Longest cable run is 50ft, not counting the device cable from the outlet to back of the DVR.  Power Inserter and Living room receiver does not run through an outlet box (straight from the splitter in the attic to the device).   

I would like to thank everyone for helping this confused DIYer get this setup completed.

If the IRD port on the power inserter is unused, does it need a terminator?  I am currently running without one on it.   

Edited by VABlitz, 06 July 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,310 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

An update of my setup has been completed.  SWM16 installed with two four way splitters, four DVRs with DECA's installed, a Broadband DECA, and of course the power inserter.  Eventually I need to replace my RG6 with Solid Copper Core Cables.  Noticed all of them are Copper Clad Steel, but not having a problem with any of my current cables running SWM.  Longest cable run is 50ft, not counting the device cable from the outlet to back of the DVR.  Power Inserter and Living room receiver does not run through an outlet box (straight from the splitter in the attic to the device).   

I would like to thank everyone for helping this confused DIYer get this setup completed.

If the IRD port on the power inserter is unused, does it need a terminator?  I am currently running without one on it.   

There is no need to change you working CCS cables as there is no difference in RF signal loss when using either cable.  The only place it matters is the cable running the power to the LNB/switch and CCS is OK in short runs

The PI "signal to IRD" must be terminated if is not being used.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

There is no need to change you working CCS cables as there is no difference in RF signal loss when using either cable.  The only place it matters is the cable running the power to the LNB/switch and CCS is OK in short runs

The PI "signal to IRD" must be terminated if is not being used.

Plan to use the IRD in the future, but until then I will terminate it.  The cable upgrade is one of those things I always wanted to complete, as a few of them are a litte shorter than I would like them to be (cables in the attic are stretched to limits).  Also, a couple with lousy connectors I would like to replace.  But it is set in the future a bit.  I have a lot of other things I will be saving for before purchasing those items...and waiting for much cooler weather (Fall or winter project either next or the one after). 

spam firewall