Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Business is business, but really?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eblong

eblong

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

This was picked up from the Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph. I kind of understand the concept of DTV wanting back their equipment or charging the customer for it, but this is a bit too much. A homeowner who lost everything in the Black Forest fire herein Colorado Springs is being billed $400 for the equipment that wasinhis Ouse when it was burned down. Sure, the homeowner should get back the insurance cost - eventually, but that cold be Nyah's or even a year before that is worked out. In the meantime, they have,to fork over $400?

This is not a solvated incident. This happened during the Waldo Canyon fire last year as well. Here is the link to the article http://gazette.com/d...ustom_click=rss.

Come on DTV! Where's your heart? In your wallet?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

I've seen similar reports over the years from cable companies. Of course many times, once the press gets involved, the issue is resolved.

#3 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Having resided in Colorado Springs for several years during the 80s, I read the cited story in the Gazette as well.

As an 18-year subscriber, I frankly was surprised DirecTV displayed such an insensitive attitude in the midst of a tragedy and, moreover, would prove willing to tolerate the attendant negative publicity for a few hundred dollars (especially in the context of a possible billion dollar outlay for Hulu).

#4 OFFLINE   eblong

eblong

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

I posted it here because there are DirectTV people who scan this, and maybe they will see it and take action. As we watched live helicopter feeds of the fire, I saw several houses burning that had DirecTV antennas on their roofs. I hope he company does the right thing.

Edited by eblong, 14 June 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

If the homeowners insurance doesnt cover it, then they would have to pay for the receivers out of their pocket.  Isnt that the way it should be? 

#6 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

I would hope that at the very least, DTV would put any collection action on hold until all insurance claims could be completed.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

So some think DirecTV should just write off their equipment because of this? Do you also expect the mortgage companies to forgive the outstanding loans on the houses that burned down?

#8 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Even the mortgage companies must wait for the insurance company to pay up.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

First DirecTV does in fact help folks impacted by natural disasters

http://support.direc...tural-disasters

But in reality IMHO they don't have to, are you expecting your bank forgives your car loan because it burned down in the fire?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

I have been watching this very closely as I am only 20 miles from the fire.  Yes, the equipment is the responsibility of the customer and insurance will cover it but what I have an issue with is the claimed demand for payment NOW.  At the least they should wait for insurance to process the claims.  Hopefully if this is true it is just a misinformed CSR as DirecTVs own posted policy contradicts what is claimed to be happening Unfortunately even as a mistake by an employee it is very bad PR for DirecTV

My Setup

#11 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

The article has been updated to include a tweet from DirecTV with the page that peds48 linked to.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

That article has a few holes based on what most of us know as SOP for DIrectv....it looks more like  it was written by someone like Swanni.....

This happened 3 days ago, all he needs to do at this point is suspend his service...no fees, etc....if in 6 months he is not back in a position to get his service back up and running....again, its been 3 days, there shouldnt be any charges at all yet.....charges for non-returned equipment dont happen immediately....

#13 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Correct, they should be able to suspend the services for 6 month within a 12 yr period. Also I do not really see anything wrong with DirecTV asking you to file a homeowners insurance claim to get back the non return fees.

#14 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

What is interesting is here is the policy direct from the link given:

Does DIRECTV provide aid for customers impacted by natural disasters?

DIRECTV has policies in place to assist customers who are impacted by natural disasters, and we work with these customers to find a solution that best fits their needs. Options available include:

• Account cancellation - If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm, DIRECTV will cancel the account, and waive any fees associated with the inability to return equipment, along with any remaining agreement on the account.
  • Account suspension - For customers who are without power for an extended period, we offer to suspend their account until power and services can be restored.
  • No-cost service calls - If service can be restored at the customer's home, we will send a technician at no cost to ensure the dish is properly aligned and to fix any technical issues.
  • Equipment - For customers whose equipment was damaged in the storm, we offer to waive equipment replacement costs if they continue their DIRECTV service.

If you are a customer that has been affected, please contact 1-800-531-5000 so we can remedy your situation immediately.

As I read that they should not have to pay for the receivers in either case.

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

The same thing was said about customers affected by the tornadoes in Tuscaloosa, AL a few years ago.  WIthin 72 hours there were reports on news stations saying D* was charging all the customers for their receivers even before knowing if they were damaged.  It's just ludicrous to use a natural disaster as a way to have a PR bashing contest. Let's focus on taking care of the people involved!  Sad 'Merica, sad.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Anyone know if maybe this guy had cut service previously and hadn't sent the boxes back yet and now lost them and can't? I know that's a cynical way to look at it, but you have to wonder sometimes.

And I don't blame DIRECTV for wanting people to claim it on their insurance papers. You think car companies say eh, whatever I will forgive the lease on your leased car cause I don't want you to have to deal with insurance companies if its lost in a fire or storm? I'm not saying I agree with the timing that seems to be happening and the speed in which they moved, but I doubt we know all the details either. They should give people up to six months in cases with natural disasters where they have to go thought their insurance companies to get reimbursed.

#17 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

DirecTV is a buisness, they can't go writing off recievers on their balance sheet left and right, erm I mean only left lol, like that because of a natural disaster. That is more than they are willing to chew as they already took a lost selling you the reciever at a leased price lowered than the reciever is actually worth.

Edited by Volatility, 24 June 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

This is because unlike the car company, DirecTV gives "stuff" for free. When I leased my car I had 60 payments, the bank never say hey you have paid 50 installments on time, we are going to waive the next two. Since customers know that DirecTV have the power to not charge for "stuff" they take advantage of the loop hole.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,075 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

What if you have the protection plan with Directv. Isn't that Insurance?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#20 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

What if you have the protection plan with Directv. Isn't that Insurance?

Actually there is a version of the PP that covers accidental damage but I believe a natural disaster would go under "acts of God" and they would not cover it.

Edited by Volatility, 14 June 2013 - 06:06 PM.

spam firewall