Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Business is business, but really?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

This is because unlike the car company, DirecTV gives "stuff" for free. When I leased my car I had 60 payments, the bank never say hey you have paid 50 installments on time, we are going to waive the next two.

Directv doesn't give free stuff, They wouldn't take anything out of their pocket to please you.  If Directv couldn't afford it based on your credit and account status they wouldn't give it!

Also after I made 50 car payments on time every month my Credit score would reflect that, and more then likely I could get my next car with 0% intrest.  Directv doesn't do crap for your credit or anything to better your situation in the long run.  They only report bad credit ratings and put themselves into positions like this because of incompetent CSR's.  And by the way my car loan company does let you choose to waive 5 payments without penalty , Whether you choose to is up to you!Also my rate doesn't go up every year either.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

So some think DirecTV should just write off their equipment because of this?

Yes it wasnt the customers fault they lost the equiptment!!

#23 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

No now don't get me wrong. I don't think Directv should be SOL.
But they should understand that insurance takes time, and they shouldn't burden the customer over this.
Why piss off your customer? Don't you want him back?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#24 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

What if you have the protection plan with Directv. Isn't that Insurance?

PP is meant for faulty equipment, not destroyed equipment.  It does offer accidental handling such as spilling a glass of water on a receiver.  It doesn't, however, cover all 4 receivers in your house having water spilled on them at the same time.  It needs to be truly accidental.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#25 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

It wasn't D*'s fault either.  How are you deciding who should pay for it? 

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#26 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Directv doesn't give free stuff, They wouldn't take anything out of their pocket to please you. 

Yeah, they definitely do this on a daily basis.

#27 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Yeah, they definitely do this on a daily basis.

No! You pay for it!  If not you the Next guy does, and that's not Free!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#28 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

I sorta see what you are saying as their is no such thing as a free lunch. Like if a person gets a free reciever upgrade then when they deactivate that reciever and send it back, it may go to someone whom has to pay for the leased upgrade to recieve it. Like person A gets a HD DVR free then down the road cancels their service and has to send back the HD DVR. Person B wants to order a leased HD DVR but has to pay 199.00 for it and gets the reciever person A had had. So A got that same box for free B had to pay for. That is a valid point but I do not really agree with it as the first person didn't have to pay for it which means it was free for them.

Edited by Volatility, 14 June 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

What is interesting is here is the policy direct from the link given:

Does DIRECTV provide aid for customers impacted by natural disasters?

DIRECTV has policies in place to assist customers who are impacted by natural disasters, and we work with these customers to find a solution that best fits their needs. Options available include:

• Account cancellation - If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm, DIRECTV will cancel the account, and waive any fees associated with the inability to return equipment, along with any remaining agreement on the account.
  • Account suspension - For customers who are without power for an extended period, we offer to suspend their account until power and services can be restored.
  • No-cost service calls - If service can be restored at the customer's home, we will send a technician at no cost to ensure the dish is properly aligned and to fix any technical issues.
  • Equipment - For customers whose equipment was damaged in the storm, we offer to waive equipment replacement costs if they continue their DIRECTV service.

If you are a customer that has been affected, please contact 1-800-531-5000 so we can remedy your situation immediately.

As I read that they should not have to pay for the receivers in either case.

What is interesting is here is the policy direct from the link given:

Does DIRECTV provide aid for customers impacted by natural disasters?

DIRECTV has policies in place to assist customers who are impacted by natural disasters, and we work with these customers to find a solution that best fits their needs. Options available include:

• Account cancellation - If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm, DIRECTV will cancel the account, and waive any fees associated with the inability to return equipment, along with any remaining agreement on the account.
  • Account suspension - For customers who are without power for an extended period, we offer to suspend their account until power and services can be restored.
  • No-cost service calls - If service can be restored at the customer's home, we will send a technician at no cost to ensure the dish is properly aligned and to fix any technical issues.
  • Equipment - For customers whose equipment was damaged in the storm, we offer to waive equipment replacement costs if they continue their DIRECTV service.

If you are a customer that has been affected, please contact 1-800-531-5000 so we can remedy your situation immediately.

As I read that they should not have to pay for the receivers in either case.

Not as I read it; there's a condition that they continue service.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#30 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Not as I read it; there's a condition that they continue service.

Yes, and I think they  misread it too as it reads:

So if your reciever was damaged during a storm causing you to have to cancel the services, lets say financial reasons from this life event, they state they will waive fees associated with the reciever if you are NOT ABLE to return the reciever. If the reciever is damaged and you are able to return it then the nrf is going to be valid.

#31 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Then they do give stuff for free.  Free upgrades are given all the time.  This is mentioned all over the forum.  Everyone will pay for something, but that doesn't mean things aren't given for free. 

#32 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

It also wasn't the customer's fault that their house burned down, but I don't see anyone saying the banks should erase all outstanding mortgage payments.

It seems that DirecTV is being very generous in their disaster policies, but because of a CSR who provided the wrong information, the PR is pretty negative at this point.

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Actually there is a version of the PP that covers accidental damage but I believe a natural disaster would go under "acts of God" and they would not cover it.

Correct
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

The equipment is leased and if they have the protection plan, then DIRECTV IS TRYING TO SCREW THEM BY CHARGING FOR THE equipment

The PP does not cover "acts of God"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 907 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Penny wise, pound foolish.

It costs more for a cable-television provider to acquire a new customer than to keep an existing one.

This is not the way to keep a subscriber to continue with DirecTV.

#36 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

If you read the whole thread you can see that we had a misinformed CSR that is causing this PR nightmare for DirecTV.  Official company policy is to work with customers affected by natural disasters

My Setup

#37 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hmmm.... to me, it sounds like the guy was in the middle of a two-three year agreement, and saw the natural disaster as a way to get out of that contract, when what was offered was a suspension. And, this was probably before a policy change was announced to the team for special handling. 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#38 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

There was no policy change. We had friends impacted by the Joplin MO tornado two years ago and DirecTV had this policy then.

#39 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

Actually there is a version of the PP that covers accidental damage but I believe a natural disaster would go under "acts of God" and they would not cover it.

Have had 3 owned receivers and a dish replaced under the PP due to a near miss of a lighting strike, unless that bolt was thrown by Percy Jackson it was an act of god

#40 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

If the homeowners insurance doesnt cover it, then they would have to pay for the receivers out of their pocket.  Isnt that the way it should be? 

No.  Not at all.  AAMOF DIRECTV already has a policy for this (Link).

Account cancellation - If service cannot be restored at your home due to the damage from a natural disaster, we will cancel your account, and waive any fees associated with the inability to return equipment, along with any remaining agreement on the account.

The CSR was obviously not aware of this policy.  However, it's supposed to an area that is declared a disaster area; which it has been by the State of Colorado.

IMHO, this should qualify under DIRECTV's natural disaster policy.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall