Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Business is business, but really?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

Right, and even less to do with spirituality.

Force majeur is another good one. Usually, both are defined in the documentation of the insurance or loan. 

And yet, the claims agent I spoke to couldn't give me one instance of it.  I still think it's a ploy.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

I live in Colorado (outside of Denver, nowhere near any fires) and just last week my wife asked the question "What would you take if we had to evacuate?"  She jokingly added "You'd probably take the satellite receivers."  I denied it and just said we'd take as much of the unreplaceable stuff we could.

Then this bruhaha happens, and my wife tells me about it with outrage in her voice.  I told her about the mistake and how DirecTV has policies about how to really handle it.  Then I added "But just in case, I change my answer.  I WILL grab the receivers if we ever have to evacuate!".

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#53 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

This comes up literally every time there is some big disaster. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE HOMEOWNERS OR RENTERS INSURANCE. This happens all the time with individual house fires or burglaries, but they don't get publicized. This is a big event, a reporter needs a story to file, so let's show how evil the big corporations are. In reality if you call and escalate you can get collections put off, accounts put on hold, and in many cases you can just get it waived completely. If not you file it on your insurance and pay DirecTV for their equipment you lost.

The bank isn't going to write off your mortgage because your house is gone, why would any other company be expected to act differently? 

#54 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yes, the equipment is the responsibility of the customer and insurance will cover it but what I have an issue with is the claimed demand for payment NOW.  At the least they should wait for insurance to process the claims. 

Where in the article does it say that DirecTV is asking for an immediate payment?  Unless the article has been changed between the time that you and I read it, it appears that you have an issue with something that hasn't been reported.

#55 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have a question about how insurance is paid out after a total loss.  Do the homeowners have to document all their items or is their a lump-sum based on their policy?

In other words, is the homeowner going to get the same amount regardless of whether DirecTV collects their non-returned equipment fee or whether they waive it?

#56 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I got your point. Nothing that changes my mind.

Rich

It was not made to change your mind. more like to inform other folks of the issue
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#57 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

The bank isn't going to write off your mortgage because your house is gone, why would any other company be expected to act differently?

EXACTLY. why then have insurance if you can "pity" the bank to get the mortgage waived.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#58 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,297 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

DirecTV has a stated natural disaster policy. If the policy is to write off equipment losses from a declared disaster, then that's what needs to happen every time, and all csr's should know the policy. It gets worked out in the end, but the customer shouldn't have to go through hoops to get that.

#59 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

I thought the end of the article was a little vague.  It says he was given the information and got upset and hung up.  I take it he then got in touch with someone to express his position of the interaction so it could be posted online.  I wonder if any of the facts were modified by him out of spite.  Hopefully not but D* has plenty of ways to make sure he's not paying out money he needs after a disaster like this.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

I have a question about how insurance is paid out after a total loss.  Do the homeowners have to document all their items or is their a lump-sum based on their policy?

In other words, is the homeowner going to get the same amount regardless of whether DirecTV collects their non-returned equipment fee or whether they waive it?

I get a lump sum.  Liberty Mutual.

Rich

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

It was not made to change your mind. more like to inform other folks of the issue

A lot of insurance companies tried that "Act of God" nonsense after Sandy hit.  That was abruptly stopped.  Our Governor (yeah, I know he's fat, but he's effective and was a prosecutor prior to election) and Mayor Bloomberg, no matter how much you may dislike him, put the hammer to the insurance companies.  And, yes, the President helped too.

Rich 

#62 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

A lot of insurance companies tried that "Act of God" nonsense after Sandy hit.  That was abruptly stopped.  Our Governor (yeah, I know he's fat, but he's effective and was a prosecutor prior to election) and Mayor Bloomberg, no matter how much you may dislike him, put the hammer to the insurance companies.  And, yes, the President helped too.

Rich 

"Act of God" is a legal term that covers all natural disasters that could not be avoided or prevented through reasonable care or foresight.  If you ask a non-lawyer what it means, especially a CSR, they won't know.  I asked my lawyer.  It actually can be defined by local statutes and can vary from place to place.

Your homeowner's and flood insurance policies specifically protect the things you own from most "Acts of God".  A comprehensive car insurance policy also protects you from "Acts of God."  Note that homeowner's insurance doesn't cover flooding, and flood insurance only covers flooding.  You have to read the fine print.

The "Act of God" usually makes most rental agreements null and void, either because it's stated that way in the contract or it's the law in your area.  Since you don't own the D* equipment, your insurance probably doesn't cover it.  Which is OK.  The owner of the item is responsible for its insurance.  D* either has a comprehensive insurance policy and will file a claim to replace their lost equipment, or they are "self-insured" which means they just eat the cost.

Edited by bobcamp1, 18 June 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#63 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Bob, are you a lawyer? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#64 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Bob, are you a lawyer? 

Nope, I've just been in too many lawsuits.  I don't go looking for them, they just find me.  Two patent lawsuits + one nasty one against a cable company + two other small claims cases.  Luckily, I have friends and family members who are lawyers so I can ask them questions like this without getting a $500 bill.  I didn't know what "an Act of God" was either until I asked them.  It's in a lot of the fine print that we all have to sign.  I try to read and understand it as much as I can.

Basically, if you're the owner of something, you have ultimate responsibility for it.  If you let your friend borrow something, and it happens to break while they're using it, you don't sue them.  You just buy a new one and eat the cost.  But If they misuse it and break it, then it's their fault.  But if it gets stolen from their locked house, or their house burns down or gets flooded and your item is destroyed, whose insurance pays for your item?  Yours does.  

The OP's homeowner's insurance will NOT pay for the receiver since he didn't own it.  That's why it's called homeowner's insurance.  And since he didn't willfully damage it, D* most likely can't bill him for it.  That's why it's D*'s policy to just cancel the contract and eat the cost of the equipment.  D* and other companies have a lot of "policies" that are actually existing laws and rights that consumers have.  It isn't like they can have a different "policy" (well, legally anyway).  I know this unfortunately from my cable company lawsuit a long time ago.

Edited by bobcamp1, 19 June 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

"Act of God" is a legal term that covers all natural disasters that could not be avoided or prevented through reasonable care or foresight.  If you ask a non-lawyer what it means, especially a CSR, they won't know.  I asked my lawyer.  It actually can be defined by local statutes and can vary from place to place.

Your homeowner's and flood insurance policies specifically protect the things you own from most "Acts of God".  A comprehensive car insurance policy also protects you from "Acts of God."  Note that homeowner's insurance doesn't cover flooding, and flood insurance only covers flooding.  You have to read the fine print.

The "Act of God" usually makes most rental agreements null and void, either because it's stated that way in the contract or it's the law in your area.  Since you don't own the D* equipment, your insurance probably doesn't cover it.  Which is OK.  The owner of the item is responsible for its insurance.  D* either has a comprehensive insurance policy and will file a claim to replace their lost equipment, or they are "self-insured" which means they just eat the cost.

What upset me about being told my problem was an act of God was that before I transferred my homeowners insurance to Liberty Mutual, I asked about the trees over the power lines and also asked about flooding in my house.  I only live a block or so from the Raritan River and have had problems in the past.  My Liberty Mutual policy covers that now because of the 3 "Super Sump Pumps" I have installed to take care of the basement flooding.  Now, if the pumps can't handle the water, everything is covered.  I used to have All State as a carrier, but they don't come close to Liberty Mutual for coverage, especially on the sump pumps.

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   kenw102

kenw102

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

"Act of God" is not a legal term...that is a misnomer...check it out in the search engine of your choice.

#67 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

"Act of God" is not a legal term...that is a misnomer...check it out in the search engine of your choice.

Have you legal training? How 'bout the asserter—you—backing up your assertion instead of telling other to effin' google it. 

#68 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,659 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:43 AM

I think context of act of god is very important.

#69 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

Why can't Directv just waive the non return fee instead of relying on the homeowners insurance, it might take a while for the claim process to begin with knowingly with a disaster of this magnitude, and if the homeowner don't have insurance then what? Too bad let them suffer? What does Directv has to lost in this case besides the receiver? If they did the acceptable thing and help the customer then the media won't have to get involved.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#70 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Why can't Directv just waive the non return fee instead of relying on the homeowners insurance, it might take a while for the claim process to begin with knowingly with a disaster of this magnitude, and if the homeowner don't have insurance then what? Too bad let them suffer? What does Directv has to lost in this case besides the receiver? If they did the acceptable thing and help the customer then the media won't have to get involved.

You might want to go back and read this thread. And if not, at least posts # 9 and 14.

#71 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Just to be clear and so everyone doesn't keep asking why doesn't DIRECTV do something about this, check out the following link.

http://support.direc...tural-disasters

This link was also quoted in the following post...

http://www.dbstalk.c...44#entry3146844

Further there is a follow up article in which DIRECTV has apologized to the homeowner.

http://gazette.com/d...article/1502319

To summarize, DIRECTV already has a policy in place for natural disasters in which the subscriber will owe nothing and has to return nothing.  Their policy states that if it's a declared disaster area the policy applies.  And, it has been declared.

http://www.fema.gov/disaster/5027

I suggest that anyone posting should read the whole thread first...at least search it.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#72 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

That's what happens when I don't read some of the post on this thread sorry, but they should inform better some CSR's that don't know about this policy, they should have training sessions for this purpose especially newly hired reps. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by acostapimps, 23 June 2013 - 10:30 AM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#73 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Have you legal training? How 'bout the asserter—you—backing up your assertion instead of telling other to effin' google it.

In all fairness he said to use the "search engine of your choice" :rolling:
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#74 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

That's what happens when I don't read some of the post on this thread sorry, but they should inform better some CSR's that don't know about this policy, they should have training sessions for this purpose especially newly hired reps. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

You are absolutely correct.  The CSRs should be better informed.  I know this doesn't come up for the vast majority of CSRs will never come across this problem but, IMHO, if DIRECTV is paying attention when something like this is happening they should remind all them of the policy...an email, staff meeting, or how ever they pass info to their employees.

Mike

• damondlt likes this

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#75 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

In all fairness he said to use the "search engine of your choice" :rolling:

Indeed he did. But it was in effect saying "effing google it", "google" being here generic for a search engine.... :roundandr 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...