Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Business is business, but really?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Actually there is a version of the PP that covers accidental damage but I believe a natural disaster would go under "acts of God" and they would not cover it.

I just got thru with a huge argument with my home insurer.  When Sandy hit (could have been the storm before it, not sure) my meter pan began flashing across the stabs and I had to put a new electrical panel in my house quickly, before the house burned down.  Cost a bit less than 5 grand.  After the installation I called my insurer and was told it was an act of God.  Called back a few days later and got the same answer.  OK, losing 5 grand isn't that big a deal with me, but it really aggravated me.  

I waited and waited for them to ask me for something and it finally happened a couple months ago.  They wanted me to put my car insurance under them.  Called them up and asked if every accident was considered an act of God and told them to shove the car insurance idea.  They just kept sending them and we got the house insurance renewal.  I called up to tell them we'd be going with another carrier and quickly got transferred to their Claims department.  First question I asked was, "are you religious?" and the CSR said she was.  I then explained what had happened and was told that was ridiculous.  Not according to your people, 2 of them told me it was an act of God.  She explained how things work with home insurance and there really isn't much that's called an act of God.  Had my 5 grand back within a week.

Think about this: If you believe in God, how can anything not be an act of God?

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

No! You pay for it!  If not you the Next guy does, and that's not Free!

Unfortunately "free" has lost it's meaning.  Free means unencumbered by anything.  

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

The PP does not cover "acts of God"

What do you think "act of God" means?  My insurer sure wasn't positive about the meaning.  

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

If you read the whole thread you can see that we had a misinformed CSR that is causing this PR nightmare for DirecTV.  Official company policy is to work with customers affected by natural disasters

That's exactly what caused my problem with my insurer.

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Have had 3 owned receivers and a dish replaced under the PP due to a near miss of a lighting strike, unless that bolt was thrown by Percy Jackson it was an act of god

No, it was a difference in potential that caused the lightning strike.  Every lightning strike is caused by that.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,629 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

What do you think "act of God" means? My insurer sure wasn't positive about the meaning.

Rich

This has nothing to do with religion, it is just a legal term.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Act_of_God
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

This has nothing to do with religion, it is just a legal term.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Act_of_God

That's a pretty ambiguous article.  I think it's just used as a ploy for insurance companies to get out of paying when disasters hit.  My father was an insurance agent for many years and I know the company he worked for used it every chance they got.    

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

That's a pretty ambiguous article. I think it's just used as a ploy for insurance companies to get out of paying when disasters hit. My father was an insurance agent for many years and I know the company he worked for used it every chance they got.

Rich

Point was that it has nothing to do with religion
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Right, and even less to do with spirituality.

Force majeur is another good one. Usually, both are defined in the documentation of the insurance or loan. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

I got your point.  Nothing that changes my mind.

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

Right, and even less to do with spirituality.

Force majeur is another good one. Usually, both are defined in the documentation of the insurance or loan. 

And yet, the claims agent I spoke to couldn't give me one instance of it.  I still think it's a ploy.

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 308 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

I live in Colorado (outside of Denver, nowhere near any fires) and just last week my wife asked the question "What would you take if we had to evacuate?"  She jokingly added "You'd probably take the satellite receivers."  I denied it and just said we'd take as much of the unreplaceable stuff we could.

Then this bruhaha happens, and my wife tells me about it with outrage in her voice.  I told her about the mistake and how DirecTV has policies about how to really handle it.  Then I added "But just in case, I change my answer.  I WILL grab the receivers if we ever have to evacuate!".

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#53 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

This comes up literally every time there is some big disaster. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE HOMEOWNERS OR RENTERS INSURANCE. This happens all the time with individual house fires or burglaries, but they don't get publicized. This is a big event, a reporter needs a story to file, so let's show how evil the big corporations are. In reality if you call and escalate you can get collections put off, accounts put on hold, and in many cases you can just get it waived completely. If not you file it on your insurance and pay DirecTV for their equipment you lost.

The bank isn't going to write off your mortgage because your house is gone, why would any other company be expected to act differently? 

#54 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yes, the equipment is the responsibility of the customer and insurance will cover it but what I have an issue with is the claimed demand for payment NOW.  At the least they should wait for insurance to process the claims. 

Where in the article does it say that DirecTV is asking for an immediate payment?  Unless the article has been changed between the time that you and I read it, it appears that you have an issue with something that hasn't been reported.

#55 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have a question about how insurance is paid out after a total loss.  Do the homeowners have to document all their items or is their a lump-sum based on their policy?

In other words, is the homeowner going to get the same amount regardless of whether DirecTV collects their non-returned equipment fee or whether they waive it?

#56 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I got your point. Nothing that changes my mind.

Rich

It was not made to change your mind. more like to inform other folks of the issue
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#57 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

The bank isn't going to write off your mortgage because your house is gone, why would any other company be expected to act differently?

EXACTLY. why then have insurance if you can "pity" the bank to get the mortgage waived.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#58 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,883 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

DirecTV has a stated natural disaster policy. If the policy is to write off equipment losses from a declared disaster, then that's what needs to happen every time, and all csr's should know the policy. It gets worked out in the end, but the customer shouldn't have to go through hoops to get that.

#59 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

I thought the end of the article was a little vague.  It says he was given the information and got upset and hung up.  I take it he then got in touch with someone to express his position of the interaction so it could be posted online.  I wonder if any of the facts were modified by him out of spite.  Hopefully not but D* has plenty of ways to make sure he's not paying out money he needs after a disaster like this.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

I have a question about how insurance is paid out after a total loss.  Do the homeowners have to document all their items or is their a lump-sum based on their policy?

In other words, is the homeowner going to get the same amount regardless of whether DirecTV collects their non-returned equipment fee or whether they waive it?

I get a lump sum.  Liberty Mutual.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...