Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Proper way to adjust Slimline 5LNB Dish

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jostarr

jostarr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

If you read my earlier post concerning the power outage from yesterday's high wind storm, my conclusion is that the dish got moved a bit from the high winds in the storm and needs minor re-adjusting. The dish is on a pole about 80 feet from my house. I installed it so long ago, I have forgotten what I did to set the dish up.

I believe I used an HD H21-100 and a 17" HDTV to fine tune the dish using the signal strength levels and audio levels. But, I have forgotten the hook up from dsih to the receiver. Seems to me I had to take off the LNB bar, remove one wire going back to the SWM-8 switch at the house. Then, connect a short coax jumber from the vacant LNB port, reassemble the LNB assembly to the dish, and connect the other end of the coax to the receiver. (No BBC required....right?)

Then, I should only have to rotate the dish on the pole a small amount to restore aliognment. Hopefuly, the azimuth and skew were not affected by the high winds.

Can someone please confirm that what I propose in paragraph 2 is correct?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

If you want to verify your HD channel reception, you'll need a BBC. You should consider disconnecting all outputs of the LNB or at least ensure that the SWM-8 isn't powered up.

Before you start tweaking anything, check the pole for plumb. If it is no longer plumb, you're going to have a bit of an uphill battle getting things dialed in.

Note that azimuth is the parameter that is impacted by rotating the mount on the pole. Elevation and tilt (DIRECTV's term for skew) are the parameters you were thinking of.

While you're at it, you should also consider using a permanent marker to mark the alignment of the sleeve and pole once you get it dialed in.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,237 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

You are correct except I would use a BBC so you can check all satellites.  As Harsh said, azimuth is what you are adjusting by rotating it on the pole and that is what is most likely off. I would unplug the SWM8, not because it would have any effect on what you are doing but you could short something out with the loose wire.  Checking the pole for plumb is not a bad idea but it is very doubtful high winds would have affected that unless there was debris blowing around

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...