Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wiring for HR44 install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

My current HR22 is barely alive these days, so I was going to try to upgrade to the new Genie HR44.  Right now I only have the HR22 in the living room and an H24 in the upstairs bonus room.  I've posted a pic of the my layout below.  Will I need to add any more cable runs or other equipment if I can manage to get an HR44 and on of the genie mini clients?

d_layout_zps71b5a2e9.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked already, I tried searching and couldn't find it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Are you adding the HR44 as an additional room or are you replacing an existing receiver? From your layout I would replace the first 4 way with a 2 way splitter
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

You're good if you intend to replace the HR22 with the HR44 and replace the H24 with the mini client. The DECA near the HR22 would no longer be needed.

#4 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Are you adding the HR44 as an additional room or are you replacing an existing receiver? From your layout I would replace the first 4 way with a 2 way splitter

The tech didn't have any 2-ways so he had to use the 4-way.  Any advantage  to be gained by using the 2 over the 4?

You're good if you intend to replace the HR22 with the HR44 and replace the H24 with the mini client. The DECA near the HR22 would no longer be needed.

That is the plan.  Thanks for the info

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

You get a stronger signal through the 2-way, but in many cases it doesn't matter.
  • lucky13 likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm getting an HR44 installed on Monday (I have it in hand), and an old HR20 replaced (with whatever's on the truck).
My preference would be to connect the 44 and 3 older DVRs to the 65" Sammy in my theater room. (I have 3 other HRs in other rooms. For those doing the math, one HR2x will be set to one receiver.)
The Sammy has 3 HDMI inputs. Can I use an HDMI switch to connect 2 DVRs to one input without having content-protection problems?

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm getting an HR44 installed on Monday (I have it in hand), and an old HR20 replaced (with whatever's on the truck).
My preference would be to connect the 44 and 3 older DVRs to the 65" Sammy in my theater room. (I have 3 other HRs in other rooms. For those doing the math, one HR2x will be set to one receiver.)
The Sammy has 3 HDMI inputs. Can I use an HDMI switch to connect 2 DVRs to one input without having content-protection problems?

Sure, you just have to get the right HDMI switch. Power HDMI switches tend to be better when it comes to HDCP then passive ones. Www.monoprice.com is a good source
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Sure, you just have to get the right HDMI switch. Power HDMI switches tend to be better when it comes to HDCP then passive ones. Www.monoprice.com is a good source

Thanks!

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Do you have whole home service now? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Do you have whole home service now?

Not sure if you're asking me or the OP.
I have WH, DECA modules at each box.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Was asking you, but since you've got it, and know what you're doing, suggesting you could use WH to connect the other unit seems a bit, uh, superfluous! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Was asking you, but since you've got it, and know what you're doing, suggesting you could use WH to connect the other unit seems a bit, uh, superfluous!

It's more for the convenience of being able to see the service menus of more HRs in one location. Plus I can better fit them and several eSATAs on the equipment stand in that room.

Thanks.

spam firewall