Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Urgent HR44 wiring question

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rtcage

rtcage

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

DTV install tech is saying that HR44 cannot take straight cat 5 to the box if we are feeding the clients with coax.  he says that we have to go deca.  Is that true?  I ask because I want to try to go Cat 5 to my RVU samsung TV and I cant see how that would work if the HR44 is feeding off of coax.  I only know a little about this stuff so forgive me if I am botching the description

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

You can indeed connect the HR44 with Ethernet, but connecting with coax will not prevent the tv to access the smart features

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   rtcage

rtcage

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

You can indeed connect the HR44 with Ethernet, but connecting with coax will not prevent the tv to access the smart features

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

So ethernet to the HR44 without deca will allow clients to get internet through coax?

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yes
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   rquick

rquick

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

If you already have DECA on your coax for the clients, then the HR44 is also going to use that DECA for its network connection. What additional benefit would there be to connecting Cat5 to the HR44? You can hook up your other equipment, like the tv, any way you want to.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

The tech is 100% wrong. The HR44 is designed to connect directly with ethernet, or use wi-fi. One of the design goals was the elimination of the broadband DECA.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Where you asking him to run an Ethernet cable all the way to your Samsung tv or something? No reason not to use the hr44 ethnet port as the bridge to the network.

#8 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

These are probably pretty common errors too. For the longest time it was one coax per tuner. Then SWiM came along and it changed to one coax per box. Then the built in DECA came along in the 24 series and using ethernet at the same time was a definite no-no. Then Genie came along and made it OK. It can be tricky to keep it all straight.

#9 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

These are probably pretty common errors too. For the longest time it was one coax per tuner. Then SWiM came along and it changed to one coax per box. Then the built in DECA came along in the 24 series and using ethernet at the same time was a definite no-no. Then Genie came along and made it OK. It can be tricky to keep it all straight.

Indeed but when you're the technician doing the install, you should know all of this.  Especially when you summed it up that quickly.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Indeed but when you're the technician doing the install, you should know all of this. Especially when you summed it up that quickly.

Right on! Is like being an electrician and not being up to date on the NECs, although those can be remind by the inspectors...
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 ONLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Well said

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24

2 x C41

3 x RVU
SWM3-LNB

#12 OFFLINE   rtcage

rtcage

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Interesting.  The tech said that direct ethernet to the HR44 would disable the internet feed through coax.  He even got one of his inside phone techs to confirm.  Bottom line, he went deca and everything else feeds with coax.  

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

That is the way everything before genie worked. Not anymore. Training is still behind on the genies evidently.

#14 OFFLINE   Rosco

Rosco

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

So would it be wrong to have both a CCK kit on the SWM system for the HRxx and an Ethernet connection to the Internet on the Genie? Just installed a Genie on my system, whole home works fine, and I used a CCK kit for the SWM. I haven't tried the Internet on it, but dtv's website says it isn't connected.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

So would it be wrong to have both a CCK kit on the SWM system for the HRxx and an Ethernet connection to the Internet on the Genie? Just installed a Genie on my system, whole home works fine, and I used a CCK kit for the SWM. I haven't tried the Internet on it, but dtv's website says it isn't connected.

you can use either but never both.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

So would it be wrong to have both a CCK kit on the SWM system for the HRxx and an Ethernet connection to the Internet on the Genie? 

The Genie is a bridge.   You could use the ethernet port to connect to the TV, and another CCK in a different location that gets internet to the Genie.  

What you don't want to do is hook both the Genie's ethernet port and the CCK to the same router (directly or indirectly).  You don't want to make a racetrack for your packets to do laps on.  :) 

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Completely agree. If you want to stay with the CCK, it's all good but don't also connect the Genie DVR via ethernet.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   Rosco

Rosco

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Ok, the tv apps are working and I can down load a movie from showtime and it has an I/P address. So I guess the website is incorrect in saying it is not connected to the Internet under the my equipment tab.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

Ok, the tv apps are working and I can down load a movie from showtime and it has an I/P address. So I guess the website is incorrect in saying it is not connected to the Internet under the my equipment tab.

yep.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   cmock

cmock

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I was told the same thing by a DTV install tech just yesterday.  He came out to upgrade our system to the Genie HR44.  I left specific instructions for an ethernet hookup vs. wireless.  He called me at work to tell me he could only go with wireless and made it a point to make sure that I understood that if I plugged the ethernet cable in that I would lose the whole home sharing on all the other mini genies (as well as the other DVR we left in place) and have to call DTV to come back out and resolve.  I would much rather use the wired connection as the genie didnt like my wireless password and I have a weak wireless connection.  I am a little confused, but it looks like from comments here I can use a wired connection with no issues if I reboot the main unit with an ethernet cable plugged in and wireless disabled.

Is everyone here getting the new mini remote with the HR44?  If so looks like I need to call DTV as the tech didnt leave them or give the option.  All the old remotes were left.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...