Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Urgent HR44 wiring question

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

You can use the wired connection with no issues. I see the training is still lacking in regards to Genies. Regarding the remotes I dont know what the policy is with upgrades to the HR44 but if you want RF remote access you will need the new remote as they changed the RF communication technology. The old remotes only work with the HR44 in IR mode. The good thing is the HR44 will accept RF and IR at the same time
  • BrettRyan likes this
My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Easiest way to think of this is as two lines...one being the DirecTV coaxial network and the other being your home LAN:
post-451904-0-65027600-1373404957.jpg

SOMETHING needs to connect them if you are going to use the LAN for downloads of PPVs/On Demand or to attach a RVU capable TV. They can be bridged by a Cinema Connection Kit, OR by a Genie class DVR (HR34 or HR44).

post-451904-0-26155800-1373405383.jpg
Once bridged, you can have devices attached to either one. HR24s can not do the bridge trick, they support EITHER an ethernet connection OR a coax based MOCA (aka DECA) connection, not both.

post-451904-0-68404400-1373465541.jpg

In the case of the HR44, and the Wireless CCK, the connection to the home LAN can be wireless without any other equipment. It should also be noted that connecting a DirecTV receiver (other than a Genie acting as a bridge) directly to the LAN is not supported by DirecTV for the purposes of Whole Home DVR service. Also, the DirecTV supported method of attaching a RVU TV is via coax and a DECA, although a hard wired LAN connection has not been reported to cause any problems.  Unsupported connections are shown as dotted lines in the digram above.

Attached Thumbnails

• TwoNets.jpg
  • BridgeNets.jpg
  • Final.jpg

• Vin and kevinwmsn like this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#23 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

My question is based on Diana's last graphic above.

I am getting the HR 44 installed tomorrow so I want to make sure its hooked up correctly.

I already have SWM system, Whole home and Cinema Connection Kit, but they are going to need to switch out my 8 for a 16 due to number of tuners being 9.

Equipment:

The way I think it should be done but please correct me or clarify if I got it wrong.  I probably will ask a question as I go also.

1. HR-44 to Entertainment Center Samsung RVU (HDMI)  I currently have HDMI but Cat6 connected separately. Looks like I just remove separate Cat 6. 

2. C41 to Library this also is a Samsung RVU (HDMI).   I am currently using the HR24 there and I put a DECA and run the Ethernet Cable directly to TV.  (What will be correct hookup?)  I do not think I need a mini here even though I ordered one.  Should I DumpC41 and just run the Coax to TV.  I do not have separate Ethernet cable pulled there. 

3.  HR24 to Kitchen with HDMI hookup.

4.  C41 to Bedroom with HDMI hookup

5.  HR23 to deck with DECA and HDMI hookup.

Thanks for looking, I may just switch the deck setup to the C41 and move the HR23 to my Garage/Shop and just add an extra mirror charge.

#24 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Couple of comments:

On point 1, the HR44 connected to the local TV via HDMI is correct (no reason to use RVU if the receiver is right there).  You'd probably want to leave the Cat6 in this case, assuming you use the TV's Smart TV features.  The HR44 won't deliver Ethernet over HDMI (although that would be a cool future feature for the Genie and TVs that support it).

On point 2, while you don't NEED the C41 if your RVU TV is supported, I've heard that the Samsung RVU client is much slower than the DirecTV clients.  It will "work" either way, but I think the C41 would provide a better user experience.  If you go with the built-in RVU, then you'll need a DECA there to convert the coax to ethernet for the TV.  The advantage of going without the C41 is that you'd get Smart TV features working on that TV.  To do that with a C41, you'd need to split the coax, running one feed to the C41 and one to the DECA and then Ethernet to the TV.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#25 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

My question is based on Diana's last graphic above.

I am getting the HR 44 installed tomorrow so I want to make sure its hooked up correctly.

I already have SWM system, Whole home and Cinema Connection Kit, but they are going to need to switch out my 8 for a 16 due to number of tuners being 9.

Equipment:

The way I think it should be done but please correct me or clarify if I got it wrong.  I probably will ask a question as I go also.

1. HR-44 to Entertainment Center Samsung RVU (HDMI)  I currently have HDMI but Cat6 connected separately. Looks like I just remove separate Cat 6. 

2. C41 to Library this also is a Samsung RVU (HDMI).   I am currently using the HR24 there and I put a DECA and run the Ethernet Cable directly to TV.  (What will be correct hookup?)  I do not think I need a mini here even though I ordered one.  Should I DumpC41 and just run the Coax to TV.  I do not have separate Ethernet cable pulled there. 

3.  HR24 to Kitchen with HDMI hookup.

4.  C41 to Bedroom with HDMI hookup

5.  HR23 to deck with DECA and HDMI hookup.

Thanks for looking, I may just switch the deck setup to the C41 and move the HR23 to my Garage/Shop and just add an extra mirror charge.

When you're saying HDMI, you really mean Coax, right?

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

When you're saying HDMI, you really mean Coax, right?

I would assume he means HDMI as an interconnect 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yes, I mean't that my HDMI cables are currently from all the HRxx and Hxx listed in my Post..  I then added the (Proposed) new equipment mainly the Genie and mini-genies  with my new setups. I am moving locations, but keeping my owned HR24 and HR23, so  I will have 3 HR units and two Mini-Genies.  So 9 tuners altogether.  

I do not know that I going to directly connect the other RVU tv with Coax, but I am going to try it before the tech LEAVES AND MAKE MY DECISION whether to use the C41 as Diana C said it can be slow,  But with the Install in the morning, I am trying to make sure I get the best quality picture and features available before the Installer leaves.  And if he calls and tells me he has got a brand new HR34 to install, I will have to reschedule, cause something just came up.  But from some of the (MASTEC) installers locally I've talked with they told me they are only installing HR44's now.  So thanks and if you got any more questions or suggestions slam em at me NOW!!! 

#28 OFFLINE   RCVJMV

RCVJMV

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

I put in an Genie HR44 myself. Hooked up my Cat5 to the Genie. My HR24 says internet through the coax, and it works fine. Also hooked Cat5 up to an old HR21. It works fine also. I can see all DVR's on the other ones, no problems. (yet)

What I cannot get done is to have my Harmony 1100 control the new HR44. The IR commands are just not seen. I tried teaching it with a white DirecTV controller. Nothing. The white one will control it, the new RC71 controls it but not the Harmony... :icon_cool

#29 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

I put in an Genie HR44 myself. Hooked up my Cat5 to the Genie. My HR24 says internet through the coax, and it works fine. Also hooked Cat5 up to an old HR21. It works fine also. I can see all DVR's on the other ones, no problems. (yet)

What I cannot get done is to have my Harmony 1100 control the new HR44. The IR commands are just not seen. I tried teaching it with a white DirecTV controller. Nothing. The white one will control it, the new RC71 controls it but not the Harmony... :icon_cool

I hope you put in a bsf or are using a deca on the HR21.

A for the remote, that's weird, haven't seen anyone with that issue. You have tried learning it from a remote that it does work with and you get nothing? Have you tried with the rc71?

#30 OFFLINE   RCVJMV

RCVJMV

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

I hope you put in a bsf or are using a deca on the HR21.

A for the remote, that's weird, haven't seen anyone with that issue. You have tried learning it from a remote that it does work with and you get nothing? Have you tried with the rc71?

According to the table on Satpro website, a DECA is required but not a bsf.... I had seen other places that though it is not supported by DirecTV others have hooked a Cat5, (no DECA) and it works. That is what I did and just posted it for information. Do you anticipate other problems with that seup? Everything seems to be working fine.

I did try to teach the Harmony from the other control...did not work

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

According to the table on Satpro website, a DECA is required but not a bsf....

a DECA has a BSF "built in"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

According to the table on Satpro website, a DECA is required but not a bsf.... I had seen other places that though it is not supported by DirecTV others have hooked a Cat5, (no DECA) and it works. That is what I did and just posted it for information. Do you anticipate other problems with that seup? Everything seems to be working fine.

I did try to teach the Harmony from the other control...did not work

You need to use either a deca and hook it in with the cloud of the deca or you need a bsf.  otherwise your receiver is getting hit with signals its not mean to get hit with because the deca signal is passing directly into the tuner.  If the run is long enough I have heard its not a big deal, but I see no reason to chance it, pick up either deca or a bsf, they will only cost you about $10 on ebay I think.

#33 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

After reading this I had to stop and think about what I have. I just went through the Genie/client upgrade sending 2 HR 2-- back and keeping a hr 23 & 24.

I had pulled all new RG 6 and switched over to a SWiM and also replaced and added cat5e and 6 for the locale area network. Be for that I had the whole home on the ethernet, worked fine. I used a DirecTV 4 way green label splitter with one coax run to each of the DVR's in the house and a coax to the CCK using cat6 to the switch/router. I had one DVR in the back on it own dish tying it to the whole home with a 100 foot of cat6 to the router. Two of the DVR's in the house had the deca unites on them and the hr24 has it built in.

The DirecTV installer looked around and did nothing more then remove the DVR's and there deca's replacing them with the 44 and genie using only the coax that was there, programed the remotes and said here is my phone number in case you have a problem call and thanks for having DirecTV , have a great day. After checking I see DirecTV has something called a DECA II that replaced the wired CCK. I can't think of any reason that a tech would have any problem other then lazy. The whole home DVR work just like before only the one that comes in on the 100 feet of cat6 is much faster. I also have a Blu-Ray plugged into the back of the 44 to access the internet. That tells me that if you have the router close to the 44 or have exiting cat5e/6 to the router a CCK or DECA II is not needed to bridge over.  and there is this

I was told the same thing by a DTV install tech just yesterday.  He came out to upgrade our system to the Genie HR44.  I left specific instructions for an ethernet hookup vs. wireless.  He called me at work to tell me he could only go with wireless and made it a point to make sure that I understood that if I plugged the ethernet cable in that I would lose the whole home sharing on all the other mini genies (as well as the other DVR we left in place) and have to call DTV to come back out and resolve.  I would much rather use the wired connection as the genie didnt like my wireless password and I have a weak wireless connection.  I am a little confused, but it looks like from comments here I can use a wired connection with no issues if I reboot the main unit with an ethernet cable plugged in and wireless disabled.

Is everyone here getting the new mini remote with the HR44?  If so looks like I need to call DTV as the tech didnt leave them or give the option.  All the old remotes were left.

Could be found on Ebay????

Edited by Phil17108, 15 July 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wait, the odd ball one coming in over the network instead of deca is faster when what is used as the client?  Ill bet the hr44, as it seems to access everything faster for me no matter how a receiver is hooked up.

Not really sure why you have that on a separate dish in the first place if you can run Ethernet, you can run coax I would imagine.

#35 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

Wait, the odd ball one coming in over the network instead of deca is faster when what is used as the client?  Ill bet the hr44, as it seems to access everything faster for me no matter how a receiver is hooked up.

Not really sure why you have that on a separate dish in the first place if you can run Ethernet, you can run coax I would imagine.

The whole setup was free and it was a lot easer for the kid to add another satellite dish then try to pull coax through the conduit, I also wanted it that way. At the time I was running the whole system on ethernet and that was all installed a few years before the SWM technology came around, I had been in the beta for the what was called multi room view. By the way I have a router in the what I call the bike shop and the oddball run has a Mac Mini and the ethernet connection for a smart TV. Yes the HR 44 is just flat faster then the rest and the new remote RF is really a lot better then the old one. By the way I have time warner for internet services with 2 Magicjack plus's for phone/fax service, 3 mac's and a net work printer, 4 of the smart TV's and the DirecTV SWiM system using that as an access point to the world. Like wire hate wireless, copper is king, also I used solid copper core coax for the SWiM when I switch over to it. 

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,341 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

It sounds like you're really cooking here, unless I misread- all's well, no? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#37 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

It sounds like you're really cooking here, unless I misread- all's well, no? 

With me yes, never have had a problem with it. By the way as I wrote I hate wireless, like wire but don't like seeing it, everything is in wall or attic. 

#38 OFFLINE   lebeljd

lebeljd

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hi, I am scheduled for an HR44 installation on Thursday. My current setup is two HR22s, each with 2 coax, with a non-SWM dish.  I already have Cat5 run to both HR22s and they can see the internet connection.  The HR44 will replace one HR22 and it will be moved to another room where I also have Cat5 and a single coax.

Reading above it appears there is no problem using the Cat5 with the HR44.  My question is if I should also use the Cat5 for the HR22s for MRV?  I have the impression from above that the HR44 bridges the Ethernet connection to the coax and the Cat5 may not be needed at each HR22, but since it's already there I would prefer to use it instead of a DECA just for simplicity.  Is there an advantage to the DECA?  I was thinking Cat5 might be faster for MRV?

thanks in advance for any help

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

Advantage to using the DECA, it keeps the traffic off your internal network, and is supported by DirecTV. I believe speed wise it's the same as full duplex 100mbps, it doesn't make a difference in terms of this.

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,341 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

You really should go with the standard install, which would put your ethernet over the coax that brings in the DIRECTV® signal in the first place, so less wires, not more! You cannot, above all, have two connections on whole home. 

If there are speed differences, they'd be measured in nano seconds!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...