Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Urgent HR44 wiring question

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,835 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

That is good news.  Thank you.  So, to be clear, my next step is to hard wire the HR44 and then re-boot.  Are there any other steps that I am missing, necessary to the hard wire?  (I have the ethernet wire connected and it still tells me that the ethernet has been disabled.  A reboot while hard wired will disable the wireless and enable the ethernet?)

With the Ethernet cable connected, 

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d

Cool Member

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thank you peds48!  I will follow your steps.

DTV 1999
HR24-500
HR21-200
HR54-200

C61K-700

#53 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

That is good news. Thank you. So, to be clear, my next step is to hard wire the HR44 and then re-boot. Are there any other steps that I am missing, necessary to the hard wire? (I have the ethernet wire connected and it still tells me that the ethernet has been disabled. A reboot while hard wired will disable the wireless and enable the ethernet?)

Yes

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#54 OFFLINE   rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d

Cool Member

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hard wiring the HR44 worked and solved my problem.  Thanks for all the help.

DTV 1999
HR24-500
HR21-200
HR54-200

C61K-700

#55 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,289 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hard wiring the HR44 worked and solved my problem. Thanks for all the help.

Glad it's working for you.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

Verizon FIOS (25/25)

TiVo Roamio Pro / Vizio M55i-B2 HDTV / Family Room

TiVo Mini / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Master Bedroom

#56 OFFLINE   sdh77

sdh77

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBay Area California

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

Hoping someone can assist here.  Just found this thread from a google search. 

Previous setup. HR34 genie, hard ethernet connection to my home network, no DECA, RVU samsung TV's hard ethernet to my home network.

Wholehome worked flawlessly and I could view my playlist and watch Directv from the RVU televisions.

Just received a HR44 genie to replace the HR34.  The HR44 is getting my local DHCP, and when I go to manage clients, my RVU televisions do indeed get pin prompt, I enter the pin and get a diagnostic error 54-210.  Based on this thread I don't see anything suggesting setup has changed between HR34 & HR44.  Calling customer service they want to send a tech onsite, I'm worried he will want to add DECA's to all my RVU televisions which seems completely un-necessary.  Can anyone assist in what I need to have customer service/Directv, or me do locally to the Genie to get this working?  

Appreciate any/all suggestions.

Edited by sdh77, 27 January 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,835 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hoping someone can assist here. Just found this thread from a google search.

Previous setup. HR34 genie, hard ethernet connection to my home network, no DECA, RVU samsung TV's hard ethernet to my home network.

Wholehome worked flawlessly and I could view my playlist and watch Directv from the RVU televisions.

Just received a HR44 genie to replace the HR34. The HR44 is getting my local DHCP, and when I go to manage clients, my RVU televisions do indeed get pin prompt, I enter the pin and get a diagnostic error 54-210. Based on this thread I don't see anything suggesting setup has changed between HR34 & HR44. Calling customer service they want to send a tech onsite, I'm worried he will want to add DECA's to all my RVU televisions which seems completely un-necessary. Can anyone assist in what I need to have customer service/Directv, or me do locally to the Genie to get this working?

Appreciate any/all suggestions.

you do in fact need DECAs, at the very least during the first time set up, after that it can go back to wired Ethernet. Without DECA you will keep failing the test.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#58 OFFLINE   sdh77

sdh77

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply Ped48!  I called back Directv to see if in lieu of waiting 2 weeks for a technician to come out and see if they could send me the DECA - directv customer service (escalated team) claims that the DECA units for RVU televisions can't be ordered - technician has to bring onsite.  As for the HR44, it would require the cinema connection kit (no DECA - at least that is what the customer service rep insisted).

She did tell me I could connect the HR44 to wireless network and that would work - assuming if I can achieve this then I'll get past initial setup and might be able to connect back through hard wire similar to your suggestion to connect through DECA first - I'd prefer hard wire over wireless as less likely to drop signal.

Thoughts?

#59 OFFLINE   sdh77

sdh77

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Wireless on the HR44 did not correct the issue, the RVU tv's are still showing the diagnostic error.  I guess I need to wait for the tech to arrive and give me the RVU DECA's before I can complete this initial setup and then hopefully can remove the DECA unit and go back to my standard hardwire connection without useless DECA hardware.

Thanks

#60 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationPeoria, IL

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

It would probably be quicker/easier for you to get the DECA's yourself instead of waiting for a tech visit.

Here's some cheap ones on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...ds=directv deca

Or you could get the nice new USB powered ones, but they cost more.

http://www.amazon.co...irectv deca usb

Personally I would get the USB powered ones and install them and leave them there.  That way you are running a supported setup and will have less things to troubleshoot down the road.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#61 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,002 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

The CSR was wrong ...

You cannot establish an RVU connection to a client, TV or STB type, through the built in WiFi of an HR44 or any other Genie model.

If I were you, I would pickup one of the new USB DECA modules for cheap off ebay such as here ..
http://m.ebay.com/it...0773?nav=SEARCH

For these situations which are designed specifically for RVU TVs, even if you plan to revert back to ethernet after you get past the setup process.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#62 OFFLINE   sdh77

sdh77

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the links/details.  I think I'm good to go - CSR I just spoke to knew how to get my the old deca's shipped, I should get it tomorrow.  I still have my tech visit scheduled next week and I'll ask the onsite tech to give me the USB one's as I shouldn't have to out of pocket these.

Very strange that the old HR34 setup didn't require DECA's but newer HR44 does... 

Thanks again for all info!

#63 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

I believe It does to now. They made a change a while back in how it verifies and tests RVU and if it doesn't see a deca it fails.

#64 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,002 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

And hope you have a way to power an "old DECA" on hand before the tech. arrives. Otherwise you're going to have to wait for him.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#65 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationPeoria, IL

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

I agree with HoTat2, they are most likely going to send you receiver DECAs without the power supply, so you will probably be calling back when you get them to try to get power supplies and then waiting for them if they can even figure out how to send those to you.

Probably still better off buying the ones from Amazon I posted, or the eBay ones if you don't mind eBay.  I just like Amazon as I'm a Prime member and get 2 day shipping.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#66 OFFLINE   twizt3dkitty

twizt3dkitty

• Registered
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

You need a broadband deca to do rvu, not a receiver deca. It just depends on what the csr shipped.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...