Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Urgent HR44 wiring question

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lebeljd

lebeljd

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

So the standard install would be Ethernet to the HR44 and coax with a DECA to each HR22?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hi, I am scheduled for an HR44 installation on Thursday. My current setup is two HR22s, each with 2 coax, with a non-SWM dish.  I already have Cat5 run to both HR22s and they can see the internet connection.  The HR44 will replace one HR22 and it will be moved to another room where I also have Cat5 and a single coax.

Reading above it appears there is no problem using the Cat5 with the HR44.  My question is if I should also use the Cat5 for the HR22s for MRV?  I have the impression from above that the HR44 bridges the Ethernet connection to the coax and the Cat5 may not be needed at each HR22, but since it's already there I would prefer to use it instead of a DECA just for simplicity.  Is there an advantage to the DECA?  I was thinking Cat5 might be faster for MRV?

thanks in advance for any help

If your home network is in good shape, there really shouldn't be any difference in performance. Theoretically DECA coax networking for the receivers is advantageous by keeping MRV traffic off your home network, but if your network has sufficient bandwidth this advantage won't be noticeable.

The installer will not install ethernet however, nor will he connect the HR44 by ethernet cable to your home network/internet as they are both unsupported configurations. He will place a DECA module on the HR22 for WH connectivity to the HR44 and a CCK to connect the HR44 and HR22 "DECA cloud" to the home network/internet.

If you want to use your home ethernet network for MRV, you're going to have to set it up yourself after the installer leaves by removing all this and running ethernet to both boxes and placing a DECA band stop filter (BSF) on the input to HR22.       

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#43 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,300 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'd say the installer is likely to put in a CCK, but not assured. (My installer loved to see how I connected my Genie to my router.) 

Again, I'd let the installer do his thing, then set it up they way you want. I see no advantage to string ethernet more than the one connection to the Genie. Then make sure the CCK is removed before firing up! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

You need to use either deca or put a bsf on your HR22 no matter what. Otherwise it could get screwed up as the hr44 will always pump out a deca signal through its coax connection and it could overwhelm the sat tuners in the HR22.

Personally, use the deca and forget the cat 5 on the HR22. Its just easier. And IMHO its better anyway for simplicity. Using your own network is actually less simple IMHO for the system.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#45 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Current Directv training (even recently revised) makes no mention of the HR34 or HR44 ability to bridge through the ethernet port. I have it from a reliable source that it won't be anytime soon. This is regardless of its actual capability. While this tech was correct (operations-wise), he was correct for the wrong reasons.

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Current Directv training (even recently revised) makes no mention of the HR34 or HR44 ability to bridge through the ethernet port. I have it from a reliable source that it won't be anytime soon. This is regardless of its actual capability. While this tech was correct (operations-wise), he was correct for the wrong reasons.

This is why we advised folks to let the tech to its thing, and it after they want to go back to their prior set up then all is good.  The problem with "unsupported" is that most techs will blame this set up before trying to diagnose the "real" problem.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

I was told the same thing by a DTV install tech just yesterday.  He came out to upgrade our system to the Genie HR44.  I left specific instructions for an ethernet hookup vs. wireless.  He called me at work to tell me he could only go with wireless and made it a point to make sure that I understood that if I plugged the ethernet cable in that I would lose the whole home sharing on all the other mini genies (as well as the other DVR we left in place) and have to call DTV to come back out and resolve.  I would much rather use the wired connection as the genie didnt like my wireless password and I have a weak wireless connection.  I am a little confused, but it looks like from comments here I can use a wired connection with no issues if I reboot the main unit with an ethernet cable plugged in and wireless disabled.

Is everyone here getting the new mini remote with the HR44?  If so looks like I need to call DTV as the tech didnt leave them or give the option.  All the old remotes were left.

I have exactly the same issue re: weak wireless connectivity and preference for a wired ethernet connection.  The telephone service tech. told me exactly the same thing.  "If you use a wired ethernet connection, you will lose your whole home functionality."  I have my system currently connected wirelessly but would like to hardwire the HR44.  B/4 I do that, I would like to be certain of the outcome.  Certaintly is difficult when each person, (and service techs at that), tells you something different.  No offense, but is there some corroboration out there?  Thank you for the help.

Rick

DTV 1999
HR24-500
HR21-200
HR44-700

#48 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

It is strictly a lack of current training. It was true before the Genie that if you used a wired network connection to your DVR that DECA would shut down. Unless you went to full ethernet network (which is unsupported) Whole Home would not work.  However with the Genie you can use the DVR as your Ethernet/DECA bridge, in the case of the HR44 wired or wireless do the same thing.

My Setup

#49 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have exactly the same issue re: weak wireless connectivity and preference for a wired ethernet connection.  The telephone service tech. told me exactly the same thing.  "If you use a wired ethernet connection, you will lose your whole home functionality."  I have my system currently connected wirelessly but would like to hardwire the HR44.  B/4 I do that, I would like to be certain of the outcome.  Certaintly is difficult when each person, (and service techs at that), tells you something different.  No offense, but is there some corroboration out there?  Thank you for the help.

Rick

Yes, you may connect the HR44 directly by ethernet;

The HR34 and 44 (or "Genies") both have internal wired CCKs, but many techs. do not know this, nor are they trained to install a Genie this way for internet connectivity.

And the reason many techs claim it will disable your WH functionality is likely due to the mistaken association to how the H/HR24s internal DECA becomes disabled whenever an active ethernet cable is plugged into them.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#50 OFFLINE   rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

That is good news.  Thank you.  So, to be clear, my next step is to hard wire the HR44 and then re-boot.  Are there any other steps that I am missing, necessary to the hard wire?  (I have the ethernet wire connected and it still tells me that the ethernet has been disabled.  A reboot while hard wired will disable the wireless and enable the ethernet?)

DTV 1999
HR24-500
HR21-200
HR44-700

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

That is good news.  Thank you.  So, to be clear, my next step is to hard wire the HR44 and then re-boot.  Are there any other steps that I am missing, necessary to the hard wire?  (I have the ethernet wire connected and it still tells me that the ethernet has been disabled.  A reboot while hard wired will disable the wireless and enable the ethernet?)

With the Ethernet cable connected, 

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thank you peds48!  I will follow your steps.

DTV 1999
HR24-500
HR21-200
HR44-700

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

That is good news. Thank you. So, to be clear, my next step is to hard wire the HR44 and then re-boot. Are there any other steps that I am missing, necessary to the hard wire? (I have the ethernet wire connected and it still tells me that the ethernet has been disabled. A reboot while hard wired will disable the wireless and enable the ethernet?)

Yes

#54 OFFLINE   rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hard wiring the HR44 worked and solved my problem.  Thanks for all the help.

DTV 1999
HR24-500
HR21-200
HR44-700

#55 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hard wiring the HR44 worked and solved my problem. Thanks for all the help.

Glad it's working for you.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...