Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does a 'used' receiver require buying a new access card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

A friend of mine gave me a couple H20s today. One he bought 'owned' off Ebay years ago so he could activate it only when his daughter was home from college for the summer, but has been inactive on his account since she graduated a year ago. The other was leased but Directv told him they didn't want it back when he replaced it with a Genie last week.

I know activating the owned H20 won't be a problem. As a commercial account, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to activate the leased one as well. The question is, do I need to buy new access cards for them? I've read conflicting reports, it sounds like this may be one of the (many) cases where it depends on the CSR you get when you call.

Which is more likely to work, activating them with the card still in them that was previously active on my friend's account, or activating them using cards previously active on my account in now-deceased receivers? I've read that Directv doesn't like re-using of access cards, just not sure if it is the card staying on the same receiver but changing accounts or the card staying on the same account and changing receivers that they've less of a problem with.

I know I can pay $20 for new ones, but it would be pretty cool if I can manage to get two receivers completely free :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

You need two access cards. Access cards are not transferable
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Jim1023

Jim1023

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Call the DIRECTV Access Card Department at 877-887-7994 and give them your account number and the receiver ID number (RID) and they will tell you if the receiver can be activated on your account.  You can then decide if you want to order a new card.  Never assume just because someone says that the receiver is "owned" or that DIRECTV doesn't want it back that it can be activated.  They can pull up the full history of the receiver and see if there is an unpaid balance against it.

DIRECTV will charge $20 plus tax for the new card.  The last time I ordered a new card (about a month ago for an "owned" HR24) it took eight days to receive it.  The delay was not with USPS (Priority Mail), but with DIRECTV delaying sending it out.

Jim

Edited by Jim1023, 14 June 2013 - 09:40 PM.

DIRECTV customer since July 1994

#4 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

A friend of mine gave me a couple H20s today. One he bought 'owned' off Ebay years ago so he could activate it only when his daughter was home from college for the summer, but has been inactive on his account since she graduated a year ago. The other was leased but Directv told him they didn't want it back when he replaced it with a Genie last week.

I know activating the owned H20 won't be a problem. As a commercial account, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to activate the leased one as well. The question is, do I need to buy new access cards for them? I've read conflicting reports, it sounds like this may be one of the (many) cases where it depends on the CSR you get when you call.

Which is more likely to work, activating them with the card still in them that was previously active on my friend's account, or activating them using cards previously active on my account in now-deceased receivers? I've read that Directv doesn't like re-using of access cards, just not sure if it is the card staying on the same receiver but changing accounts or the card staying on the same account and changing receivers that they've less of a problem with.

I know I can pay $20 for new ones, but it would be pretty cool if I can manage to get two receivers completely free :)

Dunno, I've had two different results -- both a couple of years ago -- one the Tech activated with the old care (I should note that it was a card from a dead receiver on my account), two I had to wait for them to ship me a new card (shipped fedex two day).  There was no charge for the new card.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,712 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Dunno, I've had two different results -- both a couple of years ago -- one the Tech activated with the old care (I should note that it was a card from a dead receiver on my account), two I had to wait for them to ship me a new card (shipped fedex two day).  There was no charge for the new card.

I'm telling that in other thread, but these "twins" will pedals you and will never give a slack :)

Edited by P Smith, 19 June 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

It is usually $20 for a new access card to activate a pre-owned receiver in good standing from another source.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,712 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

yeah, we are telling the same two variants for how many years here ? almost ten ! :eek2:

spam firewall