Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for move?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bsbuskirk

bsbuskirk

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 101 posts
  • LocationParkersburg WV DMA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm buying a new house. I'm a long time DirecTV customer (13+ years) w/ 3 HD DVRs, protection plan, WHDVR, and premier package. I'll be looking to add a Genie to the active DVRs at the new house. A closing date hasn't been set yet, but is expected in the next couple weeks. The new house does not have a dish. It is wired for cable, but the wiring will be used for Internet and telephone through Suddenlink.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm concerned about the DirecTV install because I'll need sets upstairs and in basement of split-entry home with drywalled basement ceilings. Dish will go on roof.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

What do you mean "it is wired for cable, but the wiring will be used for Internet and telephone through Suddenlink"? Does Suddenlink require using all the coax in your house? If it uses coax, can't you just have it using the coax in one location in your house where you won't have a TV, then wireless for internet/phone everywhere else, so the rest of the coax can be used for Directv?

If you had to share, you could run all the Suddenlink internet/phone over Directv's DECA so everything could share the same coax. It would be more complicated, but less complicated than tearing up drywall.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

Your install would run coax around the outside of your house then in to the house at the various locations where you will have TVs. If you want custom work where coax is fished inside walls, you will need to arrange with a private installer to do that type of work.  Your new installation will have 11 tuners, so you will need four coax from the dish to some location, then one coax from that location to each receiver location. An SWM16 will be installed at the central location.

If you go with a regular install, when the installer arrives walk through the installation with him before he starts work, agreeing on where the dish will be located, how the wires will be run, etc., so that you both are in agreement on what will be done and how it will be done.  Unfortunately, DirecTV installers are paid by the job, not the hour, so his goal will be to get the job done as fast as possible. You might offer to pay him on the side for additional/custom work you want done.

#4 OFFLINE   bsbuskirk

bsbuskirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 101 posts
  • LocationParkersburg WV DMA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

The house is all brick, so my hope is to only penetrate the wall at one location to get into the house from the dish. Complicating things is that at least three receiver locations I want the TV on an interior wall.

In what order should I handle things? Call for movers deal and talk to installer when he arrives, or contact someone to wire and then contact DirecTV? If option two, who should I approach about doing the wiring?

In my area (Parkersburg, WV), experiences with local DirecTV installers have been mixed, and I have no idea how to contact them other than by scheduling an install.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

As to the custom inside work, you might check high-end audio/video stores in your area, or possibly low-voltage contractors. Perhaps someone in your area can comment on local installers (who does DirecTV work in that area). I would probably get the inside work done before calling DirecTV, with all lines going to a central location where the DirecTV installer will put the SWM16 and bring the lines from the dish to. You will want AC power available there. You could also have whoever you hire run the coax for the dish, but make sure it goes outside someplace near where the dish will actually end up, which may or may not be easy to predict. Four coax runs using RG6 with solid copper center conductor from the dish.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...