As of last week I've been having a new problem with my HR24-500 HD-DVR. I have it connected to my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver and for years this setup has worked great with not a single problem. Suddenly I've started having issues with the audio dropping in and out. I know it's not a broadcast drop out because if I'm watching a recorded program and back it up I can sometimes hear the audio I missed.
And when I say the audio drops out, it's not for a second or two, it's for good. And it'll randomly come back later, which has made diagnosing the issue very difficult.
When the audio is missing, I do get a fairly faint steady clicking sound from the speakers. It's very hard to hear though but it's there every time the audio is missing.
When I go into the HR24's settings and disable Dolby Digital, I often do get Stereo sound. But the odd thing is in this mode, the receiver ends up kicking back and forth between Stereo and Dolby Digital decoding...often 20-30 times per minute, which is very annoying because the receiver clicks and the audio stops during that transition.
In order to try and diagnose what might be the issue I have tried the following:
- Replaced HDMI cable from HR-24 to receiver, no change.
- Connected HR-24 directly to TV, always works with no issues, however it does not decode DD so it's hard to be sure.
- I get no audio issues from my Sony Bluray player, works great over HDMI. (Makes me thing the HR24 is at fault.)
- I swapped out to a different HR-24 that I have, worked ok for a bit then same issue. (could be a software problem?)
- Connected a digital coax cable and ran it to my Onkyo AVR and set it to use that for audio instead of the HDMI cable. Worked great at first, then eventually same issue with clicks and all.
- When I cycle through various surround modes on the AVR, the clicking sound changes somewhat and I can make out dialog in various chirps and clips sometimes, but in general the audio is gone.
- Ran the HDMI cable through a different input on the AVR, worked at first, eventually same issue.
Has anyone else experienced this problem at all or can recommend potential fixes? It's getting pretty darn annoying. I don't have the HR-24 software version number in front of me but the date was 4/30.
I haven't totally ruled out my AVR as the issue but given that it works great with my Bluray player I'm leaning towards the HR-24 being the problem.
Any help would be appreciated!