Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-500 Audio Issues

hr24 audio hdmi no sound clicking

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mykroft

Mykroft

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

As of last week I've been having a new problem with my HR24-500 HD-DVR.  I have it connected to my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver and for years this setup has worked great with not a single problem.  Suddenly I've started having issues with the audio dropping in and out.  I know it's not a broadcast drop out because if I'm watching a recorded program and back it up I can sometimes hear the audio I missed.

And when I say the audio drops out, it's not for a second or two, it's for good.  And it'll randomly come back later, which has made diagnosing the issue very difficult.

When the audio is missing, I do get a fairly faint steady clicking sound from the speakers.  It's very hard to hear though but it's there every time the audio is missing.

When I go into the HR24's settings and disable Dolby Digital, I often do get Stereo sound.  But the odd thing is in this mode, the receiver ends up kicking back and forth between Stereo and Dolby Digital decoding...often 20-30 times per minute, which is very annoying because the receiver clicks and the audio stops during that transition.

In order to try and diagnose what might be the issue I have tried the following:

• Replaced HDMI cable from HR-24 to receiver, no change.
  • Connected HR-24 directly to TV, always works with no issues, however it does not decode DD so it's hard to be sure.
  • I get no audio issues from my Sony Bluray player, works great over HDMI.  (Makes me thing the HR24 is at fault.)
  • I swapped out to a different HR-24 that I have, worked ok for a bit then same issue. (could be a software problem?)
  • Connected a digital coax cable and ran it to my Onkyo AVR and set it to use that for audio instead of the HDMI cable.  Worked great at first, then eventually same issue with clicks and all.
  • When I cycle through various surround modes on the AVR, the clicking sound changes somewhat and I can make out dialog in various chirps and clips sometimes, but in general the audio is gone.  
  • Ran the HDMI cable through a different input on the AVR, worked at first, eventually same issue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem at all or can recommend potential fixes?  It's getting pretty darn annoying.  I don't have the HR-24 software version number in front of me but the date was 4/30.

I haven't totally ruled out my AVR as the issue but given that it works great with my Bluray player I'm leaning towards the HR-24 being the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Sure sounds like an AVR problem.  You might want to post this question in the relevant Onkyo thread in the "AV Receiver" forum at http://www.avsforum.com

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

What he said.

Many an Onkyo and Denon have had their DD issues fixed by a current firmware update.

I'd scour that thread for firmware issues.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

As of last week I've been having a new problem with my HR24-500 HD-DVR.  I have it connected to my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver and for years this setup has worked great with not a single problem.  Suddenly I've started having issues with the audio dropping in and out.  I know it's not a broadcast drop out because if I'm watching a recorded program and back it up I can sometimes hear the audio I missed.

And when I say the audio drops out, it's not for a second or two, it's for good.  And it'll randomly come back later, which has made diagnosing the issue very difficult.

When the audio is missing, I do get a fairly faint steady clicking sound from the speakers.  It's very hard to hear though but it's there every time the audio is missing.

When I go into the HR24's settings and disable Dolby Digital, I often do get Stereo sound.  But the odd thing is in this mode, the receiver ends up kicking back and forth between Stereo and Dolby Digital decoding...often 20-30 times per minute, which is very annoying because the receiver clicks and the audio stops during that transition.

In order to try and diagnose what might be the issue I have tried the following:

• Replaced HDMI cable from HR-24 to receiver, no change.
  • Connected HR-24 directly to TV, always works with no issues, however it does not decode DD so it's hard to be sure.
  • I get no audio issues from my Sony Bluray player, works great over HDMI.  (Makes me thing the HR24 is at fault.)
  • I swapped out to a different HR-24 that I have, worked ok for a bit then same issue. (could be a software problem?)
  • Connected a digital coax cable and ran it to my Onkyo AVR and set it to use that for audio instead of the HDMI cable.  Worked great at first, then eventually same issue with clicks and all.
  • When I cycle through various surround modes on the AVR, the clicking sound changes somewhat and I can make out dialog in various chirps and clips sometimes, but in general the audio is gone.  
  • Ran the HDMI cable through a different input on the AVR, worked at first, eventually same issue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem at all or can recommend potential fixes?  It's getting pretty darn annoying.  I don't have the HR-24 software version number in front of me but the date was 4/30.

I haven't totally ruled out my AVR as the issue but given that it works great with my Bluray player I'm leaning towards the HR-24 being the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!

I would think you proved the AVR was at fault when you put the other DVR on it and the same thing happened.  I wouldn't even bother searching for an update for your AVR, I'd be out buying a new AVR.  I use Sonys and  have never had a problem similar to yours.  I've seen posts with problems similar to yours and they usually are Onkyos or Denons.  If I were still gambling, I'd be willing to bet a whole bunch of money on you putting a $300 Sony AVR in place of your present AVR and the problem going away.  Besides, it's Father's Day, a good time to buy a reliable Sony.  Treat yourself!   :hi:

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I would think you proved the AVR was at fault when you put the other DVR on it and the same thing happened.  I wouldn't even bother searching for an update for your AVR, I'd be out buying a new AVR.  I use Sonys and  have never had a problem similar to yours.  I've seen posts with problems similar to yours and they usually are Onkyos or Denons.  If I were still gambling, I'd be willing to bet a whole bunch of money on you putting a $300 Sony AVR in place of your present AVR and the problem going away.  Besides, it's Father's Day, a good time to buy a reliable Sony.  Treat yourself!   :hi:

Rich

+1 on Sony  AVRs. Have been using them for many years without any issues.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

We run Yamaha AVRs at my house.

No problems.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Denon here. Low end, sometimes have to power cycle it. Reminds me to see if there's a firmware update.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

We run Yamaha AVRs at my house.

No problems.

Bought one at Costco.  Was horrible.  Tell me Costco doesn't sell seconds.  

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Costco doesn't sell seconds....

Well, I can't tell a lie, I don't know, but strongly suspect you're right. Moreover, they number their custom made models to closely resemble the numbers of known sets, but can use cheaper parts or leave features off. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Bought one at Costco. Was horrible. Tell me Costco doesn't sell seconds.

Rich

Actually they don't as far as I have ever seen. There can be a bad Yamaha or any other unit once in a while it happens with every brand.

Once had a bad 3k pre amp come out of a box to use for a display in store. That was a fun discussion with the manufacturer. :)

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Costco doesn't sell seconds....

Well, I can't tell a lie, I don't know, but strongly suspect you're right. Moreover, they number their custom made models to closely resemble the numbers of known sets, but can use cheaper parts or leave features off. 

Their watches are seconds, I can verify that.  

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

I have noticed that a lot of sale items at Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc. now have the wording "refurbished" in the description.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

I have noticed that a lot of sale items at Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc. now have the wording "refurbished" in the description.

I've noticed the same thing.  At least they have the decency to tell us, gotta give them credit for that.  

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

I've noticed the same thing. At least they have the decency to tell us, gotta give them credit for that.

Rich

Dont know about other states, but in NY is the law to disclose if a product is refurbished
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Dont know about other states, but in NY is the law to disclose if a product is refurbished

Maybe NJ just passed the same law?  I don't see much risk buying something like that from WalMart, they'll take anything back without much hassle.  D* has apparently begun to actually refurb the 24s, at least from my experience.  I've got a few 24s that are refurbed and they are fine.  Still wouldn't trust the older refurbed models.

Rich 

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

The replacement HR24-100 for my dead HR23-700 in the last couple of weeks said refurbished on the box.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

The replacement HR24-100 for my dead HR23-700 in the last couple of weeks said refurbished on the box.

They've always had some indications the units were refurbished.

Rich

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24, audio, hdmi, no sound, clicking

spam firewall