Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Service in name of my family memeber that has passed away

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Recently my mother passed away and we had the service here in her name. I don't want to continue the service in her name because it would be fraud in my opinion. I've called D** several times. I've gotten 3 different explanations from 3 different CSRs. We all know that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing when it comes to CSRs some times. If any one can direct me in the proper way to take care of this I would be greatly appreciative. Oh yes I have the death certificate.
B00BOO

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,670 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

The executive of her estate is the one who should deal DirecTV.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

You might scan the certificate and attach it to an email to them and explain what you are trying to get done.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

The executive of her estate is the one who should deal DirecTV.

+1

Recently my mother passed away and we had the service here in her name. I don't want to continue the service in her name because it would be fraud in my opinion. I've called D** several times. I've gotten 3 different explanations from 3 different CSRs. We all know that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing when it comes to CSRs some times. If any one can direct me in the proper way to take care of this I would be greatly appreciative. Oh yes I have the death certificate.

Since the CSRs are giving you different information, I'd send an email to the VP of Customer Service (ellen.filipiak@directv.com). Tell her office what happened and that you have the death certificate if needed. Send it today and you'll probably be contacted before the weekend is over.

Sorry for your loss.

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hope she had many years of enjoyment with the service.

Our thoughts are with your family.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm sorry to hear about you mother.  You have our deepest sympathies.

I suggest you, or the Executor/Executrix, call and ask for retention.  In my experience it is always helpful to start with the passing of your mother and asking what documentation they would need to transfer service to the surviving family member.  I've found that some places will want the official copy and others will accept a faxed/emailed version.

I know there are a lot of calls to make, accounts to close/transfer, and a myriad of details to take care of.  I’ve been there.  In my experience it’s always much smoother to start with asking what the options are for the passing of the account holder.  It usually leads to finding a procedure specifically for the passing of the account holder much quicker.  DIRECTV certainly has to have had account holders pass away and I gotta believe they already have a procedure/protocol for just this situation. 

I hope this helps but I realize these situations can be frustrating...especially when you’re just trying to do the right thing from the beginning.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

I wanted to say thanks to everyone's wonderful advice. I will be putting it to use.
B00BOO

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Please let us know how your situation (with DirecTV ) turns out.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

You might scan the certificate and attach it to an email to them and explain what you are trying to get done.

Nopes. DirecTV does not require this anymore. A person such as a child of theirs or a husband can call in an cancel the account even if they are not physically on the account. New protocols state a person is considered authorized if they can validate something like the last billing amount or last 4 numbers of the ccard on file. If they give you a hard time getting it cancelled (and I mention this as some agents still think your name has to be on the account to be authorized which is not true if you can do as stated previously, you'd be suprised how many agents think this -.-) you should call no further and contact the Office of the President in an email you can find at DirecTV.com. DirecTV wants to make this as effortless as possible. Sorry for your lost and hope it is effortless.

Edited by Volatility, 17 June 2013 - 01:42 AM.

• Mike Bertelson likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Nopes. DirecTV does not require this anymore. A person such as a child of theirs or a husband can call in an cancel the account even if they are not physically on the account. New protocols state a person is considered authorized if they can validate something like the last billing amount or last 4 numbers of the ccard on file. If they give you a hard time getting it cancelled (and I mention this as some agents still think your name has to be on the account to be authorized which is not true if you can do as stated previously, you'd be suprised how many agents think this -.-) you should call no further and contact the Office of the President in an email you can find at DirecTV.com. DirecTV wants to make this as effortless as possible. Sorry for your lost and hope it is effortless.

That's good to hear.  It can be really frustrating to deal with people over the phone about someone's passing.  It can take dozens of calls, faxes, letters, and even the odd over night shipment...add arguing with people over the phone too boot.  

DIRECTV's policy actually makes sense.  Not so mention with the internet it takes about a minute to find the obit.

How easy is it to transfer the account to the surviving family member...say spouse or children?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#11 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Three years ago my brother died and I called DirecTV to cancel his account. At that time I was asked to send them a copy of his death certificate. They sent a return mailer and I shipped the box back. Not a lot of difficulty (other than that the tracking for the box never showed delivery, but I didn't hear from DirecTV again.)

What is being asked here is a bit different, but I would not be at all astonished if CSRs weren't all on the same page.

Steve

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

That's good to hear. It can be really frustrating to deal with people over the phone about someone's passing. It can take dozens of calls, faxes, letters, and even the odd over night shipment...add arguing with people over the phone too boot.

DIRECTV's policy actually makes sense. Not so mention with the internet it takes about a minute to find the obit.

How easy is it to transfer the account to the surviving family member...say spouse or children?

Mike

Can't. They require the account to cancelled at that point.

Three years ago my brother died and I called DirecTV to cancel his account. At that time I was asked to send them a copy of his death certificate. They sent a return mailer and I shipped the box back. Not a lot of difficulty (other than that the tracking for the box never showed delivery, but I didn't hear from DirecTV again.)

What is being asked here is a bit different, but I would not be at all astonished if CSRs weren't all on the same page.

With mostly any company--some of their reps are unforunately ignorant and do not know how to use their tools.

Edited by Volatility, 17 June 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Can't. They require the account to cancelled at that point.With mostly any company--some of their reps are unforunately ignorant and do not know how to use their tools.

It can't be transferred to a spouse?  They would have to cancel, return everything, and then call for new service?

That doesn't make that much sense to me. :scratchin

Mike

µß

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

It can't be transferred to a spouse?  They would have to cancel, return everything, and then call for new service?

Mike

That makes two of us. I think of my in-laws and the steps this requires if they go through this (I guess it is more of a 'when' and not an 'if').

The last thing my MIL would want to deal with is returning equipment she is comfortable with with her channels and recordings set and then arranging for new service and 'new' equipment and then programming the DVR.

You would think if requested, DirecTV could transfer the equipment to surviving spouse or even child living at the same address. 

Edited by trh, 17 June 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

It can't be transferred to a spouse? They would have to cancel, return everything, and then call for new service?

Mike

The agents are not supposed to change account ownership like that. Policies state the account must be cancelled, which I would agree does not make sense. That's not saying it hasn't been done.

Edited by Volatility, 17 June 2013 - 05:09 PM.

• Mike Bertelson likes this

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

The agents are not supposed to change account ownership like that. Policies state the account must be cancelled, which I would agree does not make sense.

I would think it makes sense since the contract was singed by the person who passed away. I not a lawyer but I would assume that a contract that was singed by a deceased person would hold no weight in court.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

A person such as a child of theirs or a husband can call in an cancel the account even if they are not physically on the account. New protocols state a person is considered authorized if they can validate something like the last billing amount or last 4 numbers of the ccard on file.

That's not the experience I recently had.  Our account is in my wife's name.  When I called in a couple of weeks ago about something, they asked my relationship to the account holder.  They told me that the next time, my wife would need to call and give permission for them to deal with me.  They said that this was a new policy.

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

I think your situation is different than canceling do to death.

#19 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Can't. They require the account to cancelled at that point.

The account can be changed to a spouse's name but that is all.  If a child would like to take it over, it must be cancelled.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#20 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

That's not the experience I recently had. Our account is in my wife's name. When I called in a couple of weeks ago about something, they asked my relationship to the account holder. They told me that the next time, my wife would need to call and give permission for them to deal with me. They said that this was a new policy.

They change their policies frequently to be honest, but if you were the spouse and could verify something like the last 4 digits of the card on file they should have been able to help you. They had change their policy to reflect this last time I checked. I remember the scripts being updated saying a person is considered authorized if they could do that.

spam firewall