Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3TB internal drive for HR34

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

Please forgive me I have searched here and Google and am getting conflicting answers. With weaknees offering a internal 3TB upgrade for HR34 and 44s is it safe to say hr34s allow internal 3tb drives now and not just 2tb anymore?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'm running an internal WD 3TB EURS in my HR34.  No problems. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

There's no limit on what you can use on an HR34/HR44.  I've used up to a 12TB RAID array. 

Keep in mind though that if the DVR dies you lose all of your recordings and opening a leased unit to upgrade the drive violates TOS.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Please forgive me I have searched here and Google and am getting conflicting answers. With weaknees offering a internal 3TB upgrade for HR34 and 44s is it safe to say hr34s allow internal 3tb drives now and not just 2tb anymore?

Yes they do. AAMOF, it can work with even larger drives.

I would be wary about the type of drive. I suggest you stick to those models that others have already had success with...unless you’d like to try something out and hope for the best. Whichever you choose, post it here. The more data points the better. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   stevekiene

stevekiene

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

I have a HR34 and have tried a 4TB and 3TB drive and neither worked. I had success with a 2TB drive. All external. The 3 and 4 failed at receiver startup with the following blue screen message: A problem has been detected with the storage device.  [blah blah blah]  Diagnostics Code: 75-204.

The 3TB was a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001

The 4TB was a Seagate Desktop 4 TB SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST4000DM000

The drives work fine when plugged into a Windows machine. I can format them for full capacity.

Does anyone have any insight? Thanks much.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

yes, the insight has been posted by our member here

in short he did format it by HR25, then HR44 start reformatting and using it

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

I have a HR34 and have tried a 4TB and 3TB drive and neither worked. I had success with a 2TB drive. All external. The 3 and 4 failed at receiver startup with the following blue screen message: A problem has been detected with the storage device.  [blah blah blah]  Diagnostics Code: 75-204.

The 3TB was a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001

The 4TB was a Seagate Desktop 4 TB SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST4000DM000

The drives work fine when plugged into a Windows machine. I can format them for full capacity.

Does anyone have any insight? Thanks much.

I'm using that exact same 3TB drive on my HR34.  You shouldn't have a problem.  What enclosure are you using?  It sounds like the enclosure you are using only supports up to 2TB drives.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

That's for the HR44, and only the 500 series at that.  His issue is with an HR34.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   stevekiene

stevekiene

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm using that exact same 3TB drive on my HR34.  You shouldn't have a problem.  What enclosure are you using?  It sounds like the enclosure you are using only supports up to 2TB drives.

The enclosure is a NexStar3 from Vantec. Model NST-380SU3. They claim it is 4TB compatible.

It did work via USB on my Windows machine. Tomorrow I will try it in a laptop that has eSATA and see if it sees the full 4TB drive.

Thanks for your help.

#10 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Here is the thread. Lucky13 posted the information, I have followed his lead. So far so good, I have had a few instances where the HR44 froze on ff or rw fixed by an additional fast forward or rewind. I think (hope?)this is software related and not HDD related. Waiting on D* to resolve the issue but to this point it is a minor annoyance.

Read on:
http://www.dbstalk.c...g-external-hdd/
T

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

The enclosure is a NexStar3 from Vantec. Model NST-380SU3. They claim it is 4TB compatible.

It did work via USB on my Windows machine. Tomorrow I will try it in a laptop that has eSATA and see if it sees the full 4TB drive.

Thanks for your help.

According to a review on amazon.com it sees a 3TB drive only after a firmware update.   Now that doesn't explain why your Windows box sees all 3TB though.

http://www.amazon.co...ore=electronics

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Here is the thread. Lucky13 posted the information, I have followed his lead. So far so good, I have had a few instances where the HR44 froze on ff or rw fixed by an additional fast forward or rewind. I think (hope?)this is software related and not HDD related. Waiting on D* to resolve the issue but to this point it is a minor annoyance.

Read on:
http://www.dbstalk.c...g-external-hdd/

The freezing is software related.  I even removed my external drive and ran off the stock internal on my HR44-500 and the issue is still there, sometimes.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

The freezing is software related.  I even removed my external drive and ran off the stock internal on my HR44-500 and the issue is still there, sometimes.

Thank you, I suspected as much. It is nice to have confirmation.
T

spam firewall