Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My HR23 700 blew up, and now i am in search of a HR-44

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miniSQ

miniSQ

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Long story short...my 2009 HR 23 died on thursday. I cam home from work and went into the theater room and i smelled burnt electronics, or so i suspected.  It was in fact the HR23 that must have shorted or something because it was that burnt circuit board smell.

So after about 90 minutes or so on the phone with them...may have been less, but it felt like longer, i have an install appt on 6/19 to have my new "genie" installed.

I didn't specifically request the HR44 at the time, because i did not know anything about what models were available, i assumed Genie menant newest box available. And i did request that i get the newest model that DTV sells and they seaid that would not be a problem. Ha-ha i am so naive.

So i call them up this morning to ask what model i would be getting, and the first guy said that he sure hopes i am getting the much newer and improved HR44. And that yes it was available in my area (Vermont) and that he would transfer me to the order desk to have them confirm that the HR44 was in fact the unit i would be getting...all was going so well.

Then i talked to the order desk...yes you are getting the genie they said, and yes there is only one model genie so you have nothing to worry about. I then said , well is the the HR44? And they said no it was the HR34. 

So after 20 minutes of being stonewalled and excalting the call...i am no closer to knowing what will show up on wednesday and there seems to be nothing they can do other than mark on the order that customer has requested the HR44. And they suggested i call them first thing in the morning to do a field call which they say they can talk to the installer and request a HR44. 

So if he shows up with a HR34 ...should i refuse it? Or should i just accept it and if i hate it,  then go out and buy a HR44 and move the HR34 to my second TV room, replacing another HR23 that i have?  I think they are available for sale?

Looking for options here...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Try calling the installer directly and find out what they have in stock.  They may or may not tell you much but it's about the only way you can find out what you're likely to get.

Unless there is some reason you specifically need an HR44 (Wi-Fi for instance) I wouldn't refuse the HR34.  The HR44 is faster but the HR34 is no slouch either.  Mine is marginally faster than my HR24.

I think you'll be happy with either Genie but the choice is yours. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Long story short...my 2009 HR 23 died on thursday. I cam home from work and went into the theater room and i smelled burnt electronics, or so i suspected.  It was in fact the HR23 that must have shorted or something because it was that burnt circuit board smell.

So after about 90 minutes or so on the phone with them...may have been less, but it felt like longer, i have an install appt on 6/19 to have my new "genie" installed.

I didn't specifically request the HR44 at the time, because i did not know anything about what models were available, i assumed Genie menant newest box available. And i did request that i get the newest model that DTV sells and they seaid that would not be a problem. Ha-ha i am so naive.

So i call them up this morning to ask what model i would be getting, and the first guy said that he sure hopes i am getting the much newer and improved HR44. And that yes it was available in my area (Vermont) and that he would transfer me to the order desk to have them confirm that the HR44 was in fact the unit i would be getting...all was going so well.

Then i talked to the order desk...yes you are getting the genie they said, and yes there is only one model genie so you have nothing to worry about. I then said , well is the the HR44? And they said no it was the HR34. 

So after 20 minutes of being stonewalled and excalting the call...i am no closer to knowing what will show up on wednesday and there seems to be nothing they can do other than mark on the order that customer has requested the HR44. And they suggested i call them first thing in the morning to do a field call which they say they can talk to the installer and request a HR44. 

So if he shows up with a HR34 ...should i refuse it? Or should i just accept it and if i hate it,  then go out and buy a HR44 and move the HR34 to my second TV room, replacing another HR23 that i have?  I think they are available for sale?

I have a HR34-700 and like Mike posted it's no slouch. The only added features the HR44 has are the external power supply, internet Wi-Fi, RF compatibility with the RC71 remote, optical audio out, and a slightly faster processor. So unless any or all of the added features are a must for you the HR34-700 will suffice.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   miniSQ

miniSQ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks guys...i think the main reason i want the HR-44 is that it is smaller, and has an emergency type fan built in.  The spot where it is going is a bit tighter than i would like...so i size is an issue. Also for sure the wifi would give me the ability to put a TV in my bedroom finally. 

My daughter recently got the genie and she says it is really fast...much faster than her last DVR , which was faster than my HR23. I fB messaged her to tell me if it is the 34 or the 44...no word back yet.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

then go out and buy a HR44 and move the HR34 to my second TV room, replacing another HR23 that i have? I think they are available for sale?

FYI, you cannot have two Genies on one account, as least as of now

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thanks guys...i think the main reason i want the HR-44 is that it is smaller, and has an emergency type fan built in.  The spot where it is going is a bit tighter than i would like...so i size is an issue. Also for sure the wifi would give me the ability to put a TV in my bedroom finally. 

My daughter recently got the genie and she says it is really fast...much faster than her last DVR , which was faster than my HR23. I fB messaged her to tell me if it is the 34 or the 44...no word back yet.

Unless I am mistaken the WiFi is only for connecting the unit / system to the internet.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   miniSQ

miniSQ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Unless I am mistaken the WiFi is only for connecting the unit / system to the internet.

woops...was mistaken on that then...i thought there was a client box that connected via wifi...i really have done no research on this stuff...2 days ago i was happy as a clam with my HR23.

#8 OFFLINE   miniSQ

miniSQ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

FYI, you cannot have two Genies on one account, as least as of now Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

again...sorry, i am totally without a clue here...time for me to do some reading before wednesday morning. Thanks!!

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

woops...was mistaken on that then...i thought there was a client box that connected via wifi...i really have done no research on this stuff...2 days ago i was happy as a clam with my HR23.

There is one to to be rumored, but there is no signs of when is coming out, and if will ever come out
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   miniSQ

miniSQ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

Well installation day is here, and i have the 8am until noon window. I was told on the phone Saturday that i should call into DirectTV before 7am on the day of the install and they would call the installer for me to insure that at HR-44 was coming to my house.

Strike 1...you can't talk to anyone at directTV until after 8. So i am going to try and call the lathm NY installer company that i believe came out to my house 4 years ago...its a long shot.

#11 OFFLINE   miniSQ

miniSQ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

Strike 2 and 3....installer called....no HR44...and they wont have one for at least a month. But he thinks thats good because he says the HR34 is  better unit...fml. :sure:

#12 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

Strike 2 and 3....installer called....no HR44...and they wont have one for at least a month. But he thinks thats good because he says the HR34 is  better unit...fml. :sure:

Well he's wrong....and since he does not have HR44s, how would he know??

#13 OFFLINE   miniSQ

miniSQ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

Well he's wrong....and since he does not have HR44s, how would he know??

exactly my fml repsonse.

He is here now..switching me from a legacy hookup to a swm connection and he seems to know what he's doing...so i just have to be resigned to the fact that you can't always get what you want....

#14 OFFLINE   mrjacobrussell

mrjacobrussell

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

exactly my fml repsonse.

He is here now..switching me from a legacy hookup to a swm connection and he seems to know what he's doing...so i just have to be resigned to the fact that you can't always get what you want....

Just turn off power saving and you should will be fine.

HR44-C41-HR24
Rackable NM46X, 2 x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2.4ghz 16GB Ram

- You Stay Classy San Deigo. :goodjob:

#15 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

But he thinks thats good because he says the HR34 is  better unit...fml. :sure:

The model that someone has in stock is always "better" than the unit that they don't have in stock.  When the installation company only has HR-44's they will instantly be comet "the better unit".

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

...so i just have to be resigned to the fact that you can't always get what you want....

right on, specially when offered free of charge
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

When switching from a legacy 2 tuner installation to SWIM, do they run new cables or just use 1 of the 2? After SWIM, the other legacy DVR's in the house are unaffected or do they need upgrading?

thx

bob

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

When switching from a legacy 2 tuner installation to SWIM, do they run new cables or just use 1 of the 2? After SWIM, the other legacy DVR's in the house are unaffected or do they need upgrading?

thx

bob

They (most of the time) use one of the two cables. I like to use the second cable to connect the power inserter . Only R16 SD DVR is SWM compatible any others will need to be replaced
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Only R16 SD DVR is SWM compatible any others will need to be replaced

Is this Gospel?? We have 2 older HD DVR's in the house that we had no intention of replacing ???

bob

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Only R16 SD DVR is SWM compatible any others will need to be replaced

Is this Gospel?? We have 2 older HD DVR's in the house that we had no intention of replacing ???

bob

as long as those HDDVRs are the HR2X series, you are golden! HR10 would have to be replaced
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall