Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alaska/Hawaii Dish install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   berniec

berniec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

okay so i ordered the 99/101/103 LNB, Alaska dish and associated back, and non-pen mount and tried to set it up today... with no luck.  I've done plenty of SL3/5 installs so i know what the steps are here - tried just setting to 101 and doing 'sweeps' at different elevations one nut turn at a time - no joy.  I tried this both with the dish at 0 degrees tilt  (figuring that if nothing else it would at least see 101 and i could start dialing things in from there) and 60 deg which is what the SL3 tilt setting is for my area.

my questions are: 

does anyone see something i'm missing here- the SWM8 that i was using for this is what all my receivers use normally and once back connected to my SL3 LNB works fine.

Is there a different skew setting for the alaska/hawaii dishes?  if so how does one figure out what it is (zip is 07086)

the only thing i can possibly think of is a bad LNB out of the box? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Curious why you are using the big dish in NJ...?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   berniec

berniec

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Curious why you are using the big dish in NJ...?

added signal to combat rain fade.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Do you live in a community (HOA, Condo, city, etc.) that has any type of dish restrictions?

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

so you are going from a "legacy" LNB to a SWM8 switch. is that right? if so you must repeat the satellite set up and specify SWM as your switch type
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   berniec

berniec

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Do you live in a community (HOA, Condo, city, etc.) that has any type of dish restrictions?

No

#7 OFFLINE   berniec

berniec

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

so you are going from a "legacy" LNB to a SWM8 switch. is that right? if so you must repeat the satellite set up and specify SWM as your switch type

I i was already using a legacy SL3 connected to the SWM8 prior to getting the bigger dish so the dish setup remains the same.

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

A dish that's roughly 4x bigger will add 6 db to your S/N ratio. Rain fade drops your signal by 30 to 40 db. It may add a tiny bit of margin, but the types of storms that induce rain fade will still give you rain fade. At best, it might start a minute later and end a minute sooner.

If a bigger dish really made a difference, don't you think every sports bar and apartment building that is wired for Directv in every apartment would be sporting a 1.2 meter dish on the roof, instead of the regular one?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,162 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

What slice1900 says is correct;

Rainfades are deep chasms in signal strength where unless you're talking about installing monsters like the commercial uplink dishes pictured in my avatar or something, you will not gain any noticeable improvement in rainfade performance with the fringe area reception Al/Hi dish.

But anyhow, if you indeed have everything hooked-up correctly; LNB--->SWM-8--->splitter--->receivers and PI properly connected to the SWM module through either of its options and working, then perhaps you do need to try another LNB as that one should be receiving something, yet appears completely dead.      

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...