Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! New genie, client, and geniego install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

So I called and got upgraded to hi def service. Started with a single R22 and had that replaced with a HR44 and added a client in another room. They changed the lnb, added swim 4 splitter, swim power inserter, broadband deca, and set up whole house DVR. They were supposed to install aGenieGo, but due to some confusion, they didn't install it. I called and they shipped me one for self install. Up to that point, everything was good, but when I hooked it up, I got a trouble light on the GenieGo and I lost Internet on the HR44 , and I can't find the GenieGo through the app. I had the GenieGo plugged into the same switch as the deca. When I disconnect the GenieGo, I get network back on the HR44. I tried to plug the GenieGo into a different switch I have in a different part of the house and I didn't loose network on the HR44, and I can find the GenieGo with the app, but it won't see the HR44. Any ideas? As we all know,we usually get more accurate and reliable info here, compared to calling tech support.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,451 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Sometimes time fixes this sort, but if quitting and relaunching the app does nothing, try a menu reset of the DVR... 

Can you also describe more fully how it was cable originally? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

After the tech install... Single wire from lnb to splitter. Off of the splitter...One coax went to HR44 in living room. One coax to client in sun porch. One coax to deca at the network switch in the basement near the swim splitter. One coax to the power inserter in the living room. With that setup, the DVR and client were working ok and I had a good network connection. When i got it, I put the nomad in the basement on the same switch as the deca.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's this latter "same switch as the DECA" that has me wondering what sort of switch you mean. 

In any event, with it directly tied into your network now, and having done the resets, are you up and running? 

#5 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

That would be the linksys network switch that is connected to the cable modem.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

The GenieGo is just like another networked device. It should not matter where it is connected on the network. I am curious as to why you have the PI off on its own coax. Do you have another receiver in the LR where the PI is?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,293 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

usually a switch must connect to a router and not directly to your modem. A router provides DHCP and a switch does not. Perhaps you have a gateway?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

The GenieGo is just like another networked device. It should not matter where it is connected on the network. I am curious as to why you have the PI off on its own coax. Do you have another receiver in the LR where the PI is?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

I always prefer to have the PI by itself an not use the "signal to IRD" port. In the TS case, they might of have two cable to the R22 to begin with, is this is a nice opportunity isolate the PI by using one of the two cables that was feeding the R22
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

My cable modem is the router...provides wireless as well a single ethernet port, which my linksys switch plugs into.  I broke down and called tech support, and they were a little helpfull in that they explained that the installing technician didn't really know what he was doing. It sounds like having the deca installed is completely not needed when using the Genie, and it was causing conflict with my GenieGo.  I removed the deca and used the built in wireless on the Genie and now the GenieGo is working.  I did have two wires feeding my old R22, so I assume that is why he put the PI in the living room(which I plan on moving to a more appropriate location).  As I learn more about how all this works together, I have the opinion that the installer isn't really up to speed on the the new technology that he is installing.  Case in point...using the broadband deca instead of using the HR44's internal networking hardware, and cluttering up the back of my entertainment center with the PI, that easily could have been mounted in the basement with my swim splitter.  Thanks for the help. 

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

I much prefer the wired solution. 

Did you try the re-set with ethernet cable attached and no other DECA?

#11 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

I to prefer a wire solution, and I did try to re-set after hooking up an ethernet, but it is still using the wireless.  It didn't automatically use ethernet, so I may have to temporarily disable the wireless to get it working.  I'm going to mess with it some more after the Hockey game.  GO 'HAWKS!!!

#12 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

I much prefer the wired solution.

Did you try the re-set with ethernet cable attached and no other DECA?

IMHO, no home theater (video) gear should be connected wireless. In my house if (a device) has an ethernet port, it is being used regardless if it has a wireless option as well.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall