Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contract Coming up for renewal...suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DKNY330

DKNY330

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Have 2 months left before 24 month contract is up. Cable is calling me furiously and offering ridiculous deals, but I am happy with DirecTV. We have 5 HD DVR's and 3 HD boxes.

Any suggestions on negotiating new contract? New equipment I should be asking for, etc. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,356 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Have 2 months left before 24 month contract is up. Cable is calling me furiously and offering ridiculous deals, but I am happy with DirecTV. We have 5 HD DVR's and 3 HD boxes.

Any suggestions on negotiating new contract? New equipment I should be asking for, etc. Thanks

If you have the Protection Plan you may be eligible for a free upgrade. It never hurts to ask but don't assume your "entitled" to freebies just because your 24 month commitment is about up. As for the ridiculous deals cable is offering it's your choice if you want to downgrade to them. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Try to get as much as you can out of DirecTV. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just tell them that your cable company is offering XYZ deal. Depending on where you live cable might not be a downgrade, but make sure you read the fine print of any cable/sat contract.

#4 ONLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Actually, it isn't a contract that is expiring, it's a 2yr commitment.

You don't need to negotiate anything, just keep your current programming package and enjoy DirecTV.

You can change your programming without the need to invoke a new commitment.

• joe58 likes this
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   DKNY330

DKNY330

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

I do have the protection plan so I suppose I can upgrade to the new Genie, but if I do is it a new 2 year commitment?

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yes

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Actually, it isn't a contract that is expiring, it's a 2yr commitment.
You don't need to negotiate anything, just keep your current programming package and enjoy DirecTV.
You can change your programming without the need to invoke a new commitment.

Right on! agreed

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Just call them up and ask them what deals they can offer you.  You aren't happy with the pricing and you're getting offers from other companies.  They will offer you something that you'll like or they won't.  But you also have to be willing to walk away.  It's the only way to get what you want in a negotiation.  

Over the years i've switched many times from direct to dish and back again.   All to get the best deals.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Over the years i've switched many times from direct to dish and back again. All to get the best deals.

While for some playing this "game" is ok, for others is not. at least for me

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Right on! agreed

So you're saying it's not a contract, it's a "commitment"?  That's interesting, because in this other thread you called it a contract:

"I would think it makes sense since the contract was singed by the person who passed away. I not a lawyer but I would assume that a contract that was singed by a deceased person would hold no weight in court."

There are lots of different kinds of contracts, and even though DirecTV and others may refer to it as a "commitment," it is also a contract, with two parties who have each agreed to do various things.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

The point is that it doesn't have to be renegotiated. In many contracts, once the term is up, the contract has to be renegotiated, like when DirecTV renegotiates with a channel provider. Unless we want new hardware, there is no need to do that. DirecTV is perfectly fine with us going month to month at the end.

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

The "Contract" and "Committment".  The Terms of Service are really a contract.  You agree that you will return leased equipement when you cancel service.  You agree not to run give one of your receivers to a friend or relative so they can mooch off of your account, etc...   This "contract" exists for as long as you're a DirecTV customer.

You can be a DirecTV customer without a Committment.  When you get new equipment from DirecTV, you agree to a two year committment, where you agree to pay a penalty if you cancel service before that two years is up.  Once your inital 2 year period is up, you will no longer be required to maintan service for a given period of time.  You will be able to continue to subscribe to DirecTV's service for as long as you want and can cancel any time that you want.  Some people will use this status as leverage in order to get programming credits and/or discounts (which wouldn't trigger a new committment).  Others attept to use the status to get discounted or free equipment (which would trigger a new committment).  And others just continue to watch and enjoy DirecTV, just like they have for the previous two years.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 18 June 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

So you're saying it's not a contract, it's a "commitment"? That's interesting, because in this other thread you called it a contract:

".

You can change your programming without the need to invoke a new commitment

I was agreeing to the above comment

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

While for some playing this "game" is ok, for others is not. at least for me

Why not?

#15 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

You can change your programming without the need to invoke a new commitment

I was agreeing to the above comment

Well yes you can keep your package but why pay full price?  It's always a good idea to negotiate a better deal.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

is very inconvenient to remember new channel line ups, be there for appointment and etc.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Well yes you can keep your package but why pay full price?  It's always a good idea to negotiate a better deal.

Why is it a good idea?  To save money?  I look for value in what I get.  If I don't find enough value to constitute the price, I don't subscribe to it.  If I do find the value in it, I pay for it.  I don't expect any company to pay part of my services for me.  For me, this is in all manors of life.

• joe58 likes this
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

is very inconvenient to remember new channel line ups, be there for appointment and etc.

Yeah, that would drive me crazy. Whenever I have an installer come, I wonder if he'll be able to do the job without having to come back once or twice (or three times), or if I'd see him drive off without letting me know he'll be back. I don't know enough about Dish's system to tell the installer what to do. Plus I'd need two Hoppers.

Overall I think they charge a fair price. I do think HBO is too expensive, but am carrying it for a while for series. But that's the going rate for HBO.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, that would drive me crazy. Whenever I have an installer come, I wonder if he'll be able to do the job without having to come back once or twice (or three times), or if I'd see him drive off without letting me know he'll be back. I don't know enough about Dish's system to tell the installer what to do. Plus I'd need two Hoppers.

Overall I think they charge a fair price. I do think HBO is too expensive, but am carrying it for a while for series. But that's the going rate for HBO.

Right, it baffles me how some think that playing these "games" is fun, even it it means saving a few hundred a year

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

I would call and speak to the retention department and see what they can do if you are looking to save some money.. A friend of mine just called in because his contract was expiring, but the cost was about to go up.. He asked when it was expiring and they said next month, then they wanted to know why he was wondering and he told them.. He ended up getting a Free upgrade to the Genie HR44, he got the NFL Sunday Ticket for free this year and got $25 off for the next 12 months. Of course it extended his contract for another 2 years but he was pretty happy.. 

spam firewall