Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contract Coming up for renewal...suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Doesn't matter if it's labelled "MSRP" or not. Same goes for TVs and most other items that are more than a few dollars.

Manufacturer's Suggested Retial Price.  How does that not matter?  D* has standard rates and the automotive industry does not(at least in this case).  They have a standard in which to start with then negotiating begins.  D* charges everyone in the country to same amount for the packages(excluding $2 regional sports fee) regardless of the cost of living in that area.

Edited by goinsleeper, 19 June 2013 - 05:57 PM.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Somewhat but not quite, discounts rely on your account history and other factors. Though I feel if you can not afford something then you should downsize what you have. Some of these customers are people who spend thousands of dollars a year buying stuff like cigarrettes but then gripe the bill is too high I can't afford it give me a discount. Prioritize your financial budget folks.

I don't smoke or drink so I get a discount, right. If you want to pay full price go right ahead but I intend to take every penny they will give me.

#43 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

I don't smoke or drink so I get a discount, right. If you want to pay full price go right ahead but I intend to take every penny they will give me.

May as well, cause they'll take whatever they can get from you.. lol

I agree with your approach.. 

#44 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

That come with basically no channels.. lol.. All it takes is to like one main channel, like NHL Network and you are required to get pretty much the highest package.

The customer has to decide whether that one or two channels is worth it.

#45 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

The customer has to decide whether that one or two channels is worth it.

Even with the lowest package, at full price it would still be pushing $100/mo, with my setup at least. 

#46 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Manufacturer's Suggested Retial Price.  How does that not matter?  D* has standard rates and the automotive industry does not(at least in this case).  They have a standard in which to start with then negotiating begins.  D* charges everyone in the country to same amount for the packages(excluding $2 regional sports fee) regardless of the cost of living in that area.

All I'm saying is that everything is negotiable regardless of how the price is advertised. It doesn't matter if it's a standard price or MSRP. If the seller is motivated to move product or services then they'll negotiate.

#47 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

Even with the lowest package, at full price it would still be pushing $100/mo, with my setup at least. 

That must mean you have several extra receiver fees....probably someplace else people could save money if they needed to. 

#48 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Luxury is always expensive.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#49 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

The company's #1 priority is to maximize shareholder value. Why shouldn't consumers do the same thing? When I buy a car I negotiate to get the best possible deal. Is that morally wrong? 

They say a fool and his money are soon parted.  I believe that if you don't try to get the best price on anything, including D*, you must be a fool.  There are some posters here that don't think people should negotiate.  I don't understand that logic.  If D* is willing to give out discounts and you don't take advantage of them, there's something wrong with you. What do you care that the product is devalued.

In the case of cars, one has to watch dealers carefully.  They put people through a system.  They offer you a discount, but further down the line, they've added some BS charge.  The finance guys are also pretty tricky.  It's up to you to stay on top of it until you sign on the dotted line. 

The point is, one can live paycheck to paycheck or one can have good financial sense.  It's not always about being able to afford something or not.  It's about how far you can make your dollar go.

Edited by n3vino, 20 June 2013 - 07:12 AM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#50 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

They say a fool and his money are soon parted.  I believe that if you don't try to get the best price on anything, including D*, you must be a fool.  There are some posters here that don't think people should negotiate.  I don't understand that logic.  If D* is willing to give out discounts and you don't take advantage of them, there's something wrong with you. What do you care that the product is devalued.

In the case of cars, one has to watch dealers carefully.  They put people through a system.  They offer you a discount, but further down the line, they've added some BS charge.  The finance guys are also pretty tricky.  It's up to you to stay on top of it until you sign on the dotted line. 

The point is, one can live paycheck to paycheck or one can have good financial sense.  It's not always about being able to afford something or not.  It's about how far you can make your dollar go.

Neither do I, it makes no sense to me. But I guess if they are fine paying $300 for leased equipment that they don't even own and $150+/mo, so be it I suppose lol. I don't even understand why this is even a discussion, it boggles my mind and doesn't make sense. 

#51 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

That must mean you have several extra receiver fees....probably someplace else people could save money if they needed to. 

I have 1 HR44-500 and 3 C41-700

I'm not complaining about the cost, yet. I'm a new customer, whose only had it for about 4 months.. 

Without discounts my setup would cost something like -

Choice Ultimate - $77.99

Advanced Receiver Monthly - $25

Receiver fees - $18

Tax - $1.44

Full price would be $122.43 - Without any movie channels or anything, I don't see the value I'm getting for that kind of money. My local Cable company just changed their policy within the last year (Charter Communications) and I think it would be a great model to go off of. They give you a year 1 and year 2 price and that's that.. But, they also incorporated a lot more value into their packages.. For example they have 3 packages to choose from - Charter Select, Charter Silver and Charter Gold, if you get the Charter Silver, which the regular price is $79.99, you get the basic and expanded basic, all TV taxes are already included in the price, (Free HD) and it also comes with HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.. Now, that in my opinion, is value for the money. Now, I still like DIRECTV more because I just don't care for Cable, I think the technology is way behind Satellite, but that is a good model to go off of in my opinion.. Here's the link to it - http://www.charter.com/tvpackages

So, at full price... With the Charter TV Silver with 4 HD DVR's at full price, I would be paying - $79.99 for Silver, $20 in receiver fees and $20 in DVR fees, so in total $119.99 with much more.. But I like my DIRECTV so it's not even in question, just showing an example of something DIRECTV could lead off of that could incorporate more value for the money, but some already believe they are getting enough value for the money so I guess it just depends who you talk to. 

#52 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

I love the fallacy here.  "Tom is a boy.  Tom wears hats.  John is a boy.  John must also wear hats."

You say you feel people who do not negotiate are fools then say you can't comprehend why someone wouldn't negotiate.  I get where you're coming from that you would rather save money.  My point is just the integrity of one paying for what one wants, especially when it comes to a luxury.  I think most of this mindset comes from being an American.  I've had friends from overseas that don't grasp the concept of negotiating prices when it comes to a paid service, whether television or some form of contracted work.  If you were having an addition built onto your house, you'll be quoted a price.  I haven't met many(if any) contractors who negotiate that price.

Edited by goinsleeper, 20 June 2013 - 01:38 PM.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#53 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

$79.99 for Silver

If that's the regular price and not the 1st or 2nd year price, that's pretty nice.  The only real downside I see with their setup is if the silver doesn't work for you and you need to drop to Charter Select, there's either a large difference in programming or there's not enough savings to matter.  I like the way it's packaged but I think they would do better to have more than 3 options for all customers.

#54 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

If that's the regular price and not the 1st or 2nd year price, that's pretty nice.  The only real downside I see with their setup is if the silver doesn't work for you and you need to drop to Charter Select, there's either a large difference in programming or there's not enough savings to matter.  I like the way it's packaged but I think they would do better to have more than 3 options for all customers.

Yeah, the $79.99 is the regular price. Since they bundle internet/telephone/TV it starts out at $109.97 (For Silver) for year one. Goes up $20 for year two ($129.97) and then goes to standard price, but that's for a bundle. Just depends on what all you want really. They don't offer a ton of options, I guess they just figure the three they have covers it. They also only have two internet speeds to choose from which is 30mbps or 100mbps, which I kind of wish they had more options.. But they want people getting fast speeds.. They did away with the discounts because they said all it did was cause problems and they wanted to make it more simplistic for everybody. 

Edited by DR2420, 20 June 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Doesn't matter. Totally not where I was going with that--I was pointing out the irony of people spending money on those type of things then going around griping they can not afford something as their tv bill as they do not know how to balance their wallet. Calling in for discounts can only go so far as that is a temporary solution. And I love how someone brought up negotating for a car because it is nothing like that really. As in X Amount of Months from now your negotiated price isn't going to end and the car payments are going to go up, no of course not, cause that is similar to what is going to happend when you call in and ask for discounts. I like negotating myself, I just do not see the point if that price is going to go up a couple of months from now. I had customers who called in wanting discounts and were pleased with me giving them 5 off for 3 months and I am like really? How are you living if you can not afford an extra 5.00 for 3 months? lol.

One thing I was thinking the company should do is give discounts for existing companies accross the board. Like a discount for all customers every other year or so.

Edited by Volatility, 20 June 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

One thing I was thinking the company should do is give discounts for existing companies accross the board. Like a discount for all customers every other year or so.

That's kind of what they tried a couple of years ago with "anniversary gifts".  The problem was (at least for me) that these "gifts" were for things that I didn't want or need.

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Right, like some got free Sunday Ticket and others got free Game Center. 

#58 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

That's kind of what they tried a couple of years ago with "anniversary gifts". The problem was (at least for me) that these "gifts" were for things that I didn't want or need.

I was there when they did that and people would call in to swap it with something else. I didn't mean something like free sports package for 3 months, I meant a small base package discount everyone could enjoy. Though that's probably not plausible for the company lol.

Edited by Volatility, 21 June 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

While for some playing this "game" is ok, for others is not. at least for me

Does sound like a royal PITA.  

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Ever try that at a Chevy dealership?  I did recently.  Looked at a Transverse ($41,000) and was told they don't haggle.  The price is what the sticker says.  Drove the Transverse and it is woefully underpowered.  Was told by the salesman that I was the first person to say that.  Great big SUV with a 6 in it.  GMC's Acadia is the same.  The GMC dealer seemed more willing to haggle, tho.  Can't imagine why they put sixes in them.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...