Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contract Coming up for renewal...suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ever try that at a Chevy dealership?  I did recently.  Looked at a Transverse ($41,000) and was told they don't haggle.  The price is what the sticker says.  Drove the Transverse and it is woefully underpowered.  Was told by the salesman that I was the first person to say that.  Great big SUV with a 6 in it.  GMC's Acadia is the same.  The GMC dealer seemed more willing to haggle, tho.  Can't imagine why they put sixes in them.

Rich

It's kinda funny how the business changes.  You see more and more automotive dealers saying they don't haggle then other companies who have set prices who are willing to haggle.  You can even haggle at places like Home Depot even though they have fixed prices.  The haggling takes more effort in that case, but you can do it.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

You can even haggle at places like Home Depot even though they have fixed prices. The haggling takes more effort in that case, but you can do it.

But only if you buy in bulk, which is understandable
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#63 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

But only if you buy in bulk, which is understandable

I am not true about Home Depot, but when I worked at Lowe's you could haggle the prices on the shelves even if you did not buy in bulk as long as you could prove you could get it cheaper elsewhere. But it had to be by the same manufacturer. Also you could negotiate the items on the discount rack they had when I worked at one. Or items that weren't selling could be negotatiated on. Pretty fun actually lol.

Edited by Volatility, 21 June 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

I am not true about Home Depot, but when I worked at Lowe's you could haggle the prices on the shelves even if you did not buy in bulk as long as you could prove you could get it cheaper elsewhere. .

That is called price match guarantee, which is offered in many big box stores. this is not "hagglin"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#65 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

That is called price match guarantee, which is offered in many big box stores. this is not "hagglin"

It is somewhat but mostly the other stuff I typed. You only quoted a small portion of what I had :)

Edited by Volatility, 21 June 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Why is it a good idea?  To save money?  I look for value in what I get.  If I don't find enough value to constitute the price, I don't subscribe to it.  If I do find the value in it, I pay for it.  I don't expect any company to pay part of my services for me.  For me, this is in all manors of life.

This concept was the way people and companies did business....in the 20th century.  Not anymore.

Everything is a "negotiation" today.  People negotiate deals on airline tickets, cars, satellite radio & TV, cell phones, major ticket purchases, etc.  Most major retailers have "price match" guarantees.  To sit back and just pay full price is no longer how it's done unless you are a millionaire or a CEO and have so much money you don't need to consider how much you spend.  In fact, I think companies "suggested retail price" takes into consideration that many customers won't be paying it.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#67 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

This concept was the way people and companies did business....in the 20th century.  Not anymore.

Everything is a "negotiation" today.  People negotiate deals on airline tickets, cars, satellite radio & TV, cell phones, major ticket purchases, etc.  Most major retailers have "price match" guarantees.  To sit back and just pay full price is no longer how it's done unless you are a millionaire or a CEO and have so much money you don't need to consider how much you spend.  In fact, I think companies "suggested retail price" takes into consideration that many customers won't be paying it.

I have to disagree with that as people in the high level income bracket, like millionaires, tend to be extremely cheap with how they spend their money as they want to stay rich so they hold onto their money best way they can. Alot of people who win the lottery end up going broke and worse than they were before because they do not understand money management.

Edited by Volatility, 21 June 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#68 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have to disagree with that as people in the high level income bracket, like millionaires, tend to be extremely cheap with how they spend their money as they want to stay rich so they hold onto their money best way they can. Alot of people who win the lottery end up going broke and worse than they were before because they do not understand money management.

I think you have a point there.  I'm extremely frugal, for the most part.  I wish my wife was.  I will say this:  I don't think being a millionaire is that big a distinction anymore.

Rich

#69 OFFLINE   DKNY330

DKNY330

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

Have 2 months left before 24 month contract is up. Cable is calling me furiously and offering ridiculous deals, but I am happy with DirecTV. We have 5 HD DVR's and 3 HD boxes.
Any suggestions on negotiating new contract? New equipment I should be asking for, etc. Thanks

Finally took care of this and it's worth the call. $40 per month savings on what I currently have for one year plus NFL Sunday ticket Maxx free and getting Genie plus 3 Genie clients to replace some of what I have now and all including installation for free. I also decided to bundle and switch Internet and phone providers and will save an additional $15/mo on my DirecTV bill - will also save $20 with new Internet/phone with much higher speed. That's a total of $95/mo if you add up everything - TV, NFL Sunday and internet/phone. Rep from DirecTV was great, in fact beyond great and so easy to work with and all I had to do was ask. Happy to stay with DirecTV!

#70 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

If you want to upgrade to a newer receiver then call and talk to them. Don't give up if you don't get what you want the first call. Most of the time the first csr you talk to will not give you the best deal. If you don't want a new receiver then just stick with what you got. I can say that the Genie is worth the upgrade if you record a lot of shows. That's my 2 cents worth.
B00BOO

#71 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'm a customer for only 2 years.

Internet bundle folks require me to disconnect from ATT uverse then reconnect thru Directv for my  ATT Uverse 24 meg service.

It took ATT 1 month and 7 service calls to get it right the last time, I'm afraid of the melee happening again. (The horror)

They lowered my bill $30 / month, no reduction in services, basically almost offset the NFL ST for this season. :righton:

It doesn't hurt to try, "customer service rep" Jim" was great.   :up:

"Bundled service rep" Britney is a deaf, ignorant, narcisistic !@#$%^ waste of oxygen. :down:

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SL3LNB-SWM16

spam firewall