Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing HR44 from wireless Connection to Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAggieland, Texas

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just had my HR44-500 installed last week.  They also installed three C41-700 clients and one HR24-100 (replacing an HR20).  The HR20 and the HR44 are shared.  The installer said he couldn't do a wired Ethernet connection on the HR44 even though I had the Ethernet connection right there.  He said for Whole Home, he had to use the built in wireless. 

A wireless connection (at least mine) is too slow.  I've been waiting an hour for a movie to download.  When I had my HR20 wired, it was almost instant.  I want to do a wired connection on the HR44.  I tried to just connect my Ethernet cable but it continues to use the wireless connection.

Can I switch to the wired Ethernet connection without loosing whole home and sharing with my HR24?  If so how? I haven't been able to find how to get the HR44 to recognize the Ethernet connection and ignore the wireless connection.  I haven't dug too deep into the network setting for fear I may mess up the whole home settings. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Well first this may not be your issue and likely isn't, but, to switch to wired is actually far easier than your think. Plug it in and then hit the red button or do a menu restart. It will grab the wired upon a reboot instead of wireless. No settings to change.

And it won't affect anything else. Your Whole Home Service will work fine after switching. The hr44 acts like a bridge unlike the hr 2x units.

#3 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Nope, didn't work.  In Settings>Info & Test>More System Info under Network it says Wireless: connected  Ethernet: Deactivated (Wireless Configured).  I suspect I will have to go into network setup and manually do this but I not really confident in dong it correct.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Can you turn off the wireless of your router and then try it ?

This way it would not have a signal to lock onto.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 June 2013 - 08:25 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

My understanding is the HR44 has an "internal CCk" that works wirelessly. To connect the HR44 using Ethernet, do I need an external CCK or can I just plug the Ethernet into the HR44 and change a setting somewhere?

#6 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Jimmie, I may try that but the fact that it is indicating the Ethernet is "deactivated" makes me think I need to change a setting.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

It would possibly do that. It might be programmed to look for a wireless connection first and if it finds one it deactivates the Ethernet connection.

I do not know this, just guessing here.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 June 2013 - 08:48 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

My understanding is the HR44 has an "internal CCk" that works wirelessly. To connect the HR44 using Ethernet, do I need an external CCK or can I just plug the Ethernet into the HR44 and change a setting somewhere?

Connecting an ethernet cable a doing a red button reset will disable the built in wireless and connect using the ethernet
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

I found this on the solid signal site.

The HR44 Genie DVR gives you options you didn’t have before. The HR34 could act as its own Cinema Connection Kit -- in other words run ethernet into it and it would provide internet service to all your other receivers. The HR44 does this too, but it takes networking a step further. It includes a wireless adapter built in so that you can disconnect your cinema connection kit altogether and connect to your router wirelessly!

The setup function is built into the "Connect Now" menu when you are first setting up the DVR.

If you want to use it with a cinema connection kit, because you’re not in wi-fi range, you have that option as well.

The HR44 will behave perfectly, configuring itself automatically for your existing DIRECTV network. Streamlining the network connection process is very important for new installs, and if you’re the sort who doesn’t like looking at extra black boxes, it’s important to you as well.

There have been various rumors that there will be a truly wireless DIRECTV receiver, one that doesn’t need a coaxial cable. This isn’t that receiver, and the folks at the Consumer Electronics Show weren’t talking, but putting wireless networking in the DVR certainly points to something like that in the future. Oh well, we will have to be patient...

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

There is no setting to change it. Maybe you are having network issues from your router or something. Once you plug in the hr44 via Ethernet cable if you reboot it will ignore the wifi. Trust me in this one I have done it plenty if times. ;)

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

I found this on the solid signal site.

The HR44 Genie DVR gives you options you didn’t have before. The HR34 could act as its own Cinema Connection Kit -- in other words run ethernet into it and it would provide internet service to all your other receivers. The HR44 does this too, but it takes networking a step further. It includes a wireless adapter built in so that you can disconnect your cinema connection kit altogether and connect to your router wirelessly!

The setup function is built into the "Connect Now" menu when you are first setting up the DVR.
If you want to use it with a cinema connection kit, because you’re not in wi-fi range, you have that option as well.
The HR44 will behave perfectly, configuring itself automatically for your existing DIRECTV network. Streamlining the network connection process is very important for new installs, and if you’re the sort who doesn’t like looking at extra black boxes, it’s important to you as well.

There have been various rumors that there will be a truly wireless DIRECTV receiver, one that doesn’t need a coaxial cable. This isn’t that receiver, and the folks at the Consumer Electronics Show weren’t talking, but putting wireless networking in the DVR certainly points to something like that in the future. Oh well, we will have to be patient...

The only point in adding a separate DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit is if you don't have an Ethernet cable next to the unit. Plugging in Ethernet directly works as well as wifi.

Basically the hr44 has a wired and wireless DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit built in and it gives priority to the hard wired automatically if its plugged in. Something else is causing his issue.

#12 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

peds48, I'll try it again. It didn't work the first time I tried. I'll also reset the router and modem too

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Do you have anything else you can plug into the Ethernet cable to make sure it's working right?

#14 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Yea. I'm going to plug in my laptop and see. I'm recording two shows now so I'm gonna wait to do the reset.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Yea. I'm going to plug in my laptop and see. I'm recording two shows now so I'm gonna wait to do the reset.

Make sure the WiFi is off
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Might you also have a wired DECA somewhere in the system? Anyway a reboot should cure it if the ethernet cable and ports are solid. 

Good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

I never had to change any settings to get wired working. I just plugged in the ethernet cable. 

JACK,

#18 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have my HR44 and 24 Ethernet wired connected, the same way I had the HR22 connected also, So the tech should just connect the Ethernet that was already there for both boxes and leave it at that, I don't think the tech went on the menu for network setup since it was already configured with an IP address, It so much faster on MRV from 44 than the HR22 playing back on the HR24.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#19 OFFLINE   BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I am getting a genie next week. 

If they bring out the H44 and the wireless is too slow for useful OnDemand, can I use the DECA device that I was using before I sent back one of my DVRs? It is a little rectangular device that is connected to my router by ethernet cable and to the SWM by coax. It was installed when they installed whole home.

#20 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,621 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

I just 'supervised' two installations of a 44 and genie clients for a friend and my MIL.  On my MIL account, they charged her $21 for a CCK.  (44 and 2 genie clients was free).

But on both, the installer brought a 44 and insisted that they had to do wireless.

At some point, I'll install a CCK on both.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...