Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing HR44 from wireless Connection to Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

IIRC the techs are being told on HR44 installs that using wireless is the preferred connection method.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Wireless is the first option to connect if this is the first time an HDDVR is connected to the internet in a customer set up. If a customer already has a Broadband DECA, that is to be used first. if the customer has a WiFI DECA, that should be removed and use the HR44 built in WiFi
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

I have my HR44 and 24 Ethernet wired connected, the same way I had the HR22 connected also, So the tech should just connect the Ethernet that was already there for both boxes and leave it at that, I don't think the tech went on the menu for network setup since it was already configured with an IP address, It so much faster on MRV from 44 than the HR22 playing back on the HR24.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

You know that there is zero reason to hook up the Ethernet cable to the HR24 if you already have your hr44 Ethernet connected. And I hope you have a bsf on the HR22. If not that could cause issues down the road.

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

I am getting a genie next week. 

If they bring out the H44 and the wireless is too slow for useful OnDemand, can I use the DECA device that I was using before I sent back one of my DVRs? It is a little rectangular device that is connected to my router by ethernet cable and to the SWM by coax. It was installed when they installed whole home.

Yes, you can use the DECA, or simply ethernet into the '44, but not both!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

I am getting a genie next week. 

If they bring out the H44 and the wireless is too slow for useful OnDemand, can I use the DECA device that I was using before I sent back one of my DVRs? It is a little rectangular device that is connected to my router by ethernet cable and to the SWM by coax. It was installed when they installed whole home.

That device should still work fine though you could eliminate it if you want.

I never had to change any settings to get wired working. I just plugged in the ethernet cable. 

Is that built straight into the firmware?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#26 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

And I hope you have a bsf on the HR22. If not that could cause issues down the road.

I replace the HR22 for the 44, but your right that the HR24 shouldn't need to be on Ethernet, since the HR44 acts as a bridge to the other boxes wirelessly, or am I wrong?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

No that's almost exactly right. And its the better way to do it as well.

It doesn't do it wirelessly, it actually runs the signal over the coax, the entire point of the deca system which is based on moca, that DIRECTV uses.

Just unplug the Ethernet cable from the HR24, reset network settings and reboot the HR24, and you should be good to go.

#28 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

I have a wired CCK.  When I got the HR44 I just plugged in the cables from the previous DVR.  If I wanted to get rid of the CCK, I would remove the CCK & just plug in an ethernet cable to the HR44 & then maybe reboot all DVR's?

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have a wired CCK.  When I got the HR44 I just plugged in the cables from the previous DVR.  If I wanted to get rid of the CCK, I would remove the CCK & just plug in an ethernet cable to the HR44 & then maybe reboot all DVR's?

Julie-

You've got that right.

#30 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

Excellent, thanks.  I'm going to do that this weekend.  The CCK is mine, right -- I could give it to someone else?

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

I do believe so! I have mine in a box in the closet, don't think anyone will ask for it back....

• Trooper likes this

#32 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Excellent, thanks.  I'm going to do that this weekend.  The CCK is mine, right -- I could give it to someone else?

It is your and you can give it to someone else.  However, I believe that I've read here that it needs to be reset in some fashion before it can be used with an account other than the one on which it was originally installed.  Hopefully someone who knows more about this can point you to the reset instructions or tell me that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and I'm remembering things that didn't actually happen.

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

The CCK is not tied to an account. In order to be used on another network, they unit must be reset by pressing and holding the red button on the back 30 seconds
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Is there any advantage in using the ethernet connection as opposed to the cck?

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Yes: Power consumption. If ethernetted directly to the box you can —and should—remove the CCK.

#36 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Is there any advantage in using the ethernet connection as opposed to the cck?

Yes: Power consumption. If ethernetted directly to the box you can —and should—remove the CCK.

A downside is if the HR44 is down then any other boxes (non RVU clients) that might be using something from the internet, like YouTube, Pandora, DoD, or GenieGo transcoding something from a HD DVR other then the HR44 will be interrupted.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#37 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAggieland, Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well, I got mine working. I had to shut everything down (modem, router, HR44). My wireless router was also my wired switch and I couldn't figure out if/how to turn of the wireless and keep the wired switch working. So, I put a switch I had laying around in the line and connected the Ethernet starchy to the HR44. I left the wireless off. Turned the modem on and booted up the HR44 and it connected via Ethernet. I turned on my wireless router and everything else connected up to it. So far so good.

#38 OFFLINE   litig8r187

litig8r187

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAggieland, Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

But as long as the HR44 was "seeing" my wireless network, I could not get it to connect via Ethernet.

#39 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

But as long as the HR44 was "seeing" my wireless network, I could not get it to connect via Ethernet.

Excellent.

Thanks for the update and glad it is working for you now.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#40 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

So my HR44 was installed using DECA even though I have ethernet hookups at each receiver location. Should I just stick with the DECA or would I see an improvement in speed/performance by switching to ethernet?

If I would, what's the process for doing that myself?

Thanks!

spam firewall