Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing HR44 from wireless Connection to Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

So my HR44 was installed using DECA even though I have ethernet hookups at each receiver location. Should I just stick with the DECA or would I see an improvement in speed/performance by switching to ethernet?

If I would, what's the process for doing that myself?

Thanks!

It would help to know the model of the other receivers 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#42 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Describe your setup so more.

Number and type of receivers, how they are hooked-up, how they are networked, any CCKs. etc.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#43 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

It would help to know the model of the other receivers 

OK, I have the HR 44 and one C41. 

I'm pretty new to this, so I can only tell you that each is hooked up only using coaxial but they're connected to the internet. And I know the installer did not use wireless because he didn't ask for my password for the network.

My FiOS router sits in my closet, and he hooked an ethernet cable from it to a DirecTV DECA that, I assume, feeds internet through coax. What else can I answer?

Basically I want to ensure I'm getting speed that's fast enough for streaming HD video. My FiOS connection is 50 down/25 up.

Thanks, y'all!

Edited by bryanw3535, 01 September 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#44 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Did he put the deca right behind the hr44? You are set perfect now for the most part. You could remove the deca and plug the Ethernet into the hr44 and have the same result if you like. All you'd be doing is removing an extra power using device it won't change speed or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#45 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Did he put the deca right behind the hr44? You are set perfect now for the most part. You could remove the deca and plug the Ethernet into the hr44 and have the same result if you like. All you'd be doing is removing an extra power using device it won't change speed or anything.

The DECA is in the closet just inches from my FiOS modem/router. 

Sounds like he set me up well. This guy knew his stuff! I was impressed as he went through the on-screen setup how fast he could move with the remote.

#46 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

So my HR44 was installed using DECA even though I have ethernet hookups at each receiver location. Should I just stick with the DECA or would I see an improvement in speed/performance by switching to ethernet?

If I would, what's the process for doing that myself?

Thanks!

What do you mean your HR44 is connected via DECA and your other receivers via Ethernet? Do you also have a CCK installed?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#47 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

What do you mean your HR44 is connected via DECA and your other receivers via Ethernet? Do you also have a CCK installed?

- Merg

I think he meant he just have the RJ45 wall plates

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#48 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Right, sorry. That was unclear. I mean I have the ability to use ethernet at both of my TV locations. The wall plates are there, but not in use. The only cords going to each box are HDMI, coax, and power.

#49 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

Right, sorry. That was unclear. I mean I have the ability to use ethernet at both of my TV locations. The wall plates are there, but not in use. The only cords going to each box are HDMI, coax, and power.

Gotcha. I would go with DECA. You'll have less cables, plus you'll be using a supported setup for DirecTV. You just need DECA adapters for your other receivers that are pre-HR24. You'll also put all your MRV traffic in the DECA cloud and isolate it from your home network.

- Merg

#50 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Gotcha. I would go with DECA. You'll have less cables, plus you'll be using a supported setup for DirecTV. You just need DECA adapters for your other receivers that are pre-HR24. You'll also put all your MRV traffic in the DECA cloud and isolate it from your home network.

- Merg

Ah, very useful info. Thanks!

#51 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I don't understand;

The TS in post #43 stated he only had an HR44 and a C41.

There's no useful option for the use of ethernet with that setup. 

EDIT: Unless he's referring to future receiver additions.  

Edited by HoTat2, 01 September 2013 - 09:50 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#52 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

I don't understand;

The TS in post #43 stated he only had an HR44 and a C41.

There's no useful option for the use of ethernet with that setup.

EDIT: Unless he's referring to future receiver additions.

Nice pick up. Yes, if all there is in the setup is an HR44 and C41 then just an Ethernet cable to the HR44 is needed. The C41 connects back to the HR44 via the coax and has access to the Internet via the Ethernet connection to the HR44.

- Merg

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,994 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

No difference in speed at all: fewer wires, off the LAN, are a couple of plusses for DECA.

Just saw there was a passle of posts between the one I replied to and this. No warning about interim posts, and this is a bit redundant. 

Edited by Laxguy, 01 September 2013 - 10:34 PM.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   bryanw3535

bryanw3535

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

No difference in speed at all. fewer wires, off the LAN, are a couple of plusses for DECA.

Thanks, all!

#55 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

Ok merg you officially made that one more difficult than needed. Get an extra beer when you get home you must be working to hard. :)

#56 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Ok merg you officially made that one more difficult than needed. Get an extra beer when you get home you must be working to hard. :)

:lol:

I just re-read what I wrote and see what you mean... The scary thing is that I wasn't working yesterday. :)

- Merg

#57 OFFLINE   tedesco455

tedesco455

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

The way to enable your wired ethernet connection is to connect a known working ethernet cable to the port on your receiver, then go into "Network Setup" and choose "Restore Defaults" this way it forgets the Key and SSID for your wireless network. You should really notice a performance improvement on OnDemand downloads as the network latancy and packet loss will be much lower. This was on a HR44/500.

Edited by tedesco455, 10 December 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#58 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

It also works by simply rebooting with an ethernet cable plugged in. It always will chose wired over wireless.

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,994 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

The way to enable your wired ethernet connection is to connect a known working ethernet cable to the port on your receiver, then go into "Network Setup" and choose "Restore Defaults" this way it forgets the Key and SSID for your wireless network. You should really notice a performance improvement on OnDemand downloads as the network latancy and packet loss will be much lower. This was on a HR44/500.

Welcome to DBSTalk! Nice explanation, too.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#60 OFFLINE   cltmayberry

cltmayberry

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

...so it has been almost 6 months since the last posting to this topic...  I happened to stumble across this thread via Google search for HR-44 and ethernet connection.  First a wee bit of background to me and my setup..  

I have been setup with DirecTV for over 2 years using an HR-24 and 2 'remote' boxes in the bedrooms.  My HR-24 was connected to a DECA via ethernet cable connection that I have connected to a 'power-line' ethernet connection to my wireless router switchport connection.  This setup works like greesed lightning.  Now, time for a subscription renewal, finding out that I qualify for the free HR-44 with 2 genie-minis.  I get the equipment next day (shocked), and evaluate the equipment.  

-my professional background-  I work as a network engineer for a very large bank, and coordinate setup and installs for cisco routers/switches, firewalls, etc..  run packet capture and analysis, etc...  so, I know what I am looking at and what the hardware is.  

I notice the ethernet port on the rear of the HR-44 with a rubberized plug in it, likely protecting from 'outside stuff'..   I am very interested in continuing to use my wired ethernet connection, as my wireless signal to the downstairs living room area is fairly weak, and wireless is an inferior communication for streaming media, etc.  I removed the HR-24 and the DECA box/coax/ethernet, and plug the ethernet cable into the HR-44, along with the other TV/media connections and turn on the equipment for the first time.  I initially receive a 'service error' due to the fact my equipment had not yet been activated on my account.  I detail this, because my call with DirecTV support was very interesting, especially when I asked if i could use the ethernet port rather than wireless.  The response was...  maybe, but it is preferred to use wireless. Very vague and no explanation as to why, just that they 'suggest it'.  

After the support call, the HR-44 is ready to go, i check all settings, and find that under the 'network' settings area, i had the option to either use automatic or manual configuration, here seeing that my HR-44 had obtained a DHCP IP address via the wired connection.  sweet!..  I check all the on-demand items, and internal weather/sports apps... all working..    Next, I move the HR-24 to the bedroom, connect to coax only and after a few minutes, i am able to see on the HR-44 the recorded shows..  a confirmation that the 'whole-home' DVR works.

Calling direcTV support a second time to install the genie-mini in the 2nd bedroom (device activation issue again), i again ask, if a wired ethernet connection work with the HR-44?..  This time, the response was almost laughable (from a senior tech, btw)... 

"we do not advise connecting the HR-44 to a wired connection for the reason that the 'other' network traffic on your network would interfere with the communications on your HR-44."    ....uh.. ok..   my reply was... "and how does using a wireless signal, which can conflict with many more devices, network and otherwise, make the connection any more compatible?"    ... and the response.. "the HR-44 is designed to operate at a much more efficient level over wireless, such that using a wired connection is not advisable" ...    also from the tech..  "if you have issues with wifi signal strength to your HR-44, we can ship you a DECA device that you can use a wired connection to connect with."   ....   so again..  it seems that not even direcTV senior techs have a clue how or why to use the ethernet jack on the HR-44.  

-a note to those reading this that is thinking why I am not using the DECA with the HR-44 genie, is that the hardware that makes the DECA 'box' what it is, is now included internally in the HR-44.  So, if any direcTV tech tried to tell you different is incorrect.

so, there still lies the mystery of the little HR-44 ethernet port.  I will be sure to ask my lovely direcTV support about this again, when I finish watching all my shows from the HR-24 and replace with the 2nd genie-mini.  This time with more of a training lesson mentality rather than dumb sheep like replies.  

enjoy!

Edited by cltmayberry, 10 July 2014 - 08:11 AM.

spam firewall