Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing HR44 from wireless Connection to Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the report, and welcome to the forum! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   sean10780

sean10780

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

I had a 44 installed yesterday to replace a 34 that was connected by ethernet cable to my router ( they're right next to each other ). The installer said that there may be occasional dropouts of the whole home connection to my other dvr ( an HR 22 ) by using the cable instead of the wireless network. So the installers are being told to urge the wireless connection. What he said didn't really make sense to me but I didn't want to dispute him and he was very nice about it and just connected the cable. I don't think any settings were manually changed it just picked up the ethernet connection when it completed its set up routine. He did say that if I experienced some whole home dropouts to try disconnecting the cable and connecting to my wifi network instead. I'm not really expecting any problems due to this.

I too had an HR 44 installed the other day as well and was told the same thing. After the installer left, i setup the Lan connection like my HR 34 was setup and have had no issues since.

#78 OFFLINE   BakoDan

BakoDan

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a post here encouraging everyone to use an ethernet connection to interface their HR44 to their LAN network if possible.  Their DirecTV system (MRV, DirecTV App, On Demand viewing & streaming, etc.) will work much better than when interfacing via a wireless connection.

I had an HR44-500 Genie DVR installed on April 29, 2015.  The installer insisted that it had to interface with my LAN wirelessly in order for the Whole Home DVR (i.e. MRV) system to work.  After reading about this issue on this forum and on the DirecTV forum, I decided to connect the HR44 using the ethernet port.  Everything now works better as a result including the MRV system.

In order to switch from a wireless connection to a wired connection, I simply ran a Cat5e cable from an ethernet port on my router to the ethernet port on the HR44, entered the network setup menu on the HR44, and selected "Reset to Default Settings."  Once the HR44 completed the reset of the network settings, it instantly connected to my LAN using the ethernet connection.  It was not necessary to reboot the HR44.

My Equipment

HR44-500

HR21-200

HR21-200

HR23-700

HR24-500

C41W-500

WVBR0-25

MULTI-SWITCH SWM 16

#79 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

A number of folks have found this works well for them, me among them.

Welcome to DBSTalk!

#80 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a post here encouraging everyone to use an ethernet connection to interface their HR44 to their LAN network if possible.  Their DirecTV system (MRV, DirecTV App, On Demand viewing & streaming, etc.) will work much better than when interfacing via a wireless connection.

I had an HR44-500 Genie DVR installed on April 29, 2015.  The installer insisted that it had to interface with my LAN wirelessly in order for the Whole Home DVR (i.e. MRV) system to work.  After reading about this issue on this forum and on the DirecTV forum, I decided to connect the HR44 using the ethernet port.  Everything now works better as a result including the MRV system.

In order to switch from a wireless connection to a wired connection, I simply ran a Cat5e cable from an ethernet port on my router to the ethernet port on the HR44, entered the network setup menu on the HR44, and selected "Reset to Default Settings."  Once the HR44 completed the reset of the network settings, it instantly connected to my LAN using the ethernet connection.  It was not necessary to reboot the HR44.

My Equipment

HR44-500

HR21-200

HR21-200

HR23-700

HR24-500

C41W-500

WVBR0-25

MULTI-SWITCH SWM 16

Don't understand why WHDVR would work better since if you've got all the receivers in the SWiM network then the signal doesn't use the wireless signal all all.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#81 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,461 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Don't understand why WHDVR would work better since it you've got all the receivers in the SWiM network then the signal doesn't use the wireless signal all all.

Right, there should be no difference in MRV wether the internet connection is done wifi or hardwired.  Good catch !

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#82 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,461 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a post here encouraging everyone to use an ethernet connection to interface their HR44 to their LAN network if possible. 

There is a current thread here where it seems tag using the Genie as a bridge is not as convenient as using a dedicated BroadBand DECA.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#83 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

There is a current thread here where it seems tag using the Genie as a bridge is not as convenient as using a dedicated BroadBand DECA.  

I thought the operative word was "speed"! i.e., that the DECA was faster than wired HR44s, which are both faster than a wireless connection.

#84 OFFLINE   BakoDan

BakoDan

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:51 PM

Don't understand why WHDVR would work better since if you've got all the receivers in the SWiM network then the signal doesn't use the wireless signal all all.

My bad.  You are correct; the MRV signal travels between all DVRs via the SWiM network using MoCA networking technology - not internet.  I overstated the results of interfacing the LAN and the HR44 as it pertains to MRV performance.  My main point concerning MRV was simply that interfacing the LAN and the HR44 via an ethernet connection would not interfere with MRV performance (as has been insinuated by many a DirecTV installer and/or CSR).  However, I do believe there are subtle improvements to the MRV system since I changed my LAN interface from wireless to ethernet.  The most noticeable improvement is that I am now able to see all my DVRs via the DirecTV App on my Samsung Galaxy 3 tablet.  Previously, only 1 or 2 DVRs were visible on my tablet.  I get that technically this isn't an MRV issue, however it is my opinion that visibility of all DVRs on the LAN is a big benefit of having MRV service.  For whatever reason, I did not have this visibility prior to interfacing the LAN with the HR44 via ethernet.

#85 OFFLINE   BakoDan

BakoDan

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:56 PM

I think I get that; if the router and the Genie aren't in the same location, it would certainly be more convenient to use a CCK (i.e. Broadband DECA) assuming that a SWiM connection is available in the same location as the router.

#86 OFFLINE   BakoDan

BakoDan

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:01 AM

I thought the operative word was "speed"! i.e., that the DECA was faster than wired HR44s, which are both faster than a wireless connection.

What's the difference in speed when comparing an ethernet connected HR44 versus a wired CCK (i.e. Broadband DECA)?  I take it that the wired CCK is better/faster than the MoCA converter imbedded in the HR44?

#87 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:27 AM

What's the difference in speed when comparing an ethernet connected HR44 versus a wired CCK (i.e. Broadband DECA)?  I take it that the wired CCK is better/faster than the MoCA converter imbedded in the HR44?

That was my understanding from another's post on the subject. I don't recall if he had actual numbers for comparison or not. 

#88 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,461 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:11 AM

The consensus on that thread is that the HR44 is not a great "bridge" for the entire MRV network as a BroadBand DECA would be. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#89 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,461 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

I think I get that; if the router and the Genie aren't in the same location, it would certainly be more convenient to use a CCK (i.e. Broadband DECA) assuming that a SWiM connection is available in the same location as the router.

You don't need a coax connection at the router if you have an ethernet connection at the Genie.  You can simply use a 2 way SWM green label splitter to feed the Genie and BroadBand DECA

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#90 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

My experience isn't based upon speed but reliability.  with the wifi connection my HR44 would disconnect all the time - don't think it ever lasted more that 2 days and most of time it didn't last more than a couple of hours.  I hooked up the direct connect over a month ago and has not failed.

I'll trade reliablilty for some speed anyday.

#91 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

My experience isn't based upon speed but reliability. with the wifi connection my HR44 would disconnect all the time - don't think it ever lasted more that 2 days and most of time it didn't last more than a couple of hours. I hooked up the direct connect over a month ago and has not failed.
I'll trade reliablilty for some speed anyday.

You did not lose any speed.

#92 OFFLINE   mfmathis

mfmathis

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationChapmanville, WV

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

I had to do the same procedure to switch my HR44 from wireless to wired connection, just go to network setup menu and select "Reset to Default Settings" and you are switched to wired connection.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...