Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing HR44 from wireless Connection to Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk!

Well, you are certainly correct in that there are some large gaps in knowledge and training among some CSRs, and your knowledge seems sound. Was there a question in there? i.e, are you all set? Welcome and good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   cltmayberry

cltmayberry

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

thank you for the kind welcome..  Just one question really...  what is it that DirecTV is hiding in that magical ethernet port?   LOL..  

mostly just wanted to share my experiences, to encourage others that you can use a wired connection, no matter what DirecTV says.

#63 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

IIRC the techs are being told on HR44 installs that using wireless is the preferred connection method.

I had a 44 installed yesterday to replace a 34 that was connected by ethernet cable to my router ( they're right next to each other ). The installer said that there may be occasional dropouts of the whole home connection to my other dvr ( an HR 22 ) by using the cable instead of the wireless network. So the installers are being told to urge the wireless connection. What he said didn't really make sense to me but I didn't want to dispute him and he was very nice about it and just connected the cable. I don't think any settings were manually changed it just picked up the ethernet connection when it completed its set up routine. He did say that if I experienced some whole home dropouts to try disconnecting the cable and connecting to my wifi network instead. I'm not really expecting any problems due to this.

#64 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

what is it that DirecTV is hiding in that magical ethernet port?   LOL..  

Nothing magical about it.  DirecTV® does not train its techs or CSR to use this type of direct connection.  This is why this connection is "unsupported" but works the same as if using a DECA BB

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#65 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I had a 44 installed yesterday to replace a 34 that was connected by ethernet cable to my router ( they're right next to each other ). The installer said that there may be occasional dropouts of the whole home connection to my other dvr ( an HR 22 ) by using the cable instead of the wireless network. So the installers are being told to urge the wireless connection. What he said didn't really make sense to me but I didn't want to dispute him and he was very nice about it and just connected the cable. I don't think any settings were manually changed it just picked up the ethernet connection when it completed its set up routine. He did say that if I experienced some whole home dropouts to try disconnecting the cable and connecting to my wifi network instead. I'm not really expecting any problems due to this.

There's way too much BS on the part of some installers, and some of them are motivated solely by the fact they get paid more for the wireless installation rather than the wired. It makes no sense whatsoever, and is confusing to those who know about connections, and annoying to those who know a lot about them. It's something DIRECTV® should address as it wastes time and money. 

#66 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

some of them are motivated solely by the fact they get paid more for the wireless installation rather than the wired.

Is the other way around 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#67 OFFLINE   cltmayberry

cltmayberry

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

what I think is the most amusing part (or frustrating for most) is that technically speaking, by no way whatsoever is a wireless connection any more reliable than a wired connection.  Looking again at the rear of the HR-24, I do see that it also has an ethernet connection that I never paid attention to.  I was just following along with the tech installing the DECA box.  Is it likely that the HR-24 ethernet port could also work?  I'm doubting that it would, but why would it be there in the first place?  What I do know is that whomever makes the DECA box is raking in $$$ on sales of a likely unnecessary device.

On my next support call to DirecTV, I will make it an asserted effort to get a real answer regarding the ethernet port on the HR-44....and hopefully not piss anyone off enough that they might remotely disable it..    ;)

#68 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

what I think is the most amusing part (or frustrating for most) is that technically speaking, by no way whatsoever is a wireless connection any more reliable than a wired connection.  

oh yea it is.  Wireless is susceptible to all kinds of interference and the farther you are way from it, the worse it gets.  With hard wired as long as you are with in specs, 100 meters there is no reduction in quality 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#69 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Looking again at the rear of the HR-24, I do see that it also has an ethernet connection that I never paid attention to.  I was just following along with the tech installing the DECA box.  Is it likely that the HR-24 ethernet port could also work? 

As long as your HR24 is the only lonely box in your set up, you can use the ethernet port.  Unlike the Genie, using the HR24 ethernet port disable its DECA adapter.  You can of course run your WHDVR network over cat5, but that means running to wires to each location without any added benefit 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#70 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

oh yea it is.  Wireless is susceptible to all kinds of interference and the farther you are way from it, the worse it gets.  With hard wired as long as you are with in specs, 100 meters there is no reduction in quality 

Um, I think you guys agree..  ;)

• cltmayberry likes this

#71 OFFLINE   cltmayberry

cltmayberry

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

yeah sorry... I was trying to say that wireless is such a horrible means of receiving streaming media. Use cat5 or power line Ethernet to unreachable areas. DirecTV needs to take a class.

#72 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

This is the second post in a row where you've mixed up the subject and the object. He had it right. 

#73 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

I think there's been a lot of confusing information about that ethernet connection over the years, even pre genies. I remember once when I already had the whole home service set up with two HRs connecting to the internet, the main HR in my living room had to be replaced. At that time I had my modem and router on the top floor of my house and I was using those power line ethernet adapters to make an ethernet connection to that primary HR. It wound up having to be replaced and when the guy came out he was adamant that the only way to do this was run a cable through the walls and floors to the HR from the upstairs router. When I told him I can just connect the ethernet cable from the power line adapter to it he became angry and just said "if you're happy fine" and just left. Even some on here were telling me that this was an unsupported way of making this connection but it worked fine and I never had any problems with it. I even had someone from DTV try to make me get one of those Cinema connection kits even when I was able to move my modem and router down to the floor where the primary HR is and no longer needed the power line adapters.

At least the guy that came out with the 44 was not in anyway pushy about using the wireless connection, he was just mentioning that he had heard about/seen? some issues with the whole home service using the ethernet connection. Haven't seen a problem yet and don't really expect to.

#74 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

This is the second post in a row where you've mixed up the subject and the object. He had it right.

glad you keeping score....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#75 OFFLINE   no_target

no_target

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

I had this problem today and discovered this:

- Once wireless has been configured on the HR44, it is "stuck" in that configuration until the network settings are reset to defaults

So - if you want to go from a wireless configuration back to ethernet / wired, you have to enter network settings, reset to defaults, then redo network setup.  Once I did this, my configuration was fully based on a single ethernet connection to my LAN network on which my TVs, HR44 and internet router are connected.

#76 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the report, and welcome to the forum! 

#77 OFFLINE   sean10780

sean10780

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

I too had an HR 44 installed the other day as well and was told the same thing. After the installer left, i setup the Lan connection like my HR 34 was setup and have had no issues since.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...