Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Monoprice Component to Composite Converter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi all,

I need somebody who knows to check my math.

Currently I have an H20 feeding the HDTV via HDMI and then I'm sending the composite + analog audio out of the box and into the wall (for distribution to non-HDTVs).  Fortunately, this box (H20) allows for simultaneous output of both HD (HDMI) and SD (composite) signals. I do not have any premium channels (HBO, etc, the 500s or ever use PPV).  On most, but not all occasions, the HDMI-connected HDTV is off when using the SD feed. This has been working perfectly for years. 

I'm planning on swapping the H20 for a newer receiver (not DVR) and I know that newer receiver will not have SD outputs, or at least not allow, simutaneous outputs over both HD and SD ouputs.  My understanding is that I will be limited to outputting using only HDMI and component for simutaneous outputs.  In steps the Monoprice component-to-composite device.  I'm planning to continue to output HDMI to the HDTV and then output component into the monoprice device and then composite out of the monoprice device and then into the wall.

I've been searching on DBSTalk and have gotten myself a little confused and just want to make sure my understanding is correct.  NOTE: please realize I am not talking about premium channels or PPV.  I know they have special requirements.

Questions:

1) I do not have to worry about putting the analog audio into the monoprice and instead I can take the L+R audio out of the box and run it straight into the wall because all audio outputs (HDMI, optical, analog) are always active.  Correct?

2) The component outputs will always be active and it doesn't matter if the HDMI-connected HDTV is on or off.  Correct?

3) I will not have any nag screens on any of the outputs.  Correct?

4) I assume that if I tune in a 3D channel (ie, ESPN 3D), the 3D picture will be displayed on the HDMI-connected HDTV and the SD feed will go blank.  Correct?

I really appreciate the answers because if I screw this up I will never be able to get back my H20.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

I don't know what will happen with the 3D programming but honestly, there isn't much programming on those channels.

Otherwise you are right in every case.

You should know that the component and composite outputs are active; the reason to get the converter is just to get rid of the nag screens.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

1) Correct.  That's the way I'm doing it

2) Probably?  For my HR20, H21, and HR 34 it's correct.  All connected to the media room set via HDMI and using the Component out for the converter.

3) No nags.

4) I have no idea, but enjoy your 3D while you still can.

#4 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks guys.  Peace of mind is a good thing.

spam firewall