Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Primeval on SyFy not called new episodes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I think I would want the guide data to show first run even if it was on a different US channel for the first time in syndication.  I don't get UK channels and the show is as brand new to me as the Soprano's were to those who did not get HBO when they started airing that series on national tv.

I obviously have been missing Primeval and Continuum and did not know it until this thread. How much have I missed?

Setting a first run flag is quite different than what others have suggested, changing the first aired date.  A first run flag should be present, I agree.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

The issue only occurs if you use First Run only. I use Both and have no issues, the DVR is smart enough to not record the same episode multiple times

That's how my Series Link is setup, for "Both", and I haven't missed and episode and have no dupes either.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

First Run must be a DirectTV term. I record 'New' without problems.

#24 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

They need to change the title to this thread.  Those with Dish do not have this problem.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

They need to change the title to this thread.  Those with Dish do not have this problem.

Not to mention it's not about Primeval, it's about Primeval: New World, 2 different shows.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

I have issue with all BBCA & SyFy that have First Showings outside of the USA. So it is one of my Saturday morning chores to check the next week Series Manager.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

I have issue with all BBCA & SyFy that have First Showings outside of the USA. So it is one of my Saturday morning chores to check the next week Series Manager.

Set the Series Links to "Both" and you won't have to.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

I started this thread and have dish. So, at least my dish 722k does not see them as new episodes. I had to set it to all episodes. Yes, the 722 is smart enough to only keep one copy when it repeats.

There is some point where it will record it again. I don't know what logic it uses, but I have other timers like that and after a few months it records them again.

- Jeff 722, 922, 501

- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#29 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think you need to ask tribune media services about this guide issue

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#30 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

It's not a "problem", it's going by the actual first aired date. 

"Primeval" is a BBC show that airs in the UK first.  "Continuum" is a Canadian show that airs in Canada first.  SyFy respects those air dates and treats them as they should.

I would have to disagree with your last statement.  I think for a series it would be more appropriate to give the First Aired dates for the country it is showing in.  In other words, Primeval episode 16 may have a first aired date in the UK of 1 Jan 2012 but a first aired date of 6 June 2013 in the US.  This would avoid problems with DVRs as well as confusion of whether an episode you saw in the UK aired in the US yet.

Then that wouldn't be a "First Aired Date" at all.  It would be a "First US Aired Date".  I respect SyFy for not being so arrogant in thinking they should change a "First Aired Date". 

While there are valid arguments on both sides, EP guides lists the original air date as the one from the Canadian airing, so if that is a second authoritative source, they are in agreement.  I have to agree, as long as the date is called the "original air date" it should be the Canadian air date.  If they change it to the original US air date, then it would make sense to change it.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

spam firewall