Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which Soundbar Works with HR21-100 Remote?

soundbar remote RC64 HR21-100

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm really starting to get confused. I'd like to buy a soundbar to use with my TV (SONY EX710 HDTV.) For whatever it's worth, it says it has:

Audio Out : Variable/Fixed

Audio Out : 1 (Rear)
Digital Audio Output(s) : Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear)

I have an HR21-100 with a RC64 remote and I'd really like for this remote to control the sounbar.

Before I buy something that won't work with this remote, I thought I'd ask.

THNX!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Don't take this as the definitive answer, but I'd assume if you send the TV's variable sound output to the soundbar, your normal TV volume controls, including your dtv remote, will do the job.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

I would not buy anything just because it works with the DirecTV receiver or remote. What happens if you switch providers, or the sleek feature that you really want is not the one compatible? and as far as I am concern, I would stay away from soundbars.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Don't take this as the definitive answer, but I'd assume if you send the TV's variable sound output to the soundbar, your normal TV volume controls, including your dtv remote, will do the job.

My concern is that I read a posting on the AVS forum where someone with a Vizio TV & a Vizio sound bar couldn't get the variable sound solution to work with the D* remote!

I think they eventually had to stick with the sound bar's tiny remote or buy a Logitech Harmony remote.

In the same posting, someone with a Samsung never could get the volume to adjust!!

I have to believe there must be some sound bars that are compatible with D*!!!

#5 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

The Sonos sound bar "learns" the volume control IR signal that it uses.

So, you'd basically go into your TV's menu and tell it to always MUTE its own speakers and to do a fixed output on the audio out.  Then you'd program the SONOS to respond to your TV's volume up/down/mute.

I think that getting a real universal remote like the Logitech Harmony is probably a more cost effective solution, but the Sonos meets the OP's requirement. :-)

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

In the forum you have already been on,

There are a lot of posts about this same question. I typed in "sound bar" and searched the remote section of the forum.

You will find some that never had a good answer and several that did get a remote code to work their sound bar.

http://forums.direct...=advancedsearch

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   shollowa74

shollowa74

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

I am kind of in the same boat - I recently bought a JBL Soundbar (JBL 200, I believe) and the turned off the speakers to my Samsung TV.  The soundbar can learn the TVs volume control signal, but the problem is that every time I adjust the volume I get an annoying banner on the TV that says something like "function not operable").  I really need a code to control the JBL rather than the Samsung sound because I cannot turn off the annoying Samsung banner.

SWM Dish

#8 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

The Sonos sound bar "learns" the volume control IR signal that it uses.

So, you'd basically go into your TV's menu and tell it to always MUTE its own speakers and to do a fixed output on the audio out.  Then you'd program the SONOS to respond to your TV's volume up/down/mute.

I think that getting a real universal remote like the Logitech Harmony is probably a more cost effective solution, but the Sonos meets the OP's requirement. :-)

I looked at the SONOS, but I agree I'd be better off with a Harmony remote.

#9 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

In the forum you have already been on,

There are a lot of posts about this same question. I typed in "sound bar" and searched the remote section of the forum.

You will find some that never had a good answer and several that did get a remote code to work their sound bar.

http://forums.direct...=advancedsearch

I did that search before I posted here and found a lot of conflicting issues. One person suggests a solution and 2 people thank them, then 2 people say it didn't work.

I thought I'd see if someone had an definitive suggestions.

I'll have to read some more......

#10 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I am kind of in the same boat - I recently bought a JBL Soundbar (JBL 200, I believe) and the turned off the speakers to my Samsung TV.  The soundbar can learn the TVs volume control signal, but the problem is that every time I adjust the volume I get an annoying banner on the TV that says something like "function not operable").  I really need a code to control the JBL rather than the Samsung sound because I cannot turn off the annoying Samsung banner.

I feel your pain....I've seen your problem discussed in various forums with no specific solutions.

#11 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

I sent my question directly to the DirecTV technical folks and the best they could suggest is that the remotes don't have codes for any sound bar.

They sent me the generic suggestion about stepping through the library codes in my remote.

Oh well....sounds like using any specific sound bar is a crap shoot.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

I did that search before I posted here and found a lot of conflicting issues. One person suggests a solution and 2 people thank them, then 2 people say it didn't work.

I thought I'd see if someone had an definitive suggestions.

I'll have to read some more......

If a solution worked for 2 people it works. The other 2 just did not do it correctly.

Also, they might have had the older model number of the remote. If I was getting one I would also get the new RC65X remote since it has the latest codes and when new ones come out the receiver can send them to the remote. It has 2 way communication.

Have you talked to the people in your local Best Buy store ? They might know. If they don't would they give you the right to return one that you pick out and exchange it for another one ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

I would never trust any of the Best Buy sales reps. Most of the time they tell you want you want to hear to make a sale
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

I sent my question directly to the DirecTV technical folks and the best they could suggest is that the remotes don't have codes for any sound bar.

They sent me the generic suggestion about stepping through the library codes in my remote.

Oh well....sounds like using any specific sound bar is a crap shoot.

How about you going to the store and listening to 2 or 3 brands , write down the brand and model numbers of the ones you like  and let's search to see what we can find on them working with the DTV remote.

So far I have found Samsung and Vizio that work with the DTV remote from reading many posts.

#15 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Samsung HW-D450 and up don't work with the DTV remote. However the HW-C450 works with the DTV remote I believe. 

I bought a Harmony 200 for about $20 at RadioShack and now it all works great but I'd prefer the DirecTV remote.

#16 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Since your soundbar can be taught the commands, just don't learn the samsungs volume commands, program av1 or av2 device with say sony audio code 30158. now teach that to the soundbar. To get the sony volume in all devices:

1. av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 9 3

4. press SELECT

Also before teaching the commands from directv remote programmed with sony commands, to get cleaner learns turn extra signal included with each press of the volume key on directv remotes:

1. av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 6 3

4. press CH DOWN

aka Tivoburkee

#17 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

If a solution worked for 2 people it works. The other 2 just did not do it correctly.

Also, they might have had the older model number of the remote. If I was getting one I would also get the new RC65X remote since it has the latest codes and when new ones come out the receiver can send them to the remote. It has 2 way communication.

Have you talked to the people in your local Best Buy store ? They might know. If they don't would they give you the right to return one that you pick out and exchange it for another one ?

You might very well be correct that  some people will always have problems, no matter what help they get. (I've been known to struggle on many occasions!)

Is the RC65X remote definitely better and am I reading it correctly that they are selling new on eBay for like $7 ???

#18 OFFLINE   philherz

philherz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

How about you going to the store and listening to 2 or 3 brands , write down the brand and model numbers of the ones you like  and let's search to see what we can find on them working with the DTV remote.

So far I have found Samsung and Vizio that work with the DTV remote from reading many posts.

I've been looking at the Vizio SB4021-B0 and searching the forums for a definitive answer if the RC64 will work to control it.

I see suggestions that it will, but an RC65 is required or even that a Harmony is needed.

Not sure what to believe.

#19 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

You might very well be correct that  some people will always have problems, no matter what help they get. (I've been known to struggle on many occasions!)

Is the RC65X remote definitely better and am I reading it correctly that they are selling new on eBay for like $7 ???

Yes, I just bought an RC65RX ( the second R designates it is a RF and IR remote )  remote on Ebay for $6.15 , included shipping.

Yes, it has codes that the RC64 does not have. It is also 2 way communication with the 24 or higher model number receivers.

Edited by jimmie57, 24 June 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

I've been looking at the Vizio SB4021-B0 and searching the forums for a definitive answer if the RC64 will work to control it.

I see suggestions that it will, but an RC65 is required or even that a Harmony is needed.

Not sure what to believe.

Not sure what to believe??? Duh all Soundbars are different and it is hit or miss on whether or not the RC64 or Even the RC65RX will control your soundbar.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soundbar, remote, RC64, HR21-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...